Sports Science: How Goff and Wentz compare to NFL QBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
For those who can't watch the video...

Wentz has a release about 1/100th of a second faster than the NFL average, while Goff is 3/100th of a second faster. According to this report that little bit of time can make quite a difference because it's the length of a football. Goff also had a slightly better velocity than Wentz. Goff is compared to Derek Carr, while Wentz is compared to Blake Bortles. Interesting stuff. Thanks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Interesting that Goff's launch velocity is faster than Wentz. I already knew he had a buttery smooth, and quick release, but even that is faster than I thought it was. I love these things, even when they don't mean anything sometimes. Wentz has a really quick release also, which we already knew, especially for a big guy.

Goff compares to Derek Carr, and Wentz to Blake Bortles. I'd take that.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
For those who can't watch the video...

Wentz has a release about 1/100th of a second faster than the NFL average, while Goff is 3/100th of a second faster. According to this report that little bit of time can make quite a difference because it's the length of a football. Goff also had a slightly better velocity than Wentz. Goff is compared to Derek Carr, while Wentz is compared to Blake Bortles. Interesting stuff. Thanks.

Wentz release as fast as Brady, and Goff, .o2 tenths faster.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I'd take either with those comps. I can't wait for the next 24 hours to fly by!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think i stopped watching sports science after they showed mardy gilyard, blindfolded, running a route and catching a ball.

then he played for the rams and we found out he could neither run routes properly or catch a football.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think i stopped watching sports science after they showed mardy gilyard, blindfolded, running a route and catching a ball.

then he played for the rams and we found out he could neither run routes properly or catch a football.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT

It's probably the coaches fault for not blindfolding him in the game.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Gilyard was assigned to the Jacksonville Sharks of the Arena Football League but"refused to report." Next up, the Toledo Mudhens or something like that. Poor guy. He was a decent kick returner though while with the Rams.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Did they say Goff has the bigger arm? Could of sworn that was one of Wentz +s from alot of people.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Did they say Goff has the bigger arm? Could of sworn that was one of Wentz +s from alot of people.

Yeah, it seems like his velocity is slightly better. I think the perception among many was that Wentz had the stronger arm. Either way I think their velocity is so close it doesn't matter. Goff definitely is more active moving in the pocket while Wentz likes to stand tall and deliver a strike. Is one method better than the other? Probably not.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Initial launch velocity does not always translate to overall distance.

I've explained it in other threads and I'll repeat why if you want to know, but if not, I'll just let that statement stand. It's mostly just explaining the simple physics of flight dynamics.

Goff has a slightly higher initial launch velocity. It does not translate to overall greater distance or a more optimal flight path on throws longer than 40 yards in the air as compared to Wentz.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I think this whole "ceiling" bullshit is just that. How does Goff has a lower ceiling?

He played behind a porous line, against better defenses and a lacking running game. Yet he put up better numbers in every catagory, while wentz, who I really like, had more time, while never playing against a defense that outmatched North Dakota s offense. If anything, wentz is at the floor because despite not yet experiencing the pressure of superior defenses, his numbers were nowhere near Goffs., and Goff, has a much higher ceiling because if he can do what he did with a 1 - 11 team, while avoiding the pass rush as he did, then imagine what he can do - his ceiling - when he has a top 10 defense, a much better oline, and a top 3 running game. Never did care for that ceiling phrase. How the fuck do these guys think they know anyone's ceiling.

FloridaBison

Dreamin of the back 9
Name
floridabison
Though all of what has been stated is true, its like a sound bite, and I am pretty certain those that watched the Entire video know exactly what I am talking about.

BTW, I saw this video as interesting only and not a support piece.

Since these comments don't tell the entire story I will paraphrase the last half of the video.

Both guys have different pocket movement.
For Goff, --the foot/body movement that give him fluidity of movement is not always good. If his balance is off, it changes body kinetics which leads to errant throws. Sometimes a lot.
Wentz has a more grounded foundation in his body Mechanics in the pocket. This makes his body mechanics better to throw from. He also has challenges with accuracy though.

MACK explains it better than I. Flippin engineers!!

So. If Goffs foot movement is a "trait", and "something that can't be taught" this will be a challenge for him.
For Wentz, I "think" time will work out his accuracy issues, or not.!!

All in all I like both guys so please don't shoot me. I just believe in telling the whole story.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Wentz release as fast as Brady, and Goff, .o2 tenths faster.
In my view this is at least as valid, and likely more so, a stat than a 40 time at the combine. Goff's .37 second compared to a league average .40, plus his velocity, gives him an advantage in both getting the ball out while being rushed and getting it to the receiver more quickly. Of course, it doesn't measure his anticipation and footwork in the pocket which may also help. To me it confirms his tape: quick twitch, the anti-Foles.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

I've explained it in other threads and I'll repeat why if you want to know, but if not, I'll just let that statement stand. It's mostly just explaining the simple physics of flight dynamics.

Goff has a slightly higher initial launch velocity. It does not translate to overall greater distance or a more optimal flight path on throws longer than 40 yards in the air as compared to Wentz.

Actually Mac, as usual, you've bent the facts to fit your narrative. If you throw a 100 mph football into the ground, it won't go as far as. 10 mph ball thrown into the air. Duh. Thanks for that.

However, if you're accurate, the initial velocity is a MAJOR factor.

You're just flat wrong. Give it up, man.

FloridaBison

Dreamin of the back 9
Name
floridabison
Actually Mac, as usual, you've bent the facts to fit your narrative. If you throw a 100 mph football into the ground, it won't go as far as. 10 mph ball thrown into the air. Duh. Thanks for that.

However, if you're accurate, the initial velocity is a MAJOR factor.

You're just flat wrong. Give it up, man.
I think I am as fair as it gets, and if its my opinion, I say it. Wentz throws the ball farther. The Combine proved it.
Literally every news source supports this as well.
Lastly, these comparisons don't discuss Velocity, speed, and trajectory/arc at several different distances. Heck there is also late loss. The point at which an object is in the air but unstable. I.E. Ball so wobbly it couldn't be caught.
At this point lets please not get into a pissing contest about this.

Its Goff. Chill. I respect Mack for trying to expand the discussion. It is certainly a far cry better than ignoring the back half of the video because it shows why Goff has issues. I hate sound bites. you lose credibility when you do it.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Completely agree Mac, tightness of spiral (aerodynamics ) and arch will greatly affect distance. The great thing about this is with Goff's quick release , velocity and arch there is no arguing that this should get the ball out of the danger zone very quickly and effectively. Remember how Bradford, a tall QB would have a lot of batted passes? This was partially due to the aforementioned traits. I think Goff's delivery point velocity arch and quickness of release should all play out well for him.
I am now interested in seeing how he compares to Wentz and others in terms of batted balls at the l.o.s. That could be a skewed number though due to pressure from the DL as that would not be a linear comparison

Last edited: