Spin zone reports on NFC west

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Good news! Rams are being noticed. This is a good article.

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/07/08/2...inals-st-louis-rams-better-shot-win-nfc-west/

"Who has the better chance to win the NFC West, the Arizona Cardinals or the St. Louis Rams?

Now I obviously still believe that the Seattle Seahawks will triumph in this division, but that is likely not up for debate. What IS up for debate is who has the best chance to upset them (forget the 49ers!), and I actually think it’s the Rams."

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Two things .... 1) our OL needs to come together quickly and 2) we need to stay as healthy as possible. once our depth gets depleted in the OL, LB ... WR or DB's ... we screwed

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The Rams might have an elite defense, but the offense has to do better or it won't matter. As much as Fisher wants to be a run heavy team, Foles has to make plays. I know he's fully capable. He's just gotta do it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Posted on this alot already. Beyond some kind of magical year where we explode like '99....If the Rams want to get a playoff spot it goes through Arizona and 2nd place in the division. Pretty simple.
In a straight up fair fight(health on both sides) i like our chances. They cannot block our front four and Aaron Donald will massacre anyone they put out there at Center. Sendlein, Shipley etc...they are awful.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Good news! Rams are being noticed. This is a good article.

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/07/08/2...inals-st-louis-rams-better-shot-win-nfc-west/

"Who has the better chance to win the NFC West, the Arizona Cardinals or the St. Louis Rams?

Now I obviously still believe that the Seattle Seahawks will triumph in this division, but that is likely not up for debate. What IS up for debate is who has the best chance to upset them (forget the 49ers!), and I actually think it’s the Rams."

Seattle has had two straight Super Bowl appearances. That is three very tough, physical games added to their 16 game schedule. Maybe it will take its toll this year. Baseball players claim it does.

DVontel

Rookie
Posted on this alot already. Beyond some kind of magical year where we explode like '99....If the Rams want to get a playoff spot it goes through Arizona and 2nd place in the division. Pretty simple.
In a straight up fair fight(health on both sides) i like our chances. They cannot block our front four and Aaron Donald will massacre anyone they put out there at Center. Sendlein, Shipley etc...they are awful.
Fair statement.

I will admit I'm more nervous about our interior than our tackles. Blocking Donald, Brockers, & Fairley will be tough. Veldheer did a great job on Quinn both games. Hopefully Massie or Humphries does the same to Long.

But just like you like your chances of your DL against our OL(I don't blame you one bit), I do like our chances of our WRs against your DBs. Look for John Brown to have a breakout season, I know he's going to give secondaries, nightmares(That is, if Carson stays healthy, which I think he will.)

RamzFanz

Damnit
Two things .... 1) our OL needs to come together quickly and 2) we need to stay as healthy as possible. once our depth gets depleted in the OL, LB ... WR or DB's ... we screwed

I agree some. I think Battle and maybe Jones will add to the O line depth in an unexpected way. But, yes, they need to come together quickly!

I also see no depth issue at WR. Britt, Quick, Cook (when WR), Bailey, TA, I'm liking that depth. They are all flashing in TC at least. Although, if you lose 2 or more, I agree.

DBs are worrying me at depth.

Of course, most teams are screwed if you depleted at depth. :unsure:

RamzFanz

Damnit

Like a boss, you are.

Yoda-Retina_2a7ecc26.jpeg

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I agree some. I think Battle and maybe Jones will add to the O line depth in an unexpected way. But, yes, they need to come together quickly!

I also see no depth issue at WR. Britt, Quick, Cook (when WR), Bailey, TA, I'm liking that depth. They are all flashing in TC at least. Although, if you lose 2 or more, I agree.

DBs are worrying me at depth.

Of course, most teams are screwed if you depleted at depth. :unsure:
I truly think our bad luck with injuries ... across the board, as been the biggest downfall to this team taking hte next step. We NEED to stay "reasonably" healthy for a change

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fair statement.

I will admit I'm more nervous about our interior than our tackles. Blocking Donald, Brockers, & Fairley will be tough. Veldheer did a great job on Quinn both games. Hopefully Massie or Humphries does the same to Long.

But just like you like your chances of your DL against our OL(I don't blame you one bit), I do like our chances of our WRs against your DBs. Look for John Brown to have a breakout season, I know he's going to give secondaries, nightmares(That is, if Carson stays healthy, which I think he will.)
JB is a matchup problem with his speed i agree, and Fitz and Floyd have a size advantage vs our corners.
I think i can be pretty objective about this matchup. Your posts tend to be objective too and i appreciate that. I listen to local radio(AZ) i watch the local games too.

