Speaking of Catch and Release

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Or was it Gaff and Release....

One of my twins caught this 27 lb carp just today. We don't eat these either. He was able to release it after he got the pic with the fish having no ill effects.

He caught this in a pretty small lake behind one of his friends house. He was using 8 lb test btw.

IMG958304.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Damn that's a nice land for 8lb test.
Spider wire?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Selassie I said:

One of my twins caught this 27 lb carp just today. We don't eat these either. He was able to release it after he got the pic with the fish having no ill effects.

He caught this in a pretty small lake behind one of his friends house. He was using 8 lb test btw.

I have a friend that keep telling me smoked Carp is good. Idk though. Too many bones and the freaking things aer too big imo.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Username said:
Selassie I said:

I have a friend that keep telling me smoked Carp is good. Idk though. Too many bones and the freaking things aer too big imo.

He could be right about the carp,,, I've never tried it or even thought about eating one. Smoked fish is very good in many cases. Kingfish is a fish that we commonly catch and the only way I'll eat it is smoked,,, and then made into a dip. It's a process, but it's not difficult if you have a smoker. We also smoke sailfish and turn that into the same basic kind of dip. One of my friends and I always say that you could probably eat roadkill if it was smoked and turned into a dip.

Carp are not a fish that we catch very often at all. In fact, almost never. When my son caught this one he was actually trying to catch bluegill (a small pan fish) that they use for bait. Believe it or not the big bass love to eat bluegill,,, big gar do too. That's the reason he was using such light line.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Large mouth will pretty much eat any animal they think they can fit in their mouth. I see them eat baby turtles all the time. Carp are hard to catch because they're just feeders. As basic as it sounds, corn still works the best bait wise, especially if u can get it to float.

The best way in general I've found is to just get a sharp treble on n snag them. When they get too big they poop more than they eat, and basically become useless to a smaller lake. We would catch them all the time. I also have some buddies that bow fish buffalo carp lol. He says its a fucking blast hahaha.

Reaaaaally been craving some salt water this summer though. Last year I went to key west and caught cobia, mackerel, and eventually my brother got a goliath grouper. That cobia was one of the funnest fish I ever caught in my life.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Username said:
Large mouth will pretty much eat any animal they think they can fit in their mouth. I see them eat baby turtles all the time. Carp are hard to catch because they're just feeders. As basic as it sounds, corn still works the best bait wise, especially if u can get it to float.

The best way in general I've found is to just get a sharp treble on n snag them. When they get too big they poop more than they eat, and basically become useless to a smaller lake. We would catch them all the time. I also have some buddies that bow fish buffalo carp lol. He says its a fucking blast hahaha.

Reaaaaally been craving some salt water this summer though. Last year I went to key west and caught ]cobia, mackerel, and eventually my brother got a goliath grouper. That cobia was one of the funnest fish I ever caught in my life.

Those are all fish that we catch on a regular basis.

Cobia are one of my favorites as far as eating. We actually site fish for these... whenever we see rays or turtles on the surface, there is likely to be a cobia or 2 right under it. We cast em big jigs that we usually tip with squid. They are very curious fish and will many times just swim up to the boat to see what's up. Great fighters too,,, especially the 50+ pounders.

Mackerel ... there are a variety of these, but the most often caught are the King mackerel. Those are what I refer to as kingfish. The ones I makes smoked fish dip out of.

Now don't ask me how I know this,,, but goliath grouper are fucking incredible tasting. They get massive,,, I mean 400+ pounds. They used to be only called Jew fish, but now people only call them goliath groupers. They are a protected species that you're not even supposed to pull out of the water to unhook. Truth be told they have made an incredible comeback through the years and I hear that they may soon be taken off the protected list. Can't wait for that,,, in the mean time,,, I use extreme caution with them. Did I mention how great these taste? :sly:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Selassie I said:
Username said:

Reaaaaally been craving some salt water this summer though. Last year I went to key west and caught ]cobia, mackerel, and eventually my brother got a goliath grouper. That cobia was one of the funnest fish I ever caught in my life.

