Something I noticed regarding Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Winning isn't as important this year as it is in coming years IMO.
604d8216a68246bc93310164a930504f.png

I'm not sure how you meant that, but winning's every bit as important this year as any year. It's not only about Goff going forward. If he should snap an ankle or break a wrist, are we to minimize the importance of winning because of it, or soldier on and win anyway?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Gurley's best numbers come from when he's broken 1-2 huge runs NO MATTER WHO was at QB. Otherwise his numbers have been rather pedestrian no matter who is the QB.

49 yard run vs. the Lions. 34 yard run vs. Arizona. Both happened with Keenum starting last year.

The difference this year? He's yet to have those 1-2 huge runs to skew his numbers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am still inclined to think one of the various reasons Fisher hasn't thrown Goff to the wolves is because he wanted to see how the OL shook out the first few games. It would be bad enough if the kid just weren't ready himself, but it would be a major issue if his issues were compounded by a line that just wasn't playing well.

You may be right about that, but of course no way to know. I do think Fisher's hesitation to play Goff comes down to injury risk for the most part. When a QB doesn't have a handle on the protections he is going to get hit more than he should, and yeah with an OL that isn't quite settled yet that just compounds things. Goff taking those hits in preseason game one traumatized Fish I think, who responded by pulling him out.

But going back to the practices in camp I just gotta say again that Goff puts that ball downfield with authority and accuracy. IMO behind the scenes the staff is itching to get him in there, because I know they saw what was obvious to those in attendance. They're just not gonna do it until Wienke says he's ready with those protections.

And back to Gurley, with better run blocking he is the kind of back that doesn't need a QB taking the pressure off him. But once Goff gets in there and starts making teams pay? Yeah, it's gonna get real for defenses we face.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Gurley's best numbers come from when he's broken 1-2 huge runs NO MATTER WHO was at QB. Otherwise his numbers have been rather pedestrian no matter who is the QB.

49 yard run vs. the Lions. 34 yard run vs. Arizona. Both happened with Keenum starting last year.

The difference this year? He's yet to have those 1-2 huge runs to skew his numbers.

YOU TAKE IT BACK!

hqcqj-imgur.gif

Well, actually, you're right. And that's a question that has many possible answers. Is it the QB's fault? The OC's fault? The line's fault? The system's fault? Gurley's fault? The receivers' fault? I tend to lean toward system, but I really don't know what the system is. You can usually trace roots and discover tendencies or trends, but I'm having a difficult time with that. It's not WCO (Shurmur), it's not Coryell (Martz), it's not Erhardt-Perkins (McDaniels), it's not even Schotty's bastardized Coryell system. It does seem like a heavy amount of it is designed to mimic the Erhardt-Perkins strategy, but in the run game as opposed to the passing game. Specifically, using multiple formations and looks to run the same few run plays. Lotta 12 personnel and heavy formations that all of a sudden turn into trips or 4 wide a play later, too. I dunno. I just don't get it sometimes.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think the stats disprove your theory just as good as support it. Gurley's woes rests with the OL's performance and the situations the formations put them in play to play. Unfortunately, Keenum and Goff are probably equal players right now in what you get as an end result. Kinda like the tortoise and the hare. The safe bet is the tortoise and we all know which way Fisher chooses so WHY WRING YOUR HANDS AND MAKE YOURSELF CRAZY??????? It will change in due time.;)

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
What I see is the Rams seeking out wins with Keenum. He did some good things this week sure, but his passes still lack velocity and have far too much arc to them. I think he leaves some plays on the field too. Plus if Goff is close to being able to start, then the more live reps the better. Get him in there to learn the speed of the game and get experience. Winning isn't as important this year as it is in coming years IMO.
I hear you, that pass to Tavon was just a crazy floater, when I saw it released I though it was a pick for sure.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow I thought there was some insight actually about Gurley NOPE just another lame attempt to promote why isn't Goff playing. As if there could possibly be anything that hasn't be said about the dead horse, really.
If you don't like what I presented in my post, or you think I'm beating a dead horse, you don't have to read on. I'm fine with you disagreeing with me, but I don't see why you have to call my attempt to support my opinion as "lame" because you have a different opinion. I guess I am in the jrry camp in regards to Goff and you're not. Agree to disagree?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I think to open things up for Gurley the Rams can start changing their game plan a little. How do you beat 8 men in the box? Throw the ball downfield a little. We have 2, 6'3" recievers who are facing man coverage, throw the ball downfield and let Britt or Quick go up and make a play. Also have your TEs run some routes to get the LBs moving. Even an incomplete pass 30, 40 yards downfield can open things up a little.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
604d8216a68246bc93310164a930504f.png

I'm not sure how you meant that, but winning's every bit as important this year as any year. It's not only about Goff going forward. If he should snap an ankle or break a wrist, are we to minimize the importance of winning because of it, or soldier on and win anyway?

I meant that putting so much importance on winning now and not getting Goff experience will only delay him that much more next year. At some point when you draft a QB #1 overall, you have to admit that the future is more important than the presence...unless your starter is Brett Favre.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I think to open things up for Gurley the Rams can start changing their game plan a little. How do you beat 8 men in the box? Throw the ball downfield a little. We have 2, 6'3" recievers who are facing man coverage, throw the ball downfield and let Britt or Quick go up and make a play. Also have your TEs run some routes to get the LBs moving. Even an incomplete pass 30, 40 yards downfield can open things up a little.

