Special teams have turned it around

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't have the statistical breakdown, there are guys here much better for that, but it's easy to see that the Rams Special Teams have taken a big jump in the last few weeks, especially the return game with Brandon Powell.

Powell's been very, very solid. He had a return Sunday on a monster punt that really didn't get enough attention, imo... 18 yards that helped keep the field pretty short.

Coverage has been very, very solid.

Just feel like we have to acknowledge where there's improvement. This was an area you could really see costing the Rams a playoff game, earlier this season.. .but now it feels like an area of strength.

Tano

Legend
Their punt coverage has been much better lately too

And just keep having Gay kick it out of end zone

Rasp

UDFA
Name
Rasp
Gay and Powell have been massive for us. Without then we would have lost a lot more games

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
A lot of turn over on teams too with the injuries.

I don’t recall where Powell came from but, what a great late season find!!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
go Brandon Powell !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Gay has been outstanding all year. I REALLY like that during our win streak he’s been pounding the touchbacks.

Powell looks like a returner. He’s the most natural we’ve had at it in a while.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gay and Powell have been massive for us. Without then we would have lost a lot more games
I could not agree more and feel Brandon Powell has been the best return man the Rams have had in a while. Amazing what a good return man can do for a special teams unit. I realize the Rams were counting on RB Raymond Calais to be that guy and then he got injured late in preseason. Then they thought @Loyal main man Tutu Atwell could be that guy, but he really didn't have much experience and needed to eat more pancakes.

At that point, I don't understand why the Rams just didn't activate Powell once they signed him. I realize they liked Koski, however, Koski had only returned a couple of punts and it was obvious and just looked odd when Koski tried to return punts. Thus Brandon Powell and I'm so glad he's now the guy also thankful for Johnny Hekker recommending Matt Gay to Sean McVay last season.

Psycho_X

Legend
Yes they've been much better. Powell has helped a ton. It's the trick plays and onside kicks against that worry the shit out of me. We have been literally clueless on almost every single one against us this season. I kinda wish someone had tested us before the playoffs to see if we've fixed the problem since mid season. With the playoffs possibly on the line for Whiners I wouldn't be surprised to see them try it this weekend.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good thing the Rams dont fire coaches after 3 weeks like the posters do...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah opponents returns have been down and Matt Gay is just basically automatic. Johnny Hekker's average is pretty low right now, but on the bright side he doesn't have many punts compared to other teams to bring that average up.

It's still frustrating that other teams' punters can pin the O all the time inside the 10. IDK the intricacies of STs to help that though. Just once I'd like to see a drive start at the 50 or something lol.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Ya Johnny Hekker is outta practice, but I'm glad he is. The more out of practice the better.
I remember at one time for several years he was our only Pro Bowl attendee.
Gay is a huge relief. Getting nervous about losing points when they're on the 20yd line on 4th down really sucked.
But, Powell.... where did we find him again? Glad he's a Ram now. Make the other team's ST guys work.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Their punt coverage has been much better lately too

And just keep having Gay kick it out of end zone
Yeah the lane discipline has been really good across the board on coverage teams. And Powell has removed a glaring issue on top of that.

Gay has been a force of consistency too for us. Though I will admit in the back of my head I have these nagging doubts about him going cold before with Tampa. Rams are obviously gonna sign him but I hope they have that contract laced with incentives.

Tano

Legend
Yeah the lane discipline has been really good across the board on coverage teams. And Powell has removed a glaring issue on top of that.

Gay has been a force of consistency too for us. Though I will admit in the back of my head I have these nagging doubts about him going cold before with Tampa. Rams are obviously gonna sign him but I hope they have that contract laced with incentives.
He was a rookie with Tampa so I am not too concerned