Sorry Brothers, Patience To Be Required

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
As Free Agency nears, those who demand the Quick Fix and Splash Signings will not get much from this administration. Sure, fans will scream that this is do or die season for Fisher but it really isn't. Kroenke may prove to be untrustworthy to St. Louisians, but he is deliberate and patient. Fisher is what Stan wants right now, a steady hand keeping the organization intact during a turbulent time.

In return, Snead and Fisher will continue to build the team internally with youth through the draft. Aging veterans are more prone to injury, and injuries have been this team's bane for over a dozen years now. The most expensive free agents signed (Finnegan, Long) have crippled the team. They let Amendola and SJax go due to their injury risks. If there was a legitimate replacement for Bradford available, he would be gone too. If I were a betting man, I'd say the only significant new FA signing will be a veteran center as they tend to value competence over physical ability at that position. But if Hudson or Wiz are too high priced or won't come, don't be surprised to see Barnes and Jones used until a rookie is groomed.

The M.O. will continue to be develop and re-sign homegrown talent. It isn't sexy but in the long run, it may produce a consistent contender and a more tightly knit "team" that work better as a unit than the sum of their parts.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I agree. FA is about getting headlines in March. I want headlines in December-January.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
This administration has made at least one big free agent acquisition each year. While I don't expect a huge frenzy of activity - I don't think they are going to sit on their hands either.

One of the nice things about having such a young roster is that so much of the team is still on their first (cheap) contracts.

I'm thinking we get a name to be excited about.

…..

Legend
I'm still suffering from good vibes recieved from the Mark Barron aquisition, so I'm set for now.

Having said that, I'm interested to see what the FO will come up with next. If I had to guess, I'd guess we go OL in free agency. Use cap savings to sign a guy like Ben Grubbs (if the Saints let him go) and resign Barksdale.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm still suffering from good vibes recieved from the Mark Barron aquisition, so I'm set for now.

Having said that, I'm interested to see what the FO will come up with next. If I had to guess, I'd guess we go OL in free agency. Use cap savings to sign a guy like Ben Grubbs (if the Saints let him go) and resign Barksdale.

Yeah that ranking PFF gave Barron in the Bernie article was uninformed , he if used properly renders more value than we surrendered

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah that ranking PFF gave Barron in the Bernie article was uninformed , he if used properly renders more value than we surrendered

I view the Barron trade an extension of their previous draft scouting. His skill set was believed to fit this defense years ago. If there's one thing obvious about Snead, he's better at the draft than pro player evaluation.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Chip Kelly here in Philly is going crazy with letting players go. Heard he has a back to replace shady McCoy that he wants in free agency. Bradley Fletcher is back on the market. Not that I want him back, would rather have Cary Williams if givin a choice.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I agree that there will be no big splash in free agency. I to like the Barron trade for the draft pick. I am just wondering how this whole Qb situation is going to pan out

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Chip Kelly here in Philly is going crazy with letting players go. Heard he has a back to replace shady McCoy that he wants in free agency. Bradley Fletcher is back on the market. Not that I want him back, would rather have Cary Williams if givin a choice.
C.J. Spiller, bank on it!

ausmurp

Starter
You can't say there will be no big FA acquisitions, you don't know that. For all you know we go after and sign Cobb.

FA is not about headlines, it's about signing players to improve your team. Sure there are FA busts just like there are draft busts - we've had a few in the past few years - but there are several examples of FA working out as well. This team needs to make a few moves in FA just as bad as they need to have a good draft.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Many of the players never perform up to their contract. I like what the Patriots do and how they build. You want more money? There's the door. We'll get an UDFA just as good.

Granted they have no pass rush or hardly any elite players, just a darn good model.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep...we've had three offseasons of "building through the draft", and it got us 20 total wins in three years (trending downward, I might add). I know Free Agency is usually a rip off....but you can't count on draft picks to make a significant contribution their rookie years....so if you see holes that need filled, they better get filled in FA

V3

Hall of Fame
Just get me one of the top centers and I'll be happy. An OG would be nice, too, but starting quality OG's and RT's can be found in this draft.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Patience? You want patience????

I'll give you patience!!!

How about no winning seasons since 2003? How's that for patience!!!

Don't talk to me about patience!!!

I want it all!!! And I want it NOW!!!!

Sign all the big name free agents!!! TODAY!!!

Oh, and the possible outcasts too!!

I want Spiller... and I want Myers... and I want Johnson... and I want Dockett... and I want Marshall!!!

I want all of them!!

Dammit, Demoff... get off your ass and let's build this dream team NOW!!!

/sarcasm off/

Back to reality...
I think the Rams need to be signularly focused on building up that Oline. No more aged vets who we hope won't break down in a year or two. Get me some youngsters who have proven they have real potential.

Marshall? Johnson? Nope. Not for me.

Get me Olinemen who have proven themselves to be top tier and can stay healthy and plug the holes we need filled.

If they do that, I'll be satisified they did what they could to really improve this team in 2015.