Spread the field and run gurley !

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I don't see why the offense does not spread 4 Recievers and have gurley in shotgun with the qb . Keenum set every ncaa record playing from the spread offense and teams could not stack the box. I'm no offensive coordinator but I just keep waiting for this and they never do it .

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Goff would thrive in such a scheme. And holes would 'magically ' open for Gurley.

There is no reason we can't run an offense similar to Pitt... other than our offensive coaching staff and of course Fisher.

:deadhorse:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't see why the offense does not spread 4 Recievers and have gurley in shotgun with the qb . Keenum set every ncaa record playing from the spread offense and teams could not stack the box. I'm no offensive coordinator but I just keep waiting for this and they never do it .
A completely logical question! I would like to know why too!! (y)
That said a lot of illogical things have happened lately, like the Rams Losing 3 straight to Teams they should have Beat!!:cool:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler

There is no reason we can't run an offense similar to Pitt...

The original post suggests something more similar to a college spread, like Chip Kelly's offense (I think?).. not Pitt.. Obviously I'm against the former, but I would love to see something similar to Pitt. Sadly I think Fisher is way too enamored with west coast offense elements that make the Rams offense just as boring and predictable as most NFL offenses, than the Coryell elements that make the Pitt offense special -- and of course used to make the Rams special oh so long ago. The Rams used to have the most fun playbook, now you have to go elsewhere to see it: a breakdown of the Steelers offense.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
To be honest I'd love for us to run more from the shotgun. I mean the #1 pick we got was made for it. Plus, from what I've seen so far this year Gurley has had better lanes when we spread it out. The pro formation is getting us pretty much nothing this year, running anyway.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I agree with this. They have spread it out from time to time but i don't think they're running very much out of the 4 WR sets enough. I could be wrong.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
Because why would fisher ever adapt and change to what works. We run it up the gut in the same formation because "it's our identity!"

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
i think spreading the field rather than loading the box with a fb and te or 2 would help gurley, but at the same time hes better as a downhill runner. Personally I'd like them to run pistol so you can get both of those but thats me

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Gurley did better with the zone blocking scheme. One cut and go just like Dickerson. I think they may have to bring that back next year, or figure out something similar because he is not a sideways runner that makes three sharp cuts before seeing daylight. His game is speed and subtle cuts to avoid contact. Why draft him and then not play to his strengths?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I agree with this. They have spread it out from time to time but i don't think they're running very much out of the 4 WR sets enough. I could be wrong.
I have to re-watch the last three games, specifically they ran from 3 and 4 wide receiver sets with more consistent success. Shotgun too with Gurley lined up behind Keenum.

Sometimes it was a tight end and two wide out. Sometimes trips with a tight end mixed in there. And sometimes it's two tight ends with one or both lined up more like a slot receiver.

I love those looks because it's harder for the defense to guess what's coming at them.

It's true, you're not fooling the defense when you're trying to rush between the tackles and you have two tight ends lined up tight, a fullback and one lonely wide wide out unless it actually is a pass to the wide out, who often seems open on every one of those plays. That's just frustrating to watch.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So we run 4 wide and no Tight Ends?
I'm all for it, but that seems like a tailor made offense for a QB coming directly out of the Bear Raid offense.
Why on earth would Fisher design an offense that accentuates Goff's strengths??

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The basic idea of the spread offenses is sound, to dictate to the defense by simply spreading them out. That type of approach is the future of this league, why teams don't recognize it and get ahead of it is mind boggling.

Yeah, I'm all for it. Make one of those four guys Higbee, too, quit making the dude block and use him to his strengths which are catching the MFing ball.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This type of change doesn't make that much sense to me. Going from a west coast run oriented offense to an air raid spread offense mid-season? There is a learning curve associated with that as a unit. This type of change might suit Keenum and Goff best but what about the matchup problems an already struggling offensive line would face when implementing a whole new blocking scheme on the fly? This type of thing takes at least an off-season to get going.