Totally agree...Teams know we are relying more on running than passing. If you arent mixing it up the other team already knows what we are doing. I think we need to stop being afraid of throwing it deep and use the field more instead of repetitively attacking the exact same parts of the field.

fearsomefour

Legend
What I see is the Rams seeking out wins with Keenum. He did some good things this week sure, but his passes still lack velocity and have far too much arc to them. I think he leaves some plays on the field too. Plus if Goff is close to being able to start, then the more live reps the better. Get him in there to learn the speed of the game and get experience. Winning isn't as important this year as it is in coming years IMO.
So that is the crux of it.
Willing to take the chance to toss the year away.
I'm would not be at this point

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Didn't we just see that Sunday? I think things on O are changing, slowly, but are changing. Somebody got the energy to compare our stat lines this past week with other teams? I'm thinking it doesn't look too out of kilter. Gurley did nearly get 100 yards right? Score two TDs right? Quick caught a 44 yard TD? Austin caught one down field right?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Didn't we just see that Sunday? I think things on O are changing, slowly, but are changing. Somebody got the energy to compare our stat lines this past week with other teams? I'm thinking it doesn't look too out of kilter. Gurley did nearly get 100 yards right? Score two TDs right? Quick caught a 44 yard TD? Austin caught one down field right?

We did and it worked pretty good, right? I was responding to the OP. If we do that every week then things will open up more for Gurley.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
These are game management numbers. They'll never headline Sportscenter. They'll never be the lead story. But as long as Ws come out the other side, who cares? If our D shores up some things, this works more often than not. Gurley's numbers will continue to get better if this O keeps improving. When Goff is ready, this O really takes flight. I just think Fisher doesn't want to crash on takeoff.

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
C. Keenum 14 26 190 2 1
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
T. Gurley 27 85 2 16

Third Down Efficiency 6/13

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
What I've noticed with Gurley, is that he's pressing too hard, and missing cutbacks that are available. He's just running where the hole is designed to be. He's running hard, he's running with power, but.... he needs to be a little more patient, IMO.

He has great vision, but he is forfeiting it, by getting caught in the muck.

And our line hasn't gelled yet. How could they?

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, actually, you're right. And that's a question that has many possible answers. Is it the QB's fault? The OC's fault? The line's fault? The system's fault? Gurley's fault? The receivers' fault? I tend to lean toward system, but I really don't know what the system is. You can usually trace roots and discover tendencies or trends, but I'm having a difficult time with that.

I think it's mainly the OL at this point. All OL will have that game where the defense gets enough penetration to disrupt the run game, but we've had a few in a row now.

But back to Gurley... Basically I think the guy is an elite back, i.e. so good that if you give him a seam even against a loaded front he's gonna bust enough big runs to have a good average per rush. The Rams need to get that OL playing better in the run game, but could also of course help him even further through scheme in the passing game, and making defenses defend the whole field.

Problem there though IMO is that won't happen until Goff gets in there and starts jacking secondaries when they load the box. That is when this offense will take the next step and become something exciting for us. Out of nowhere people will be talking about the Rams' young and dynamic offensive backfield and how G&G are going to take this league by storm for years.

Bruce2980

Starter
Outside of the SF game it has been pretty solid. Keenum has also (post week 1) shown a willingness to stand in the pocket and take hits for the most part.
There is (likely) not some magical special offense that is going to come in with Goff. Our passing O is what it is.
Keenan's 2 TD were down the field. How people forget this a day after the game is beyond me. Also the TD to Austin he audibled into....because Austin was on a S....this cannot be overstated.
I want to see why Goff can do too and, like everyone else on here I am sure, want whomever is playing to do well. But, replacing the QB after he did what he needs to do.....be efficient (figuring in the drops, Britt and Austin not the "devil"....aka Quick) and make some plays downfield....makes no sense.
There is perception and reality. Sometimes fans bend reality to fit their perception.
Keenums girly boy arm doesn't allow him to throw the ball into small windows, and some argue he can't do it in medium sized one either, and he doesn't try. His completion success comes when guys are wide open, like the strike to Quick for a TD. Keenums stats against pressure and blitzes suck. Yes, he did make a nice play knowing he was going to get hit, but there are a lot of QBs that do that all of the time at all levels of football. An accurate QB with a strong arm, kind of like the one that the farm was traded for, in theory, and as shown at the college level, should make on hell of a difference in getting the ball down field and into small windows. You'll see the difference in a short time I am sure.

Bruce2980

Starter
What I've noticed with Gurley, is that he's pressing too hard, and missing cutbacks that are available. He's just running where the hole is designed to be. He's running hard, he's running with power, but.... he needs to be a little more patient, IMO.

He has great vision, but he is forfeiting it, by getting caught in the muck.

And our line hasn't gelled yet. How could they?
Our linemen aren't even running the right way on some plays, causing other linemen to trip over them. And as far as Gurley being patient, he can't even take a step passed the line of scrimmage, on average, without being hit. That frustrates patience. Patience is for allowing holes to be created for him to run through, not for allowing five unblocked defenders to come crashing through.
I wonder if this o line has been working a lot more on pass protection that run blocking? They are very good at pass protection, where last year they weren't. Now the run blocking is improving from where it was in week one and two, but is still sub par. If this is true then could this have been Fishers plan for starting a rookie QB?

RamzFanz

Damnit
It's almost like Rams' fans have forgotten how to appreciate a QB that wins.

I'm on the start Goff bandwagon too, I'm just not pulling for the Rams benching a winning QB for an experiment until he's ready. He's not ready or he would be starting.