Sounds like it's Goff..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not sure what snarky is...
It's not hard to go against the grain...I think of all the Goff is almost guaranteed to go to the Rams reports, 90% of the reporters are looking for the big "scoop" and not actually on how these 2 QB's play, and how the teams selecting them play. I keep wondering how did Goff start getting such buzz after Wentz was the QB that Cleveland initially wanted. Then, Rams trade up, and Cleveland wanted Goff... I still don't know what to believe, but my eyes tell me, that Goff is a spread QB...Wentz has ran more plays, and called plays like the Rams run. We specifically drafted a QB last year, emphasizing his familiarity with the Pro -style system.
I still think this Goff hype is a ruse...And it's intent is to maximize shock value on Thursday night...kinda upstage the NBA playoffs...
Yep, I'm into conspiracy theories now.... LOL

I prefer Goff but also agree he would be perfect in a WCO. And Wentz big arm looks more attuned to the Rams, Run and short throws then surprise with a bomb to Britt. I am not convinced that the Rams are leaking real info. I don't think Pederson would move up for Wentz.

But I think Goffs accuracy, especially on that rainy day had a lasting impression on Fisher.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Goff is a more finished product than Wentz. Sure Wentz may reach his ceiling. Mayock says he has Brady/Manning potential. But, it is just potential. He could be great, but he could also be Cutler, Stafford level average too. Right now, with his accuracy, touch, and pocket movement Goff looks like the surer thing, because he is closer to it than Wentz. So do the Rams go for potential with a high ceiling, or shoot for the moon?

A few things that I think may affect Wentz is the speed of the next level and locking on to one target. He is not great at consistently making all of his reads and when he finds a target he looks at him too long, because he has a slower throwing motion. Wentz has a lot of work to do to catch up to where Goff is. And if his instincts are to run like a fullback, he is going to be injured often. I prefer the guy with the great pocket presence that had pass rushers in his face all game and still made reads, accurate throws and threw receivers open, even if he is being called a Matt Ryan clone. I'll take Matt Ryan, over a chance of that Wentz becomes Andrew Luck.

I'm with you 100% on this reasoning. The Rams organisation also doesn't have a great track record of getting the best out of or developing QB talent in recent years. I also worry, as you mentioned, that his gut instinct when no throw is open is to run, which will increase the possibility of injuries, which is something we don't need! I've said in older posts for years that I'd love someone with Matt Ryan stability playing for the Rams :)

I think the Fisher / Snead duo have been given a make or break ultimatum and have to at least reach the playoffs this coming season - we, as fans, deserve that.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Anyone else hearing this 90-95 percent talk? These motherphuckers are playing with my emotions! They are going Wentz, aren't they?!?

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Anyone else hearing this 90-95 percent talk? These motherphuckers are playing with my emotions! They are going Wentz, aren't they?!?
Yes! I'm telling you guys they have been feeding the media all the Goff stuff to create drama.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Goff is a more finished product than Wentz. Sure Wentz may reach his ceiling. Mayock says he has Brady/Manning potential. But, it is just potential. He could be great, but he could also be Cutler, Stafford level average too. Right now, with his accuracy, touch, and pocket movement Goff looks like the surer thing, because he is closer to it than Wentz. So do the Rams go for potential with a high ceiling, or shoot for the moon?