Those are all fish that we catch on a regular basis.

Cobia are one of my favorites as far as eating. We actually site fish for these... whenever we see rays or turtles on the surface, there is likely to be a cobia or 2 right under it. We cast em big jigs that we usually tip with squid. They are very curious fish and will many times just swim up to the boat to see what's up. Great fighters too,,, especially the 50+ pounders.

Mackerel ... there are a variety of these, but the most often caught are the King mackerel. Those are what I refer to as kingfish. The ones I makes smoked fish dip out of.

Now don't ask me how I know this,,, but goliath grouper are fucking incredible tasting. They get massive,,, I mean 400+ pounds. They used to be only called Jew fish, but now people only call them goliath groupers. They are a protected species that you're not even supposed to pull out of the water to unhook. Truth be told they have made an incredible comeback through the years and I hear that they may soon be taken off the protected list. Can't wait for that,,, in the mean time,,, I use extreme caution with them. Did I mention how great these taste? :sly:

Yeah, King Mackerel is what we caught. I've been fishing for Mackerel but it's been a while. I ended up giving that to my grandpa and he smoked it. You can bet your ass I ate that Cobia though. It was fucking amazing.

Our guide did keep calling the Grouper a Jew fish, and yes it was by far and away the biggest fucking fish I've ever see someone land in person. I had one originally but got to the pole too late, and I guess the guide said he swam back in a hole, and would be impossible to get up. I'll be dammed if I didn't try though hahaha. It felt like I was attempting to pull a Volkswagen out of the ocean. I had partied my ass off the night before too, and had a slight case of the beer shits. I was pretty sure at one point I was going to shit my pants attempting to pull that fucking thing up hahahaha.

He told us all about the Cobia too. Once I landed that one, he made everybody cast right next to me. Said they usually travel in pairs or more. I thought it was a fucking shark at first cause they fin out like that. He said "No that's a Cobia get that thing in the boat!" It was a good 20-25 minute fight at the least.

I had a blast. Got some buddies coming in from South Carolina soon. I'm gonna try to set something up to where I can get over there to do some bone fishing or something. I'm fiending.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Username said:

Man that's great... I take pics of food I'm making all the time. In fact, I've got several fish/food pics on the wall in my office. Always good memories involved when you're cooking up a nice catch. Combine the fish story and the meal... BOOM

I've got a big wooden sign I had made to look like motel sign... motel's name - Fish Tales Inn. In small writing along the bottom it says - "Fish stories swapped here. The later the story,,, the bigger the fish." I can tell some Fish Stories.

Those Jew fish ,,, when I was 14 or 15, I speared a 300+ pounder while diving inside a sunken barge near Marathon Key. I shot it right in the head believing I stoned this monster because it didn't move for what seemed like 20 seconds or more. Now I know that the fucker was just so big that it's nervous system took an extra long time to process the fact that a spear was sticking into it's head.... I just knew I had killed this beast,,, when it proceeded to shoot off like a rocket dragging me like an underwater skier for a good distance until I just let go of my speargun.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Selassie I said:
Username said:

Man that's great... I take pics of food I'm making all the time. In fact, I've got several fish/food pics on the wall in my office. Always good memories involved when you're cooking up a nice catch. Combine the fish story and the meal... BOOM

I've got a big wooden sign I had made to look like motel sign... motel's name - Fish Tales Inn. In small writing along the bottom it says - "Fish stories swapped here. The later the story,,, the bigger the fish." I can tell some Fish Stories.

Those Jew fish ,,, when I was 14 or 15, I speared a 300+ pounder while diving inside a sunken barge near Marathon Key. I shot it right in the head believing I stoned this monster because it didn't move for what seemed like 20 seconds or more. Now I know that the fucker was just so big that it's nervous system took an extra long time to process the fact that a spear was sticking into it's head.... I just knew I had killed this beast,,, when it proceeded to shoot off like a rocket dragging me like an underwater skier for a good distance until I just let go of my speargun.

Hahahahahaha that's awesome. I love the sign idea too. "The later the story, the bigger the fish" LOOOL