Someone Explain Our Offense To Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
How can Chip Kelly's "gimmick offense" work last night when ours can't? I've always heard that guys like Goff, coming out of spread and air raid offenses in college don't transition well to pro style offenses. Fair enough, but WHY do they HAVE TO transition to a pro style offense? Chip definitely didn't run one last night and he took 28 points from our defense. His offense huddled up, what, 1 time last night? It was a stereotypical college type of offensive system and it worked!

I will never for the life of me understand why a coach and offensive coordinator can't tailor their offensive philosophy to one that fits their QB's strengths. Give him something he's comfortable with. Something he can master and is already familiar with. Kaepernick is a good example of this...I think the guy is a terrible QB but he (and his defense) did enough to end up in a Superbowl.

I'm not advocating a complete Air Raid type of offense installed but why do we insist on having guys like Foles, Keenum and Goff completely change the way they play the game? Foles had success in Kelly's gimmick offense too, came here and crap the bed. Keenum came from a spread offense in Houston where he set NCAA records. We're taking these guys away from what made them successful QBs to begin with and forcing them into an entirely new system; and a crappy one at that.

I'm just ranting right now and I know a lot of people will disagree with me and explain to me why college offenses don't work in the NFL. I just can't understand how you can expect a guy to change everything about his game and expect him to succeed.
It's ugly. I know people are down on him as a head coach, but I would have loved it had they had acquired Chip Kelly. But I guess they felt continuity was the greater need as the team transitioned cities. Like The Dude says, !@#$ it. There's always a perfect storm of bologna keeping this team down.

But to answer your question, Todd Gurley. He's the unchallenged star on this offense, and to that point I have no problem. Obviously you're not going to have a successful rushing attack running from the shotgun all day long. So I don't know what's wrong with Goff, what's in his head, if they picked the wrong guy or what, but he needs to get it figured out yesterday.

I also don't think that this is all on Keenum. An NFL offense just can't put up zero without blaming the coaching staff.

So I think they're going to start Keenum at least one more game, and they should give him that. !@#$ it, I'll even go so far as to say that they owe it to him. And when they do, and assuming that the team doesn't try it's best at a Doctor Jeckyll/Mr. Hyde impression against the Seahawks (yeah right), and assuming that Goff still isn't ready yet, then they may as well send Sean Mannion out there.

There's a whole lot of something going wrong here, and it can't just be on the quarterbacks.

And you know what? This team really left their defense hanging out to dry in order to "improve the offense", leaving them with absolutely no strength. My patience with Fisher is flat out gone.

Sorry, this turned into a rant.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Not sure why anyone would be surprised. We have had the same offense the last 4 years. It is pathetic and easy to predict. Fisher has no vision and should not be in the league. The sad part is that IF we get rid of him (should have canned him 2 years ago) we will have to retool and learn everything from scratch and more than that, we have given our 1st round pick next year away already for a QB that............(Different subject not going there)

I am embarrassed (again) to be a Rams fan