A few things that I think may affect Wentz is the speed of the next level and locking on to one target. He is not great at consistently making all of his reads and when he finds a target he looks at him too long, because he has a slower throwing motion. Wentz has a lot of work to do to catch up to where Goff is. And if his instincts are to run like a fullback, he is going to be injured often. I prefer the guy with the great pocket presence that had pass rushers in his face all game and still made reads, accurate throws and threw receivers open, even if he is being called a Matt Ryan clone. I'll take Matt Ryan, over a chance of that Wentz becomes Andrew Luck.
So you are telling me you would rather get a qb with the floor of an average qb and the ceiling of an average qb than a guy with the floor of an average qb and the ceiling of a great qb?! In my mind Goff and a Wentz have the same floor but Wentz's ceiling is much higher.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you are telling me you would rather get a qb with the floor of an average qb and the ceiling of an average qb than a guy with the floor of an average qb and the ceiling of a great qb?! In my mind Goff and a Wentz have the same floor but Wentz's ceiling is much higher.
Goff's ceiling is much higher than just an average QB. We get to this every year the final week or two before the draft. Every little thing we can do to nitpick a prospect regardless of position we try to tear them down. I can't count how many times I've seen people say Goff can make all the throws with good velocity and not have a problem with his throws. Yet he doesn't throw a spiral enough for me. Let me get this straight you(hypethetical you to a critic not you) want to complain because he can make every throw it's just not pretty enough for you? Guess what there are many Super Bowl winning QB's who that same exact thing can be said about. It's silly how we get this close to the draft. And I'm admittedly on the fence with this pick. I don't know and don't care which of the two we take because I think both will be very good NFL QB's.

FloridaBison

Dreamin of the back 9
Name
floridabison
This debate has been both educational, and a ton of fun. I believe I have had a unique perspective because I am from North Dakota, and I have watched Wentz on the field a ton.

LEVEL OF COMPETITION.
I respect the opinion many have about the level of competition. To lend perspective, when you take the conference in which NDSU plays (MVFC) and plug it into the Sagarin formula, you will find that most every team falls right in the Mid Major range.

Point in fact. There have been conversations to morph the MVFC (Missouri Valley Football Conference) into the Mountain West and then split it. There have been discussions about moving NDSU and Northern Iowa (Kurt Warner) into the one of two major conferences. At this level the difference is less than the perception (IMO). Winning 5 straight games against BCS teams has to be a tell does it not??

HE INHERITED A WINNING TEAM---yes he did.

I have yet to say one bad thing about Goff, and won't. I will say this.

Your team (NDSU) has won 18 Natl. Championships in a town/state that expects a Win every week. Your team has just won three back to back National Championships, and you are handed the keys. DONT SCREW IT UP!! --No pressure at all!!---Seriously. Its 3rd and 5, and Carson is getting yelled at because he didn't run the ball. He made us believers.
Then, every team in the league is gunning for you. NDSU got every teams very best effort every week. He engineered three late 4th quarter drives to win critical games with his arm, and one was the National Championship.

God forbid you miss class or get a B.

---It is darn hard to maintain that level of commitment and focus. Darn hard.

Like every Rookie QB he has his need areas. The NFL has shown that this position makes many great QB's look average. Goff and Wentz have that same risk.

I hold both these QB's in high regard, and I am not looking to win anyone over.

FINAL THOUGHT.

If the Rams select Wentz I hope you give him your support. In all likelihood his experience may not match up with the perceptions. You very well might find yourself holding him quite high regard.

Last edited:

61Woody

UDFA
Name
Jeff
It's Goff. The tea leaves have been there for us to read the whole time. Enjoy it, fellow Rams fans, we are about to get ourselves a future star at QB.
Most of us thought that about Bradford also. Hope you are right.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I don't know which way they are going. It's still a 50/50 guess as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, does anyone really believe it would be beyond Fisher and Snead to lead everybody to think they are going one way and then to turn around and go the other? Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they did that.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Goff's ceiling is much higher than just an average QB. We get to this every year the final week or two before the draft. Every little thing we can do to nitpick a prospect regardless of position we try to tear them down. I can't count how many times I've seen people say Goff can make all the throws with good velocity and not have a problem with his throws. Yet he doesn't throw a spiral enough for me. Let me get this straight you(hypethetical you to a critic not you) want to complain because he can make every throw it's just not pretty enough for you? Guess what there are many Super Bowl winning QB's who that same exact thing can be said about. It's silly how we get this close to the draft. And I'm admittedly on the fence with this pick. I don't know and don't care which of the two we take because I think both will be very good NFL QB's.
I don't care if he throws a spiral or not but I don't think his arm is really strong enough. He really has to throw an arc and the ball floats too much for my liking on his deep balls. I think his accuracy and pocket presence has been greatly exaggerated around here. I just don't see special with him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This debate has been both educational, and a ton of fun. I believe I have had a unique perspective because I am from North Dakota, and I have watched Wentz on the field a ton.

