Someone sell me on Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
How many TDs where a receiver catches the pass 99% of the time has Sam had taken away? Quick's against Carolina stands out, but that would have been a 2 TD 1 INT performance, there's been drive killing drops which could have ended in a TD, but I can't remember many which that blatantly took away a TD and changed a game. Any way my point wasn't that Sam can or can't do it, my point was that 4 TDs and 1 INT is an excellent performance, you can't put a loss on a QB who is an awful drop away from doing that. Or maybe you can.
I can't think of the specific examples this early in the morning but I know there's a handful of them. But I understand your point and agree(to a point) that it's valid to look at what a QB "should" have had on his stat line. I was all for starting Davis and am not against going back to him but both under the right circumstances.

I'm not sure that a 2 game break would be enough to fix what was going wrong with Davis. After a very promising start, he faded very quickly and I'm not sure that what was going wrong is something he just needs to work on vs. something he's just not capable of.

Hill is what he is but that's serviceable. And knowing what there is to work with has value. Obviously, you don't want to put the game in his hands on a regular basis but he can put the team in a position to win and is relatively consistent with what he does. Nothing to write home about but I think consistency serves the team better than the wild extremes of how Davis was playing his last few games.

moklerman

Warner-phile
For the record though...

Snead and Fisher waited WAAAAAAAAYYYYY too long to actually address the O-Line. That's their biggest fault and it's a big one. They spent on re-tread O-Lineman who couldn't/can't stay healthy or weren't that good and went in other directions in the draft until Robinson.

You could legit say they failed to adequately protect the biggest investment and most integral player on the team, hell, the player they said drew them to this job. I get their need to address the D early and am glad for some of the picks.....but quite frankly, we could have a far better O-Line, built through the draft, playing better because of cohesiveness (i.e. we drafted them) and we didn't.

That's a big black eye on this regime.
Granted, the path they chose didn't turn out the way they wanted but they didn't fail to address the o-line. The same thing happened with the Houston Texans their first year. They decided to go with the 1/1 Qb and build the line through FA. Went out and got the best LT available and other pieces to build their line in FA. Well, that LT got hurt and I believe the RT did too. So, Carr is left to get pummeled.

It isn't like the Rams skimped on the line either. Long was the best LT out there. Wells was a big signing too. Boudreau is considered one of the best coaches. I mean, their intentions and actions aren't indicative of disregard.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Based on what Fisher has accomplished with what he was given when he came here, I'm willing to give him another year or two.I agree with mr.stloius we are a playoff caliber team and we win a lot of games that we lost this year with Bradford.Having said that Fisher does need to make sure this year does not repeat itself.He has to go into next year with 2 capable QB's with Bradford hopefully being one of them.

Athos

Legend
Meh. Wells was already on the decline. Long still had that checkered injury history. I could be wrong, but I'd bet that they best O-Lines in the NFL are built from within except maybe 1 piece or so. That's how DAL did it once they finally wizened up. I bet if you looked thru the top lines last year, most probably boast mult. draft picks by the team.

Could have had Cordy Glenn. Could have had Larry Warford.

V3

Hall of Fame
What do all the good teams have in common? They have QB's. We have had scrubs for QB's playing the mostv important position all year.

The supporting cast for the QB is actually really strong if you add a stud C and OG.

PHI, DAL, ARZ, maybe SF and SD would all have been W's had we had a legit. None the less, Fisher managed to beat DEN, SEA, and SF with QB's that nobody would touch for starters unless they had to. That's pretty dam amazing being those three teams all have top 5.

So you say you need convincing? Sheesh man, you just ain't reading between the lines.

We are legit contenders right now with a starting calibre QB. Since we don't have a healthy starter, we're 4-and freaking-7 . :mad::fighting::coach:
You can say it's all because we don't have a QB but where are we supposed to get one now? They aren't going to be high enough to get one that could start next year(unless they hit gold like SEA did with a later pick). If they keep Bradford, I'd be beyond shocked if he makes it a full season. Looking past his durability, he still had his issues like completely not seeing wide open receivers, balls batted at the line, refusal to use pump fakes, pocket presence, mobility, etc. So the way I see it, unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat in the draft, the QB situation is still going to haunt this team for more than just the present and near future.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
You can say it's all because we don't have a QB but where are we supposed to get one now? They aren't going to be high enough to get one that could start next year(unless they hit gold like SEA did with a later pick). If they keep Bradford, I'd be beyond shocked if he makes it a full season. Looking past his durability, he still had his issues like completely not seeing wide open receivers, balls batted at the line, refusal to use pump fakes, pocket presence, mobility, etc. So the way I see it, unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat in the draft, the QB situation is still going to haunt this team for more than just the present and near future.

Yeah, but dam was he great on PA and boot legs. We've ran a ton of PA passes this year and it makes me wonder.

And I rremember last year our young WR'ing core had a ton of miscues and Sam didn't seem to trust Quick, yet. It felt like we were about to turn a corner when Sam went down. This year would have been a whole diffrent story.

I don't expect Sam to make it a whole year, either. But like you said, who else is there? Sam is the only option as a starter.

I think we need a guy like Vick as our #2.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Put Rodgers, Bree's, Manning, Brady, Wilson, Rivers, or even Rome on this team and Fisher suddenly looks like an excellent coach.

Every consistently good NFL team has a very good QB. However Fisher cannot manufacture one out of thin air.

