Sorting Out Jared Goff's Top Receivers for 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Strange that Tyler Higbee was left out of this article.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5...les-rams-jared-goff-wide-receiver-depth-chart

By QBKlass on May 16, 2016

usa-today-9016655.0.jpg

Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

The Los Angeles Rams receiver group is a grab bag of all sorts of different talents. There's a little something for every type of quarterback and rookie shot caller Jared Goff will have a buffet of options that he can choose to cling to. More than likely, Tavon Austin will once again lead the team in receptions, but it will be interesting to see how Goff ends up distributing the ball and who he starts trusting early on.

Tavon Austin
Austin is the play maker. He has not quite lived up to his draft slot thus far, but his type of player is not meant to be the focal point of a passing offense and for him to have had the success he has had being that guy is impressive. He is an electric player with the ball in his hands, sporting the speed and quickness to turn a quick "drag" route into a 25-plus yard gain.

Despite his questionable ability in traffic, Austin serves as somewhat of a deep threat, too. His route running has become a bit more nuanced over the years, allowing him to use his raw speed to separate after forcing a defensive back to commit too early on way or the other. Austin can't be a receiver who gets 120 targets because of the limitations he has catching in traffic, but the payoff for manufacturing him touches and letting him work as a deep threat is outstanding.

Peak Austin:

Austin1.0.gif

Kenny Britt
If Britt could string together some consistent play, he would be the clear cut top target because of what his skill set is. Britt is a stereotypical "X" receiver at 6'3", 220 (give or take a few pounds). He has shown he can win in contested situations, box out defensive backs and even do a good job of separating by fighting with defenders throughout his route, but Britt has not been able to consistently do those things well. Flashes of high level ability in those areas come from time to time, but not often enough for him to be heavily trusted.

That said, he certainly has value. Britt is a veteran presence whose sporadic ability to dominate catch points will give Goff some sense of security when looking his way. Britt also may be the best deep threat on the team because of his ability to fight for the ball and fight throughout his route to create a pocket of separation in a moment's notice.

Peak Britt:

Britt1.0.gif

Brian Quick
Quick is the ultimate tease. Every so often, he flashes something that once again makes people believe something is there, then he disappears for a long stretch. He has the size, athletic prowess and natural ability to locate the ball that should make him deadly, but he's yet to put everything together and consistently be a threat. With as many other options are there are now, he can be a viable third receiver and a good fourth receiver.

Peak Quick:

Quick1.0.gif

Mike Thomas (rookie)
Of the two drafted receivers in 2016 (whose receiving charts can be found here, via Matt Harmon), Thomas is more intriguing. He is a well built receiver who made a name for himself at Southern Missouri by physically abusing opponents and boxing out defenders at every level of the field. Thomas can create room for himself by beating up defenders throughout the route and, if the play is still contested, has the hops and strength to go up and win the ball in the air. Thomas is the most likely man on the roster to become Goff's security blanket, in due time.

Thomas provides a lot of the same things Britt does, and is even be scarier after the catch. It is doubtful that he outplays Britt out of the gate because the veteran will have more nuance to his game, but Thomas may very quickly close in on Britt. With Britt being a free agent after 2016, Thomas should allow the team to move on from Britt and spend capital elsewhere.

Peak Thomas:

Thomas2.0.gif

Pharoh Cooper (rookie)
If anyone can be a simple chain mover for the Rams, it is Cooper. He is not a dynamic athlete, he does not dominant in traffic or down the field and he isn't a big bodied fellow. What Cooper does do, though, is run routes well and expose open areas of the field when the defense is running zone coverage. He can create quick separation in the short/intermediate game that will allow Goff to pick up a safe chunk of yards.

Cooper can be the same type of player that Jarvis Landry is for the Miami Dolphins, though Landry's understanding of zones and where space is surpasses most any other receiver in the league. Cooper is not quite as advanced in that area, but he provides that same dynamic underneath and is more of a threat with the ball in his hands than Landry has ever been.