All things being equal, and when i say that i'm talking about general team health to its key guys and C.Palmer playing 16 gm's and N.Foles playing 16 gm's...our defense is better than AZ and ultimately that will be the difference this season. It's more physical, the pass rush is top notch, relentless and stacked, and if the latter half of last season is any indication, the run defense is formidable too.

IMO the best way to beat our defense is to be physical up front, run the ball effectively and have a mobile QB who can get out of trouble and make some plays vs our aggressive secondary. I don't see that coming from Arians' offense. Veldeer was a fantastic and smart addition for you guys. Iupati can still be physical in the run game but he's been getting dinged up with age and he'll have his hands full trying to help inside IMO. I think the RT Massie is alot like our former RT Joe Barksdale...he shows up every week and for the most part does his job, but against the rotation of Chris Long and Willy Hayes that's a tall order for 4 qtrs. Cooper may as well be a rookie playing RG next to a bad Center.

Then there's the TE matchups. We have one and until AZ gets one that leaves our LB's free. Gresham? Idk man. Maybe.
The matchup of Rams on offense vs AZ's defense is still a question mark for me, but only because i'm hoping Foles doesn't turn out to be Shaun Hill/Austin Davis in the 2nd half of games....literally throwing the game away with bad decisions. If Foles and company can take care of the damn ball and run the ball effectively, then AZ's secondary will not be a factor(see Seattle)....and IMO there isn't much else there on defense to fear. Not enough talent, speed or pass rush. Our OLine isn't exactly a sure thing either(it could be bad), it's just that i can think of a dozen other teams besides AZ that could stress our OLine more than what AZ brings up front. The new DC will be running the same scheme sure, but what Bowles was able to do last season was pretty amazing.

I respect the Cardinals as a team because we have to beat them. I still don't respect Arians at all for that classless garbage he spewed at the podium AFTER the game, but we'll revisit that later this season. Twice :shades:

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
With a healthy starting caliber Qb behind center for the season our young talent will rise to the top.Our defense is going to put Palmer on the ground a lot I don't see him staying on the field.Lastly Az had a lot luck last year and I really doubt if that repeats itself so they will lose those type of games this year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
With a healthy starting caliber Qb behind center for the season our young talent will rise to the top.Our defense is going to put Palmer on the ground a lot I don't see him staying on the field.Lastly Az had a lot luck last year and I really doubt if that repeats itself so they will lose those type of games this year.
I agree that if Foles can at least stabilize the QB position, that will go a LONG way towards winning those very winnable gm's last season when our defense settled into the system. AZ's passing game will give teams fits this season though IMO, if Palmer stays upright of course.
Man, i would be scared to be a Cardinal QB vs our guys though. The history of wreckage is there. Just sayin.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm giving nothing to any of the other teams in the NFCW. The Rams have been in the games or winning against every NFCW opponent for the last two years with absolute scrubs at QB. This year's team is better than either of those Rams team and will have a better QB no matter if it is Foles, Manion or Keenum.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Fair statement.

Very good assessment, but I will warn you to not think that Veldheer's two games vs Quinn last year will necessarily carry over to this season. I've said it before, but having a healthy Chris Long this season will make him more effective. I'm not predicting anything, just saying. That said, Veldheer was a very good addition for you guys.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Man, i would be scared to be a Cardinal QB vs our guys though. The history of wreckage is there. Just sayin.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't think the Az Qbs will be looking forward to our games on the schedule.They may put up a front and and nonchalant attitude but you know they want nothing to do with our guys.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams offense can start off decently and get to ~24PPG, then I could see them beating anyone in the division.

I just don't have as much confidence in our secondary (they're not "bad", but I'm not convinced they are anything better than average yet).

That said, that front four can mask a lot of deficiences in the secondary with pressure. I can see them creating a lot of chaos, right off the snap.

But the offense simply must produce more than what we've seen fo the past few years... the Oline... Foles.... Gurley... WRs.. TEs... Cigs... Wienke... etc. etc. etc.

If they can't start off decently I don't feel so good about beating our NFC West opponents...

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I respect the Cardinals as a team because we have to beat them. I still don't respect Arians at all for that classless garbage he spewed at the podium AFTER the game, but we'll revisit that later this season. Twice :shades:
Ariana did more with less talent than any other coach in the NFL last year IMO. His statements last year pizzed me off too, but if you're being honest with yourself he was right (at least for that game).
IMO coaching is the X factor in most of the NFCW games, and our coach needs to stepthefuck up in that department and get back to going for the kill. JMO