Alan

Legend
Elmgrovegnome thinking it's all about the QB:
Put Rodgers, Bree's, Manning, Brady, Wilson, Rivers, or even Rome on this team and Fisher suddenly looks like an excellent coach.
He'd only look like an excellent coach to those that mainly look at the talent level at all the positions and not how what talent we do have is being used. So no, Fish still wouldn't look like a excellent coach to me. He'd look like an OK coach who's is riding on the coattails of a great QB.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rNsodyWqPY

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Is Fisher the best coach in the game? No. But he's a competent head coach...and we haven't had one of those since Dick Vermeil.

Mike Martz?

When Fisher was hired most of us knew what we were getting based on his history - a competent coach who would put together a tough defense, a good running game, a chippy team with lots of penalties that would be feared and respected, and get us into the 7-9 to 9-7 range. My hope was that once he did that we would hire another HC who would take us to the next level.

After the previous disastrous seasons that Rams fans experienced pre-Jeff Fisher, this has been an improvement. Now we want more.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Fisher with Gregg Williams and I hope the Rams can get it right at Quarterback and offensively. This off season will showcase quite a bit and it does not help matters that the team has quite a bit surrounding it. Fisher is a player's coach and does many good things, but right now it seems the Rams are stuck in purgatory.

Athos

Legend
Yeah, but dam was he great on PA and boot legs. We've ran a ton of PA passes this year and it makes me wonder.

And I rremember last year our young WR'ing core had a ton of miscues and Sam didn't seem to trust Quick, yet. It felt like we were about to turn a corner when Sam went down. This year would have been a whole diffrent story.

Sam was a master in the RZ for what he had to work with imo. And he was a master at PA too. He sold that shit. Hill and Davis both SUCK at PA. I don't mean to be hurtful, but they absolutely suck at it.

And yep, Sam was awesome with that bootleg TD play. I think Sam would be awesome passing to Britt and Quick imo. And I think he'd have gotten a great chemistry with Sted too.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
We currently sit here with a 4-7 record, it looks very likely that we won't have a winning season 3 years in, we're yet to have a top 10 D, or a top 20 O, we still can't defend the pass, 26th defensive passer rating, on target for the worst completion percentage ever, beating the record set by us last season, and yet no one seems in the least bit disgruntled with him, why?

Because he isn't an issue.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Sam was a master in the RZ for what he had to work with imo. And he was a master at PA too. He sold that crap. Hill and Davis both SUCK at PA. I don't mean to be hurtful, but they absolutely suck at it.

And yep, Sam was awesome with that bootleg TD play. I think Sam would be awesome passing to Britt and Quick imo. And I think he'd have gotten a great chemistry with Sted too.
i

Plus he had that cannon arm and really good accuracy. Hills arm is OK and Davis arm just blows. It's really noticeable at outdoor stadiums. Those babies looked like hanging breaking balls just asking to get picked or the WR killed in KC. In fact, Quick did get killed. We just need some different alternatives to the mighty Sammy B.

I really am hoping for Vick.

fearsomefour

Legend
Teams that are consistently contending usually have very little turnover in regards to the head coach. The Rams went through a seemingly endless rotation of coaches that, in some cases (Linehan), seemed unable to prepare a team for a game. The talent level was bad. When Fisher was brought in, with Snead, the team was hitting the reset button. Starting over and building basically from the ground up. They need to be given the time to see if they can complete the task or not. The talent is better and the team is competitive despite some serious injury issues. I think this team is ready to contend going into next year as long as the talent does not take a step back. In reality going from the worst team in the league to a 7 win team (with an unsteady QB spot) is pretty remarkable.

fearsomefour

Legend
i

Plus he had that cannon arm and really good accuracy. Hills arm is OK and Davis arm just blows. It's really noticeable at outdoor stadiums. Those babies looked like hanging breaking balls just asking to get picked or the WR killed in KC. In fact, Quick did get killed. We just need some different alternatives to the mighty Sammy B.

I really am hoping for Vick.
Vick? A guy who can't stay healthy and can't read Ds....no thanks.

Lesson

Oh, really?
It appears that Fisher has built the team everywhere, aside from QB, from scratch. His biggest misfire so far has been Pead. Yeah, it pisses me off to see Indy and the Redskins-for a year-to have immediate success. However, compare their divisions vs the Rams. Additionally, Fisher inherited a team that had the worst 5 year stretch in NFL history. He doesn't appear to be a micromanager, which is why he's been in the NFL for so long. Stability is what the Rams need right now.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Linehan
Spagnolo

Do you really need to be sold on Fisher?

This has been a really bad team for a really long time, we get some very young talent and all the sudden we all have amnesia. This team is in almost every game, and we have the talent to compete with any team in the NFL. Prior to Fish when could anyone here make either of those claims?
I understand everyone being frustrated, but perhaps this analogy will help.

A wife is there for the long haul. Over the years she may not be as sexy as when you first got together, may not be as exciting or spontaneous, but she's there consistently dammit and you know damn well what you have in her. A piece of ass on the side is what we've had here for far too long, and those bytches are unpredictable and it never ends well. I'm sticking with Fish because I can count on him and I know what I have in him. Learn to appreciate what you have, cuz once she's gone you'll have a hard time finding another one:coach:(y)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Rams and Gators or anyone else for that matter doesn't need to be sold on Fisher. There are plenty of people who want a change. In year 3 we're still a team with a losing record. Question is, is he the right guy to move this team forward? They seem to be on the cusp of a really solid team. It shows in wins over Denver, Seattle and SF. But are they always going to be that team no one wants to play in December that is dangerous but out of playoff contention?

So far, I'm ok with him. I guess I look at where we used to be and I know its an improvement. But if we continue to be inconsistent and follow a big win with a big disappointment, lose because of youthful mistakes my patience will run thin. I'm fine with one more year. But at some point that potential has to be realized.