Peak Cooper:

Cooper1.0.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Definitely going to be an intriguing camp and preseason to see the young pass catchers in action.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Strange that Tyler Higbee was left out of this article.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5...les-rams-jared-goff-wide-receiver-depth-chart

By QBKlass on May 16, 2016

usa-today-9016655.0.jpg

Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

The Los Angeles Rams receiver group is a grab bag of all sorts of different talents. There's a little something for every type of quarterback and rookie shot caller Jared Goff will have a buffet of options that he can choose to cling to. More than likely, Tavon Austin will once again lead the team in receptions, but it will be interesting to see how Goff ends up distributing the ball and who he starts trusting early on.

Tavon Austin
Austin is the play maker. He has not quite lived up to his draft slot thus far, but his type of player is not meant to be the focal point of a passing offense and for him to have had the success he has had being that guy is impressive. He is an electric player with the ball in his hands, sporting the speed and quickness to turn a quick "drag" route into a 25-plus yard gain.

Despite his questionable ability in traffic, Austin serves as somewhat of a deep threat, too. His route running has become a bit more nuanced over the years, allowing him to use his raw speed to separate after forcing a defensive back to commit too early on way or the other. Austin can't be a receiver who gets 120 targets because of the limitations he has catching in traffic, but the payoff for manufacturing him touches and letting him work as a deep threat is outstanding.

Peak Austin:

Austin1.0.gif

Kenny Britt
If Britt could string together some consistent play, he would be the clear cut top target because of what his skill set is. Britt is a stereotypical "X" receiver at 6'3", 220 (give or take a few pounds). He has shown he can win in contested situations, box out defensive backs and even do a good job of separating by fighting with defenders throughout his route, but Britt has not been able to consistently do those things well. Flashes of high level ability in those areas come from time to time, but not often enough for him to be heavily trusted.

That said, he certainly has value. Britt is a veteran presence whose sporadic ability to dominate catch points will give Goff some sense of security when looking his way. Britt also may be the best deep threat on the team because of his ability to fight for the ball and fight throughout his route to create a pocket of separation in a moment's notice.

Peak Britt:

Britt1.0.gif

Brian Quick
Quick is the ultimate tease. Every so often, he flashes something that once again makes people believe something is there, then he disappears for a long stretch. He has the size, athletic prowess and natural ability to locate the ball that should make him deadly, but he's yet to put everything together and consistently be a threat. With as many other options are there are now, he can be a viable third receiver and a good fourth receiver.

Peak Quick:

Quick1.0.gif

Mike Thomas (rookie)
Of the two drafted receivers in 2016 (whose receiving charts can be found here, via Matt Harmon), Thomas is more intriguing. He is a well built receiver who made a name for himself at Southern Missouri by physically abusing opponents and boxing out defenders at every level of the field. Thomas can create room for himself by beating up defenders throughout the route and, if the play is still contested, has the hops and strength to go up and win the ball in the air. Thomas is the most likely man on the roster to become Goff's security blanket, in due time.

Thomas provides a lot of the same things Britt does, and is even be scarier after the catch. It is doubtful that he outplays Britt out of the gate because the veteran will have more nuance to his game, but Thomas may very quickly close in on Britt. With Britt being a free agent after 2016, Thomas should allow the team to move on from Britt and spend capital elsewhere.

Peak Thomas:

Thomas2.0.gif

Pharoh Cooper (rookie)
If anyone can be a simple chain mover for the Rams, it is Cooper. He is not a dynamic athlete, he does not dominant in traffic or down the field and he isn't a big bodied fellow. What Cooper does do, though, is run routes well and expose open areas of the field when the defense is running zone coverage. He can create quick separation in the short/intermediate game that will allow Goff to pick up a safe chunk of yards.

