Sparq Scores CBs and Safeties

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Ranking the Top Combine Performers: DBs

You can find Zach at 3sigmaathlete.com and @zjwhitman

With the NFL Combine and a few weeks of pro days completed, the overall draft class has begun to take shape. We can now get an idea of each player’s overall place in the NFL athleticism spectrum with the help of SPARQ.

SPARQ is a formula developed by Nike which measures player athleticism through the output of a single composite score. I gave a simple breakdown of the stat in my last Rotoworld article. If you have any further questions about SPARQ, you can refer to the FAQ at my blog.

As SPARQ is not a publicly-available formula, I’ve back-calculated my own version, called pSPARQ. Note that the “NFL perc.” I refer to in the following tables represents each player’s athletic standing relative to the pool of NFL players at their position. If a player is in the 50th percentile, they rate as a perfectly average NFL athlete. As the average draft prospect is less athletic than the average NFL player, this percentile may look considerably different than that of a metric which gauges athleticism relative to their draft peers.

There are a few pro day results included here. I will post full SPARQ rankings for non-Combine performers on my blog when the test results are published. Combine SPARQ rankings for WR, RB, TE, OL, and DL are available are published on this page.

Disclaimer: pSPARQ is not perfect and will not yield a perfect representation of any player’s athletic profile. It is meant to give us an idea of where a given player stands athletically relative to the NFL level.

The CB and S scores are actually based on the same formula but were separated by position for visual reasons. If you are wondering where a corner would fit on the safety list, just place him where his score indicates.

Cornerbacks

Please note that Byron Jones’ 40 time is conservatively assumed to be a 4.4. Reports are that he may have run as fast as a 4.36 at the Connecticut pro day. He’s one of 5 players in the NFL to reach the 3 sigma plateau, as I explain here.

Safeties

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
wr20151.png

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Figured I might as well post them all didn't see them anywhere on here.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Thanks.

Marpet jumps off the page at first blush. Especially considering his 3rdish round grade.

Cooper seems low since he's widely considered most "nfl ready"

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Thanks.

Marpet jumps off the page at first blush. Especially considering his 3rdish round grade.

Cooper seems low since he's widely considered most "nfl ready"

Yeah those jumped out to me too. another one that stuck out is RB David Johnson. Ive seen a lot on here mocking him to the rams in the 3rd or 4th round and hes the #2 RB on here with great hands.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
And GOOD GOD Byron Jones at 150.1 in the 99 percentile compared to CBs already in the NFL.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Thanks for posting all these SPARQ scores, it helps a lot with my Board adjustments!!(y)(y):D

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I would love to see the Rams draft Ron Darby in the 2nd!! love that guy and glad to see he has strong numbers
this Sparq thing is really interesting

I'd like to find Russell Bodine's Sparq numbers and compare them with other centers and offensive linemen to see how they compare - i think Bodine is turning out to be one helluva player

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Erik Flowers got a terrible score thought he was more athletic than that?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That is the first time I saw Marpet listed as a Center. I know people keep saying round 3/4 but I would take him in round 2. He stood out at the Sr. Bowl and now his SPARQ scores reinforce what we saw.

If the Rams can teach Flowers then they can teach Marpet.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Wow. Marpet's a better athlete than I had him pegged as judging by these scores. @Elmgrovegnome I thought he was basically listed as a center everywhere? The top choices at C are usually given as Marpet, Erving, Gallik and Dismukes.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I thought he was considered a guard mostly.

Everything I've read and seen has him playing guard too but maybe the kid is athletic and versatile enough to play every position on the line. I wouldn't want to stick him out at left tackle but with his brains and athleticism I think he could play any position from left guard over.