Someone explain Mo Alexander jail time to me...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Is there more to this story than what I hear?

Kid throwing punches at a party and one landing requiring medical treatment?

That's it?

No guns, knives, dogs, explosives, drugs, DWI, rape, 2nd time offender, etc...?

I don't get it. How do you get 1 year in prison for that after some of the stuff that we have going on and guys walking scott free?

Did I miss something besides the of the unevenness of the legal system?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

That's it?

I don't get it. How do you get 1 year in prison for that after some of the stuff that we have going on and guys walking scott free?

I'm not sure why the punishment was so severe. The one thing I can tell you from working in the prison system is just how uneven our judicial system is.

Sometimes it means the kid had a bad lawyer. Sometimes it means he has a bad judge. Sometimes it means the judge was having a bad day

Or it could be something else entirely. Who knows.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Have to agree - they seem to make it up most (no matter what country you're in) of the time depending on what side of the bed they get out of in the morning, but, he's served his time, lets hope he learns from it and doesn't do ANYTHING stupid again...

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure why the punishment was so severe. The one thing I can tell you from working in the prison system is just how uneven our judicial system is.

Sometimes it means the kid had a bad lawyer. Sometimes it means he has a bad judge. Sometimes it means the judge was having a bad day

Or it could be something else entirely. Who knows.

I hear plenty of stories from lawyer friends about the stats of our system. It's crazy. One story I was told was of a little old lady who could barely walk getting arrested based on a rumor of throwing a chair at someone that didn't even hit anyone and having to take a plea bargain to avoid a criminal record. Mind boggling.

We've got so many guys in the NFL getting away with some horrible stuff, and then I hear the Alexander story and I just shake my head.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
BTW, did anyone else notice the look on Fisher's face when JT said to him you've got a guy who served jail time. If looks could kill, JT would be pushing up roses right now.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
BTW, did anyone else notice the look on Fisher's face when JT said to him you've got a guy who served jail time. If looks could kill, JT would be pushing up roses right now.

The PD writers are shit in the eyes of the Ram decision makers now... I don't blame the Rams on this at all. If I lived in STL,,, I wouldn't even line my parrot's cage with that paper.

I see the relationship between the PD and the Rams actually getting worse. Did you notice that Pat (bernie) "came out" in his column yesterday declaring himself Media Public Enemy #1 to the Rams?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The PD writers are crap in the eyes of the Ram decision makers now... I don't blame the Rams on this at all. If I lived in STL,,, I wouldn't even line my parrot's cage with that paper.

I see the relationship between the PD and the Rams actually getting worse. Did you notice that Pat (bernie) "came out" in his column yesterday declaring himself Media Public Enemy #1 to the Rams?

Yeah. I did see that. The PD is a rag. Most of those guys have such a cynical approach to the Rams that its no wonder that the Rams don't care for them. Those guys just aren't fans of the Rams and it shows. I will say that Burwell at least shows some excitement in wanting the Rams to do well.

At least Karraker and Farr show their allegiance to the Rams. JT and Bernie are just reporting news and opinion with no passion for the Rams doing well.

Slappy967

Starter
Didn't I read that he only served 45 days of that jail time because the judge showed leniency? Pretty sure I read that and that his year away from football was because Utah State kicked him off the team and told him if he made certain changes in his life he had a shot at coming back so he was a janitor during that time.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Didn't I read that he only served 45 days of that jail time because the judge showed leniency? Pretty sure I read that and that his year away from football was because Utah State kicked him off the team and told him if he made certain changes in his life he had a shot at coming back so he was a janitor during that time.

Yup. I did see that. But why did he serve any jail time? I've seen guys get suspended sentences for a lot worse. Was he a first time offender? I read it took over a month for his friend's mother to press charges against Alexander. And supposedly they are still friends. How crazy is that? I mean if your friend refused to drop the charges and pushes to put you behind bars are you still friends with the guy? Just sounds like a weird story. What was his friend expecting to gain by pushing to put Alexander behind bars? This is one weird story.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Didn't I read that he only served 45 days of that jail time because the judge got paid? Pretty sure I read that and that his year away from football was because Utah State kicked him off the team and told him if he made certain changes in his life he had a shot at coming back so he was a janitor during that time.

Fixed it.

RamzFanz

Damnit

That's it?

The problem was that he wasn't on an NFL team yet. I mean, Leonard Little drank and killed a girl and didn't do a single day in prison.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Who is this superhero?

Sarge?

image.jpg

No.

Rosemary, the telephone operator?

image.jpg

No.

Penrod, the mild-mannered janitor?

image.jpg

Could be.

iced

That's it?

Gotta get all details of the story. Was his behavior rude and outlandish, possibly the catalyst of the fight? And more importantly, how much damage did the punch do. Medical bills, history of assaults, etc.

But as the son of an attorney, I'd chalk it up to a terrible lawyer

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Gotta get all details of the story. Was his behavior rude and outlandish, possibly the catalyst of the fight? And more importantly, how much damage did the punch do. Medical bills, history of assaults, etc.

But as the son of an attorney, I'd chalk it up to a terrible lawyer
That's it right there. The part you have in bold.
The person he hit had to undergo emergency surgery.

A friend of mine got 30 days for breaking a jaw once. That said, it's really up to the judge.

iced

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...nced-to-jail-for-hitting-teammate.html?pg=all
A former Utah State University footballplayer has been sentenced to jail for punching a teammate in the face after a party.

Maurice Alexander, who played linebacker for theAggies, was ordered to serve 365 days in jail, pay a $1,500 fine, spend one year on probation and pay $21,341 in restitution by 1st District Court Judge Clint Judkins. The judge suspended all but 45 days of the jail sentence and gave the man credit for the 12 days he has already served.

Alexander, 21, pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of aggravated assault resulting in bodily injury, a class A misdemeanor, in June. He was originally facing a second-degree felony

sounds like they over charged him initially..big difference between a felony and a misdemeanor

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Being Black and poor in America..... perhaps that was his greatest crime.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
That's it right there. The part you have in bold.
The person he hit had to undergo emergency surgery.

A friend of mine got 30 days for breaking a jaw once. That said, it's really up to the judge.

Did your friend serve 30 days and did he have a clean record going in? And did his best friend press charges?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Being Black and poor in America..... perhaps that was his greatest crime.

I think you nailed it.

Plus the kid he hit was white. and they were in Utah. All not the best situations to be in.

You wonder what would have happened if he was a white kid with a good lawyer in FLA?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Did your friend serve 30 days and did he have a clean record going in? And did his best friend press charges?
He did have a clean record, and his mother pressed charges (we were 16-17 at the time).