Source: Eagles could release Evan Mathis if they can't trade him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Source: Eagles could release Evan Mathis if they can't trade him
By Geoff Mosher

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-p...ld-release-evan-mathis-if-they-cant-trade-him

PHOENIX – If the Eagles can’t find a trade partner for left guard Evan Mathis, they could be just as willing to show him the door as they were two years ago for DeSean Jackson.

Mathis, who was on the trade block last offseason and is back there again, might be cast off into the free-agent waters if the Eagles can’t deal him, according to a source close to the situation.

Right now, the source said, the team is “actively looking” to deal the 33-year-old lineman. Head coaches and executives from all 32 NFL teams are at the luxurious Arizona Biltmore resort this week for the annual owners meetings. It’s an informal environment outside of the meetings but business can be consummated.

If traded or released, Mathis would follow in the footsteps of LeSean McCoy, Nick Foles, Jeremy Maclin, Cary Williams, Todd Herremans and Trent Cole as high-profile cap casualties sent packing this offseason as head coach Chip Kelly overhauls the roster in his first season with total personnel control.

If he’s released, Mathis hopes the Eagles pull the trigger soon, the source said, while other teams still have money left to spend on this year’s free agent crop.

The source said the decision to shop Mathis is completely Kelly’s and added that the Eagles are either looking to save money or continue to rebuild the roster around a younger nucleus -- or both.

They could also be irked by Mathis’ repeated attempts to have his contract reworked. Mathis carries cap hits of $6.5 million in 2015 and $7 million in 2016 as part of the five-year, $26.7 million extension he signed March 19, 2013, after choosing to rejoin the Eagles instead of bolting for the Ravens’ offer.

Only $2 million of Mathis’ remaining contract is guaranteed from his signing bonus -- $1 million apiece this season and next -- so the Eagles would save $11.5 million over the next two seasons if they cut him and absorb only a $2 million dead-money hit.

Mathis’ camp has approached the Eagles twice in the past two offseasons to discuss a restructure that would pad Mathis’ salary. Both times, the source said, the Eagles rebuffed his request and responded by informing him that he would be shopped.

Teams are typically reluctant to give up draft compensation for a player they believe will be released but trades for veterans occasionally take place during the offseason.

The Saints, who are also reshaping their roster and trying to improve their defense, recently dealt 33-year old guard Ben Grubbs, a two-time Pro Bowler, to the Chiefs for a fifth-round pick. Kansas City took on $13.9 million in base salary over the next two years, none of it guaranteed. Mathis is two years older and any team that trades for him owes him $13.5 million over the next two years, also not guaranteeed.

The source also didn’t slam the door on Mathis returning to the Eagles, but Kelly hasn’t shown much reluctance to get rid of veterans, even if it means eating dead money.

The Eagles have taken about $12 million in cap hits this season on Cole, Herremans, Williams, McCoy and Foles, although they’ve saved more than $60 million in future money.

Mathis made his second straight Pro Bowl last season despite playing just nine games. He severely sprained his knee in the season opener and was placed on the injured reserve list with return designation.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure any team that traded for him would only be on the hook for $4.5 million the first year and $6 million the second year, with none of it guaranteed. Any money already given to him would be on the Eagles salary cap not the future team. Just like Bradford carrying a Cap of $16 million while he was with us and only counting towards $13 million of the Eagles cap currently. Since that extra $3 million was dead money, it stayed on our books.

4.5 million with no guarantees is a fine contract IMO. If he doesn't work out you can cut him before that $6million ever happens.

Jorgeh0605

Why is it 5.5 million? Overthecap has him listed at 6.5 million with 2 million dollars in dead money? That amounts to 4.5 million.

Jorgeh0605

Ok I see. Next years dead money accelerates to this year giving them 2 million in dead money. You are correct, we pay his salary which is 5.5M this year. Thanks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh, depends on what Blalock and Barksdale are asking on whether I'd toss the Eagles a 7th for Mathis.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Despite his success and to a lesser extent Blalocks, age has to factor in to the equation doesn't it? While it isn't a guarantee with age usually comes injury, loss of quickness, etc. It could be very frustrating for the player but I would think teams would be trying to use that argument to get the price down.

I'd prefer one of the two old farts at least.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
When you grab offensive lineman this old, they usually become injury prone. I not sure we could trust him or Blalock to be there for us all season.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Despite his success and to a lesser extent Blalocks, age has to factor in to the equation doesn't it? While it isn't a guarantee with age usually comes injury, loss of quickness, etc. It could be very frustrating for the player but I would think teams would be trying to use that argument to get the price down.

I'd prefer one of the two old farts at least.

I'm happy with signing one of the old farts as long as we draft his replacement at the same time and the old fart's contract terms reflect that situation.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm happy with signing one of the old farts as long as we draft his replacement at the same time and the old fart's contract terms reflect that situation.

