Sources say Finnegan is a Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Am I the only one who thinks we waaayyyyy over paid? Nnamdi only got 12 million per year last year. Is Finnegan 75% better than Bartell (Bartell was to make 6 mil vs Finnegan's 10 mil). I would have kept Bartell and took my chances with his injury. I know that we're close to signing Jones, but we still need another DT, a WR, at least a guard maybe a tackle and an OLB. Seems we could have used that extra 4 million to fill one or two of those holes.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
brokeu91 said:
Am I the only one who thinks we waaayyyyy over paid? Nnamdi only got 12 million per year last year. Is Finnegan 75% better than Bartell (Bartell was to make 6 mil vs Finnegan's 10 mil). I would have kept Bartell and took my chances with his injury. I know that we're close to signing Jones, but we still need another DT, a WR, at least a guard maybe a tackle and an OLB. Seems we could have used that extra 4 million to fill one or two of those holes.

Well the market for CBs will continue to rise because of QBs passing for 4,000 yards nowadays. Brandon Carr hasnt signed yet (Dallas looks like the frontrunner) and I fully expect him to get a big contract. Maybe the neck injury is a really big concern for Bartell moving forward. Plus, Finnegan is 28 and Bartell is 30.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Asomughas contract:

Signed a five-year, $60 million contract. The deal contains $25 million guaranteed. 2012: $11 million, 2013: $15 million, 2014-2015: $12 million, 2016: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/779/nnamdi-asomugha

Havent gotten that breakdown on Finnegans yet but here is some details:

Signed a five-year, $50 million contract. The deal contains $26.5 million guaranteed and $33 million in the first three years.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/403 ... d-finnegan

Asomugha was 29 when he got his deal.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
This is why I have no problem with the contract:

He is 28. Still very much in his prime.

He has missed 3 games in 6 seasons.

He gets to be with the HC that he spent 5 years with in Tennessee. He brings good value to this D because of that.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
JdashSTL said:
brokeu91 said:

Well the market for CBs will continue to rise because of QBs passing for 4,000 yards nowadays. Brandon Carr hasnt signed yet (Dallas looks like the frontrunner) and I fully expect him to get a big contract. Maybe the neck injury is a really big concern for Bartell moving forward. Plus, Finnegan is 28 and Bartell is 30.
I'm not purposely trying to stir the pot/troll. I just don't agree with this signing at the money that was spent. Maybe I'm too much of a Bartell cheerleader, but I personally believe he was the most underrated CB in the NFL. I also believe that if the Rams had him, Fletcher, Murphy, and Gordy coming back then CB was really a position that we were very solid in and we could spend our money filling one of the holes on the O-line, DT, WR or OLB. I could understand drafting a DB for development, but I think we could have used our resources in other areas.

I like Finnegan, I think he's an excellent player. But for as much as they paid we could have got a DT and an OLB which were bigger holes. Finnegan is also a smaller CB and we have Fitzgerald to cover twice a year. Perhaps they're signing Finnegan for his leadership/familiarity with Fisher's system as well as his actual in-game ability. But I'm sure we could have found other players that Fisher coached who were less expensive.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
brokeu91 said:
JdashSTL said:
brokeu91 said:

I'm not purposely trying to stir the pot/troll. I just don't agree with this signing at the money that was spent. Maybe I'm too much of a Bartell cheerleader, but I personally believe he was the most underrated CB in the NFL. I also believe that if the Rams had him, Fletcher, Murphy, and Gordy coming back then CB was really a position that we were very solid in and we could spend our money filling one of the holes on the O-line, DT, WR or OLB. I could understand drafting a DB for development, but I think we could have used our resources in other areas.

I like Finnegan, I think he's an excellent player. But for as much as they paid we could have got a DT and an OLB which were bigger holes. Finnegan is also a smaller CB and we have Fitzgerald to cover twice a year. Perhaps they're signing Finnegan for his leadership/familiarity with Fisher's system as well as his actual in-game ability. But I'm sure we could have found other players that Fisher coached who were less expensive.

Understandable.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Greg Cosell on Finnegan:

@gregcosell: Finnegan good signing. Knows STL D. Tough, physical. Can play press man or off coverage. Also played in slot. Good blitzer. Scheme versatile.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
brokeu91 said:

FInnegan is a borderline All-Pro. He doesnt get the credit for being the player he is because most around the league dont like his on-field "attitude". I wouldnt like him if I were playing against him but love him now that he is playing with us.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As long as he stays healthy and teams don't burn us with wide open TD's with the nearest Ram 30 yards away, bring him on. That is some serious dough :shock:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Looking at Eric Wright's deal with the Bucs, 5 years - 36.5 mill(7.5 per) - 15.5 guaranteed, Id say we got a pretty decent deal with Cortland.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Tony Softli - 101 ESPN NFL Insider/On-Air Talent
The Rams have officially become the youngest team in the league as of Monday, releasing five veteran starters that were up in age.

Rams average is 25.3 and that includes Cortland Finnegan.

There we go.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yamahopper said:
The Rams have officially become the youngest team in the league as of Monday, releasing five veteran starters that were up in age.

There we go.

:shock:

Wow. We're probably going to get even younger with the draft.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Yamahopper said:

There we go.

Dont forget about Al Harris retiring. He was 37.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
JdashSTL said:
Yamahopper said:

There we go.

Dont forget about Al Harris retiring. He was 37.

Yes, and Softi didn't mention Butler, The bad Dahl and the rest of the Rams FA's that are no longer counted on the roster.
Still keeping some of these guys and cutting draft choices last couple years is depressing. But hey they were trying to win games so can't blame them for that.
Also the bad drafts of the past has been part of the problem.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Dallas just signed Brandon Carr to a 5 year, $50.1 mil deal.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:
Dallas just signed Brandon Carr to a 5 year, $50.1 mil deal.

Just had to sneak in that extra $100,000 to become to be the CB with the biggest payday lol.