Cooper can be the same type of player that Jarvis Landry is for the Miami Dolphins, though Landry's understanding of zones and where space is surpasses most any other receiver in the league. Cooper is not quite as advanced in that area, but he provides that same dynamic underneath and is more of a threat with the ball in his hands than Landry has ever been.

Peak Cooper:

Cooper1.0.gif
Maybe Higbee was left out because the writer only wanted to speak about WR's and not TE's. IDK. Just a thought.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
With the old adage of "it truly takes 3 yrs for WR's to develop in the NFL", I don't think we should expect too much from the young guys too quickly. More probable of "flashes of talent" but coupled with "growing pains".

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
With the old adage of "it truly takes 3 yrs for WR's to develop in the NFL", I don't think we should expect too much from the young guys too quickly. More probable of "flashes of talent" but coupled with "growing pains".
I agree, but with so many intriguing new guys, I think the chances are better that ONE of the new guys, or a combination of two of them, will show immediate results, or have early season or late season surges of success. This may be enough, along with Britt and Tavon to help Goff, and take the pressure off of Gurley.

My sense is that Pharoh Cooper will find the transition relatively easy, and late in the year Higbee and Thomas will have a couple big games. Spruce is my darkhorse.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Gurley will lead the team in receptions early in the year, then Britt later on..Tavons touches will be about the same, and his overall numbers will go up slightly from last season, his TD numbers remain about the same.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He has not quite lived up to his draft slot thus far,

Stopped reading right there.

If not for penalties on STs (many bogus) and some other on offense (namely the Jake Long tripping call) Tavon would have a lot more long plays and scores. And considering some of the players taken before and after him, he's produced quite well. Which says something based on how most draft picks end up being journeymen if they are lucky.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree, but with so many intriguing new guys, I think the chances are better that ONE of the new guys, or a combination of two of them, will show immediate results, or have early season or late season surges of success. This may be enough, along with Britt and Tavon to help Goff, and take the pressure off of Gurley.

My sense is that Pharoh Cooper will find the transition relatively easy, and late in the year Higbee and Thomas will have a couple big games. Spruce is my darkhorse.

Yeah Coop is the guy who should be able to get a lot of involvement right away in the slot. Tavon is fine at flanker with the motion ability and whatnot, so those two should be on the field together for a lot of snaps.

I'm with 46 in that I'm pumped up about Thomas too but he's gonna project out there at split end. Just don't think he'll be able to beat out Britt right out the gate. Britt's a solid vet, he is what he is, and IMO if Thomas does come in and play well early on Britt is going to benefit. So I think Thomas is a year two guy most likely but man it would be nice to see the kid come in and win that job.

What's cool is that neither of those guys are the biggest potential additions for Goff. Higbee is. I'm worried about whether he can keep his nose clean but if he can? Man the sky's the limit for that dude.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah Coop is the guy who should be able to get a lot of involvement right away in the slot. Tavon is fine at flanker with the motion ability and whatnot, so those two should be on the field together for a lot of snaps.

I'm with 46 in that I'm pumped up about Thomas too but he's gonna project out there at split end. Just don't think he'll be able to beat out Britt right out the gate. Britt's a solid vet, he is what he is, and IMO if Thomas does come in and play well early on Britt is going to benefit. So I think Thomas is a year two guy most likely but man it would be nice to see the kid come in and win that job.

What's cool is that neither of those guys are the biggest potential additions for Goff. Higbee is. I'm worried about whether he can keep his nose clean but if he can? Man the sky's the limit for that dude.

I'm gratified to learn that you share my high expectations for Higbee, Merlin.

After 3 years of Cook, I am sooooo ready for a real pass catching TE threat. And just in time for Goff, too.

Some of the TE play I saw in last year's playoffs was a real eye opener for me. Wanted some of that for the Rams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm gratified to learn that you share my high expectations for Higbee, Merlin.

After 3 years of Cook, I am sooooo ready for a real pass catching TE threat. And just in time for Goff, too.