LEVEL OF COMPETITION.
I respect the opinion many have about the level of competition. To lend perspective, when you take the conference in which NDSU plays (MVFC) and plug it into the Sagarin formula, you will find that most every team falls right in the Mid Major range.

Point in fact. There have been conversations to morph the MVFC (Missouri Valley Football Conference) into the Mountain West and then split it. There have been discussions about moving NDSU and Northern Iowa (Kurt Warner) into the one of two major conferences. At this level the difference is less than the perception (IMO). Winning 5 straight games against BCS teams has to be a tell does it not??

HE INHERITED A WINNING TEAM---yes he did.

I have yet to say one bad thing about Goff, and won't. I will say this.

Your team (NDSU) has won 18 Natl. Championships in a town/state that expects a Win every week. Your team has just won three back to back National Championships, and you are handed the keys. DONT SCREW IT UP!! --No pressure at all!!---Seriously. Its 3rd and 5, and Carson is getting yelled at because he didn't run the ball. He made us believers.
Then, every team in the league is gunning for you. NDSU got every teams very best effort every week.

God forbid you miss class or get a B.

---It is darn hard to maintain that level of commitment and focus. Darn hard.

Like every Rookie QB he has his need areas. The NFL has shown that this position makes many great QB's look average. Goff and Wentz have that same risk.

I hold both these QB's in high regard, and I am not looking to win anyone over.

FINAL THOUGHT.

If the Rams select Wentz I hope you give him your support. In all likelihood his experience may not match up with the perceptions. You very well might find yourself holding him quite high regard.

No worries there.most fans will support whomever they chose..at least until that player proves to not be what we all hoped. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. I will be fine with either but give Goff a slight edge.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Who said that? Wentz ceiling may be slightly higher than Goffs but his floor is much lower. I'd take Matty ice on the Rams in a heartbeat. If that is who Goff really compares to best then I am happy. He'd be a top ten QB every year and a top five most of them.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Who said that? Wentz ceiling may be slightly higher than Goffs but his floor is much lower. I'd take Matty ice on the Rams in a heartbeat. If that is who Goff really compares to best then I am happy. He'd be a top ten QB every year and a top five most of them.
And what exactly has Matt Ryan won? He pretty much has been nothing more than average. I'm sorry but I want more.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Just for the record, no reflection on Goff or the debate between him and Wentz, and off topic but ... I hate the name Matty Ice. I've seen him get so flustered when things aren't going well for the Falcons, he doesn't look like someone with ice in his veins.

Ok, back to the Goff vs. Wentz debate.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And what exactly has Matt Ryan won? He pretty much has been nothing more than average. I'm sorry but I want more.

How good has his defense been? Has he had a good OLine? Why was his coach fired? Keep it in context.

I want the best too but if I was told the chances. If Snead traded up from 15 to 1 to draft a certain QB I am sure that he thinks that player will be a top QB for years to come. You are so hung up on the Goff hate. I prefer Goff but will be fine with Wentz. I just hope Fisher can develop Wentz where I don't think he needs to with Goff.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just for the record, no reflection on Goff or the debate between him and Wentz, and off topic but ... I hate the name Matty Ice. I've seen him get so flustered when things aren't going well for the Falcons, he doesn't look like someone with ice in his veins.

Ok, back to the Goff vs. Wentz debate.

I don't like it either actually. I just used it for emphasis. Ryan has looked more flustered the last few years, but most QBs getting hammered by NFL DLinemen do eventually. They need to continue working on their OLine.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Goff just feels like settling for the sake of being safe. I just want the better QB in Wentz.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't like it either actually. I just used it for emphasis. Ryan has looked more flustered the last few years, but most QBs getting hammered by NFL DLinemen do eventually. They need to continue working on their OLine.

Agreed. Although my very slight preference is still Wentz, I actually think Goff has an advantage over what Matt Ryan did when coming out in that Goff has plenty of experience in eluding the pass rush with subtle moves and delivering the ball. That's one reason why I'll be happy if he ends up being the pick.