Special teams take step forward for Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Special teams take step forward for Rams
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6666d3c0-7a54-57ad-aa32-204eec88b248.html

Will Herring has made a career of playing special teams in the National Football League. After joining the Rams in early October and quickly earning a spot as a core special-teams contributor, he recently wrapped up his eighth pro season.

“It was definitely a blessing to be part of something special here,’’ said Herring, 31, who spent his first four seasons in Seattle and the next three in New Orleans. “The culture here on special teams was phenomenal. It starts with (head coach Jeff Fisher) and goes from there. ‘Bones’ (special teams coordinator John Fassel) is an unbelievable guy to work for. The guys here, they play super-hard for each other and for ‘Bones,’ and I think that definitely showed up on Sundays.’’

After coming on strong last year, the Rams’ special teams took another step forward this season. And they did so with mostly first-, second- and third-year players.

“I’m really proud of the guys and I think a lot of it goes back to last year,’’ Fassel said. “It’s a fun group to work with because they’re young, they’re motivated and they’re hungry. They have a great work ethic and they’re serious about their preparation.’’

Like any unit, the Rams’ special teams had a few breakdowns along the way, including a first-minute blocked punt that turned into a touchdown in a 34-28 loss in Philadelphia on Oct. 5 and a mis-hit by kicker Greg Zuerlein that allowed Kansas City’s Knile Davis to return the second-half kickoff for a touchdown on Oct. 26 as the Chiefs scored 24 unanswered points after halftime in a 34-7 rout.

But the Rams’ special-teamers countered those mistakes with a handful of game-changing plays this season:

• The team’s 28-26 home win over defending Super Bowl champion Seattle on Oct. 13 was dominated by the Rams’ special teams. A 75-yard kickoff return by Benny Cunningham set up the Rams’ go-ahead touchdown in the first quarter. In the second, on a Seattle punt from midfield, return man Tavon Austin and his teammates put on an Academy Award performance to draw the Seahawks to the right while Stedman Bailey made an over-the-shoulder catch on the left and raced 90 yards for a touchdown that put the Rams on top 21-3.

Then, with Seattle coming on and the Rams nursing a 28-26 lead with just under three minutes to play, Fisher made a gutsy call on a fourth-and-3 play from the Rams’ 18 as punter Johnny Hekker hooked up with Cunningham on an 18-yard pass that allowed the Rams to run out the clock.

• Austin put the finishing touch on a 24-0 road victory in Washington on Dec. 7 with a 78-yard punt return for a touchdown late in the third quarter. Earlier, when Washington attempted a fake punt, the Rams’ Chase Reynolds alerted teammates upon hearing something different in the Redskins’ cadence. Trey Watts and Daren Bates teamed up for the stop.

• Bates, a second-year linebacker who hadn’t played special teams before joining the Rams, flashed his athletic ability and timing when he hurdled New York Giants long snapper Zak DeOssie and blocked a late field-goal attempt by former Ram Josh Brown in the Rams’ home finale on Dec. 21.

“I think we’ve evolved as a group,’’ said Reynolds, a second-year pro who led the Rams with 19 special-teams tackles this season. “There’s no better feeling than lining up next to a guy who’s fighting for you and for what we’re trying to accomplish as a unit. And it means a lot, too, knowing that Coach Fisher has confidence in us to try those special plays. We’re forcing opponents to prepare for us and it’s giving us an opportunity to make plays that can impact the game.’’

Following the season-ending loss to the Seahawks in Seattle, Fisher awarded game balls to the entire kickoff unit as a reward for Cunningham finishing first in the NFC and fifth in the NFL after averaging 27.5 yards on 35 returns. Austin finished fifth in NFL and second in the NFC while averaging 11.2 yards on 35 punt returns.

“Benny’s ball security’s excellent and he’s makes great decisions,’’ Fassel said. “He’s a strong north-south runner who’s able to get extra yards by breaking tackles. The big thing for Tavon was opportunities — a lot of teams just wouldn’t punt to him — but I really thought he made some strides late in the season. He made some big plays and hasn’t had a turnover in two seasons as a punt returner. He’s someone who will definitely continue to ascend.’’

Hekker, who earned a trip to the Pro Bowl a year ago, enjoyed another solid season, finishing ninth in punting average (46.5) and fourth in net punting (42.3). In addition, he was among the league leaders with 33 punts inside the 20-yard line. As a passer, he was two for two for 37 yards.

Zuerlein again led the team with 106 points. He converted 34 of 35 extra points and made 24 of 30 field goals.

“I think Greg would be the first to tell you he can kick better,’’ Fassel said. “The thing I really respect about Greg is his ability to bounce back. He has great potential and great ability.’’

Among those who stood out as blockers and tacklers on special teams, Fassel mentioned Reynolds, Bates, Herring, Cody Davis and rookies Watts and Maurice Alexander, the Eureka High product.

“The thing about special teams is that to be successful, everybody has to understand the game plan and be committed to doing his job,’’ the coach said. “The guys in that room worked extremely hard this year and helped us reach a lot of our goals. They take a lot of pride in what we’ve done and I know they’ll work to keep getting better.’’