Spanish report: NFL ready to put five regular season games in Mexico

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...y-to-put-five-regular-season-games-in-mexico/

Spanish report: NFL ready to put five regular season games in Mexico
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 7, 2015

mexico-nfl-jpg.jpg
Getty Images

The NFL has talked about the possibility of taking games to Mexico again, and it appears organizers there think they’re close to landing a handful of them.

According to a report from the Spanish news organization AS.com, an NFL official said Mexico will host five regular season games, one per season, from 2017 or 2018.

The report lacks a lot of specifics, and focuses on the fact Mexican officials have secured enough sponsorship money to satisfy the league’s demands.

“We’re taking steps in the right direction so that eventually, this platform [of sponsors] which we have reconstructed will enable us to talk directly to the NFL in New York about the possibility of staging games in Mexico” NFL Mexico director Arturo Olivé said.

Olivé offered no specifics about which stadiums the games would be played in, but said the league has already approved the series of games, adding: “It will be for five games, not three as originally proposed.”

That’s an ambitious plan, fitting with the league’s efforts at expanding into Germany and Brazil as well.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
In other news, every cartel in Mexico is throwing a party after hearing this.

Moostache

Rookie
Ladies and Gentlemen....I give you the Tijuana Chargers and the Monterrey Raiders...who needs temporary stadia in LA?

Just send the Raiders and Chargers south of the border until the league works out a deal with Kroenke for his Inglewood land and waives the cross-ownership rules in exchange; then they can have 16 games a year in Mexico. The only problem might be too much support for the Chargers in Tijuana (that and it would give Spanos an out to stay nearer to San Diego that way...).

All kidding aside, I am really surprised that Mexico and Canada are not more frequently discussed international expansion locations. In addition to Tijuana (*tin foil hat moment....maybe THAT's why the NFL appears willing to walk away from San Diego or at least allow Spanos to do so...they WANT Tijuana and all those sweet, sweet pesos...muhahahahahaha!!!...*obligatory mustache twirl), there is Mexico City, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Edmonton....Vancouver is likely out because of the Seahags, but man what a rivalry THAT could be...

I keep hearing all the chatter about London and think to myself that in addition to the travel nightmares and competitive disadvantage for such a team, there are several Western Hemisphere cities that would be better fits...Rio? Havana? (now that US-Cuba relations have been re-established....think about a Miami-Havana or Miami-New Orleans or Miami-Houston rivalry...

Anywho...coffee's done and vacation time is begun, vaya con dios amigos.

Alan

Legend
How can they justify screwing the fans of the home team who wanted to go to those games? The NFL want s more fans to actually go to the games instead of watching at home on TV and they do this kind of shit?

Greed and hypocrisy.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I have actually always thought a move south made more sense than a move to Europe. The time zones are the same so no issue with broadcast times or "jet lag". I also assume that Mexico especially (being on our border) had an understanding of and maybe a fan base for FB.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Not until that government gets their shit together and takes control of the violence.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Nfl fans in Mexico are probably most by the borders,once you get deep into Mexico it's just not that popular.Soccer is to Mexico what the Nfl is to us there just not that interested in it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Nfl fans in Mexico are probably most by the borders,once you get deep into Mexico it's just not that popular.Soccer is to Mexico what the Nfl is to us there just not that interested in it.

Soccer never did it for me. Reminds me of marriage. A whole lot of work and very little scoring. :confused:

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Total BS, season ticket holders only get to attend 8 games a year. Then they take one away. The NFL could care less about the fans.