Spielman says he's had no 'specific talks' with Rams about Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Spielman says he's had no 'specific talks' with Rams about Bradford
by Andrew Krammer
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...specific_talks_with_Rams_about_Bradford050614

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The Minnesota Vikings aren't shopping Christian Ponder and general manager Rick Spielman wants to be clear that he's had no 'specific talks' with the St. Louis Rams about acquiring Sam Bradford.

There are a few reasons to avoid such a deal, Bradford's current contract ($17.6M in 2014, $16.6M in 2015) and his injury history. But Spielman didn't necessarily deny the report that the two sides had talked, only that he personally had not had any 'specific talks' with Rams brass.

Bradford, 26, has had four injury-marred seasons with the Rams since he was drafted first overall in 2010. Answering questions at a press conference on Tuesday at the Vikings' Winter Park training facility, Spielman noted the team would hang onto former 12th-overall pick Christian Ponder for at least this season despite not picking up his fifth-year option last week.

Spielman called not picking up Ponder's option a "business decision" and that they wanted to keep their options open, both on the field and financially. Ponder would've been due around $10 million in 2015 had the Vikings exercised the option, though they would've been able to terminate the deal anytime before next March unless he had an injury that carried over into 2015.

We asked Vikings fans on Monday if they'd be interested in a trade for Bradford after CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported mutual interest.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Did he expect the guy to come out and say "yeah we've really been burning up the phone lines with the Rams and right now we have it mostly drilled down, it'll still take a couple more things to finish it but it'll get done well in advance of the draft"..........I know you gotta ask the question but you know nothing is coming out so no need to report that you asked and got nothing.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
BREAKING NEWS....

The Rams are committed to Sam Bradford.

iced

love how they're getting specific about the use of the word 'specifics' - like specifically over analyzing this to meet their specific agenda..maybe they should just specifically leave the specifics alone

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Four injury marred seasons? Enough for me to know this guy pays no attention.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Exactly, but as i've said before...THIS IS the perception among fans of other teams and the media. The misconception that Sam has missed a ton of games in his pro career, he still has a bad shoulder, and has a fragile football body. It's a label.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
They are counting his college career when they say 4.
I still cant find four injury-marred seasons.

'09 missed eleven games(shoulder)
'11 missed six games(high ankle)
'13 missed nine games(knee)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol
Maybe he means the oline that Bradford has had to play behind has been injury marred for his 4 pro seasons.
I don't think he missed a snap in his rookie year and maybe only a handful of snaps in year 1 of fisher

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Maybe he got an ouchie boo-boo in Pee Wee ball then. Hehehe.

I dunno what they are counting. I thought he hurt his shoulder two times in college.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tom Brady was listed as probable for like 10 years straight. I guess he's injury marred too

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Maybe he got an ouchie boo-boo in Pee Wee ball then. Hehehe.

I dunno what they are counting. I thought he hurt his shoulder two times in college.
IIRC it was the same season, and he was shutdown to undergo surgery.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Lol
Maybe he means the oline that Bradford has had to play behind has been injury marred for his 4 pro seasons.
I don't think he missed a snap in his rookie year and maybe only a handful of snaps in year 1 of fisher
Now THIS isn't a stretch. Lol.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

Plus, I wouldn't count '09 since he wasn't a pro then.

'10 and '12, he played all 16 games.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Exactly. I'm not saying having injuries in two of your four seasons is a good thing but clearly the writer demonstrates his lack of knowledge on the situation so my giveadamn broke on the spot.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

No kidding! It pisses me off.

Yes, I do think Sam needs to prove an ability to stay healthy for a significant period... But let's not toss him into the Danny Amendola category just yet.