Some of the TE play I saw in last year's playoffs was a real eye opener for me. Wanted some of that for the Rams.

What cool too, 43, is that Fish is very high on the guy. Fish is usually very understated with rookies but he said he might play earlier than expected. Really hope the staff doesn't bust his balls too much on the blocking stuff. Just line him up and let him slay LBs and safeties mano a mano.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What cool too, 43, is that Fish is very high on the guy. Fish is usually very understated with rookies but he said he might play earlier than expected. Really hope the staff doesn't bust his balls too much on the blocking stuff. Just line him up and let him slay LBs and safeties mano a mano.

Yup, Merlin.

Goff already has an impressive red zone scoring percentage vs ints.

Add a 6'6" Higbee with great hands and fights for the ball?

Hoo boy!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't count out the kid from Colorado, Nelson Spruce. Exellent route runner (something current Rams recievers have had trouble with), Played against big PAC-12 DB's and is all time leaders in receptions in PAC-12, done on a perennial loser team. This kid knows how to get open.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Don't count out the kid from Colorado, Nelson Spruce. Exellent route runner (something current Rams recievers have had trouble with), Played against big PAC-12 DB's and is all time leaders in receptions in PAC-12, done on a perennial loser team. This kid knows how to get open.

Absolutely right, bubba.

Not counting ANYONE out. There appears to be at least 6 new WR's that are legit candidates to make this team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

That is a generalization though. Marques Colston, Gregg Jennins, Victor Cruz, OBJ, Sammy Watkins, Deandre Hopkins, etc....... These guys did very well right out of the gate and Colston was a 7th rounder, I think Cruz was a 6th or 7th, Jennings a 4th maybe. Some guys have the mental part down pretty well when they arrive and others have skills that are just tough to defend no matter what the situation is. I think the Cooper has the type of game that will translate pretty quickly. Thomas may struggle a bit early. He will just need to get familiar with how NFL DBs play against him and what he can do to negate it. There are many Tight Ends that came out punching though. Higbee could have a pretty good year for a rookie. Great hands and good route running can do that for you. Throw in an accurate QB, and we are golden.

jap

Legend
That is a generalization though. Marques Colston, Gregg Jennins, Victor Cruz, OBJ, Sammy Watkins, Deandre Hopkins, etc....... These guys did very well right out of the gate and Colston was a 7th rounder, I think Cruz was a 6th or 7th, Jennings a 4th maybe. Some guys have the mental part down pretty well when they arrive and others have skills that are just tough to defend no matter what the situation is. I think the Cooper has the type of game that will translate pretty quickly. Thomas may struggle a bit early. He will just need to get familiar with how NFL DBs play against him and what he can do to negate it. There are many Tight Ends that came out punching though. Higbee could have a pretty good year for a rookie. Great hands and good route running can do that for you. Throw in an accurate QB, and we are golden.

Don't forget our own Torry Holt!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
How many of them started with a rookie QB?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, Jennings was a second rounder, OBJ, Watkins, and Hopkins were first rounders - OBJ and Watkins high first rounders. So their success wasn't shocking - and even then not common right out of the gate. The occasional later pick succeeds immediately, but it shouldn't be planned on.

I do hope that at least one rookie receiver makes some sort of impact - not star level initially, but a decent contributor, with Britt, Austin, Gurley and Kendricks taking the majority of targets. Hopefully with those guys doing their thing, the pressure will be off of the rookie receivers, and they can find their way to become important to the team.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Maybe ive been drinking too much kool-aid but I think Tavon, Thomas, Cooper, and Higbee with be long term answers for this team (assuming contracts work out of course). I've been higher on Thomas than most, but I seriously think he can be a true No1 WR and post yearly numbers of 80+ rec and 1,000+ yards

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
The GIF showing "peak Austin" might also have shown us "peak Foles" (the pump fake) and "peak GRob" (the late spot and pick up of the blitzing DB from the edge) as well. Great play all round.