I agree but as someone pointed out Blalock was making 8 million supposedly and Mathis is close to that. My guess is that everyone is trying to low ball them due to age and they both feel that they are still playing at a high level so they want the same money. Mathis was just in two pro bowls. Blalock has always been durable I would feel the same if I was them. I don't understand why a team with cap space is not giving them a call. Having a good vet on the line is great for teaching the rest of the guys.

I would like one of them on the Rams even if it means that they don't draft a replacement this season. But I don't think the Rams cap situation will allow it. But we will see. I didn't think they had money for Finnegan, Cook, or Long either.

The entire process may be hinging on Joe. The Rams may want to see if they can resign Barksdale first as their priority and then decide on Wisneiwski and the two guards. I am sure Wis, Blalock, and Mathis agents would prefer to take their time now, knowing that teams are not fighting over their services.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
When you grab offensive lineman this old, they usually become injury prone. I not sure we could trust him or Blalock to be there for us all season.

I wonder about Mathis' real value too. I know he was a pro bowl guard but in an uptempo offense he really shouldn't have had to pass block for very long. Maybe teams question his sudden rise because of that?

Stel

Starter
I agree but as someone pointed out Blalock was making 8 million supposedly and Mathis is close to that. My guess is that everyone is trying to low ball them due to age and they both feel that they are still playing at a high level so they want the same money. Mathis was just in two pro bowls. Blalock has always been durable I would feel the same if I was them. I don't understand why a team with cap space is not giving them a call. Having a good vet on the line is great for teaching the rest of the guys.

I would like one of them on the Rams even if it means that they don't draft a replacement this season. But I don't think the Rams cap situation will allow it. But we will see. I didn't think they had money for Finnegan, Cook, or Long either.

The entire process may be hinging on Joe. The Rams may want to see if they can resign Barksdale first as their priority and then decide on Wisneiwski and the two guards. I am sure Wis, Blalock, and Mathis agents would prefer to take their time now, knowing that teams are not fighting over their services.

I think the contract will stop most teams. At his age, his production may drop dramatically at any time and you would be stuck with both the contract and the absence of a draft pick. Paying him the same amount in FA would be better. I understand his position, too. This is likely his last chance at big money. I, too, would like one of the solid veteran OGs for the next year or two, but only if the price is right.

lockdnram21

Legend

No way I sign either Blaloc or Mathis at their age without a young high pick replacement. Especially with our lick

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Usually, I'm not for trading for guys that are on the wrong side of 30 but Mathis still had something in the tank last year. He's also a bit of a prankster that caused Mike Florio to write the following bum hurt article.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/13/evan-mathis-strikes-again/
Posted by Mike Florio on June 13, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
receipt.jpg

Evan Mathis is at it again.

In April, the Eagles guard messed with Paul Domowitch of the Philadelphia Daily News, leading Domowitch to believe Mathis would boycott offseason workouts. Last night, Mathis messed with everyone, tweeting a photo of aphony $64,055.76 receipt from Del Frisco’s steakhouse with the caption, “Teaching rookies a lesson.”

Our Mike Wilkening spotted the ruse instantly, and Eagles center Jason Kelce has since told WIP radio in Philly that it was a fake.

“This was a complete hoax that was designed by Evan Mathis to mislead the media across the nation,” Kelce said. “Apparently, it did its job. He spent all day making sure the prices were right, making sure everything looked good.”

Good one, Evan. Now grow up.

Whether it’s lying to one reporter or lying to all of them, the lesson is that no one should listen to anything Mathis ever has to say, if he’s going to continue to engage in the pro athlete equivalent of having pizzas delivered to his next-door neighbor.

That’s hilarious. When you’re 12.Regardless of what any players or fans think of the media, the media has a job to do, just like everyone else. What Mathis has been doing is no different than a member of the media standing on the sidelines and shining a laser pointer in his eyes as he’s trying to prepare for the snap.That’s also hilarious. When you’re 12.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Lots of teams including the Rams play wait and see in the pre-draft period waiting on the chance a better player becomes available right after the draft. As teams fill draft holes sometimes vets get cut and it's bargain hunting time.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Lots of teams including the Rams play wait and see in the pre-draft period waiting on the chance a better player becomes available right after the draft. As teams fill draft holes sometimes vets get cut and it's bargain hunting time.
Agree completely with the tactic, But I'd like to see Kelly cut him, and the the Rams go after him and reunite him with Foles!

lockdnram21

Legend
Agree completely with the tactic, But I'd like to see Kelly cut him, and the the Rams go after him and reunite him with Foles!
Sounds good but I bet if that happens he's going to a team he considers a legit contender. Also I have a feeling he would start getting hurt once he gets here