Some unsolicited O advice for our wunderkind HC McVay...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
And no doubt unneeded advice, at that. But, like many others, I just want to get this off my chest, I guess.

This is strictly from the view from my recliner, mind you...

But I would really like to see the following:

Accelerate the insertion of Reynolds into the starting lineup. Not necessarily 100% of the time, but much more than so far. Reynolds is a future star, and it wouldn't hurt Woods to learn a little lesson in the importance of keeping his poise during a game, either. Don't get me wrong. I like Woods. A very solid and dependable Goff target, normally. But I see stardom in Reynolds' future, and I'd prefer that that future be sooner rather than later.

What more does Everett have to do to earn a starting position? No disrespect to Higbee, but c'mon... Everett is another budding star and deserves more Goff targets. Use him more, cause he's certainly earned the targets. He's gonna be a terror.

Kupp is a great weapon and a reliable Goff target. But it seems now to the point that Goff has swung too much to targeting Kupp. Washington held a clinic on knocking Kupp off his timed routes, btw. Hopefully, the Rams can counter that to their advantage. Washington coaches cleverly turned a perceived Ram advantage into a bit of an exposed weakness. Can our coaches use that to their advantage?

Watkins needs more targets. Yeah, our opponents are trying their best to take him away. I get that. But is Watkins a #1 or not? #1 WR's are expected to make plays more frequently despite drawing coverage, aren't they? We paid dearly to acquire Watkins. Use him more, dammit!

I applaud the use of Gurley in the passing game this season. He is now a potent multi threat weapon in this McVay O. Keep it up! Heck, maybe even use him a bit more as a receiving threat. He's a nightmare to tackle in the open field.

Sooooo...

Where will all these added snaps and targets come from?

They will come from some combo of Woods, Tavon, and Higbee, of course. Better and more deserving players waiting in the wings require it. That's life in the NFL meritocracy.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure McVay is as eager for our advice as Snead and Wade Phillips are. And I'm including myself in the collective "our". We fans always know best just ask us we'll tell anybody who'll listen (y)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree on all except Austin.

I'd reduce the touches he gets... he's just not progressing.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Without getting to your specific points, I have much more confidence in the present staff to figure these things out and act on them than I have had in any offensive staff we've had for a very long time.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Everett is starting in the 2 TE sets. Don't give up on Woods too soon. Austin should get more chances. Goff needs more time to learn. Watkins was covered by one of the best corners in the NFL. Optimistic that things will get better.

fearsomefour

Legend
There is more to learning to play NFL WR than just running and being athletic.
Reading the D, making adjustments based on coverage and blitzes etc.
One of the tougher learns coming from college in terms of positions.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And no doubt unneeded advice, at that. But, like many others, I just want to get this off my chest, I guess.

But I would really like to see the following:

Accelerate the insertion of Reynolds into the starting lineup. Not necessarily 100% of the time, but much more than so far. Reynolds is a future star, and it wouldn't hurt Woods to learn a little lesson in the importance of keeping his poise during a game, either. Don't get me wrong. I like Woods. A very solid and dependable Goff target, normally. But I see stardom in Reynolds' future, and I'd prefer that that future be sooner rather than later.

What more does Everett have to do to earn a starting position? No disrespect to Higbee, but c'mon... Everett is another budding star and deserves more Goff targets. Use him more, cause he's certainly earned the targets. He's gonna be a terror.

Kupp is a great weapon and a reliable Goff target. But it seems now to the point that Goff has swung too much to targeting Kupp. Washington held a clinic on knocking Kupp off his timed routes, btw. Hopefully, the Rams can counter that to their advantage. Washington coaches cleverly turned a perceived Ram advantage into a bit of an exposed weakness. Can our coaches use that to their advantage?

Watkins needs more targets. Yeah, our opponents are trying their best to take him away. I get that. But is Watkins a #1 or not? #1 WR's are expected to make plays more frequently despite drawing coverage, aren't they? We paid dearly to acquire Watkins. Use him more, dammit!

I applaud the use of Gurley in the passing game this season. He is now a potent multi threat weapon in this McVay O. Keep it up! Heck, maybe even use him a bit more as a receiving threat. He's a nightmare to tackle in the open field.

Sooooo...

Where will all these added snaps and targets come from?

They will come from some combo of Woods, Tavon, and Higbee, of course. Better and more deserving players waiting in the wings require it. That's life in the NFL meritocracy.
Some really good points! I think Woods should be Benched for a game after his poor performance against the 'Skins, He cost us dearly after Hekker's great pass play!!
In regards to Watkins, your spot on! In two games 7 catches in 7 Targets for 83 yards!! Get him the Ball!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm sure McVay is as eager for our advice as Snead and Wade Phillips are. And I'm including myself in the collective "our". We fans always know best just ask us we'll tell anybody who'll listen (y)
I get the feeling they, the Rams FO, does pay attention to ROD. Last week some of us "Bitched" about them not have a Mic on the reporters, during the Presser's, so we could hear the Questions. This week, sure enough, they have a Mic on them and I can hear the Questions!!(y);):D JMHO:LOL:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Obviously you have a 84 inch screen...Your observations are spot on 43!
But I see stardom in Reynolds' future, and I'd prefer that that future be sooner rather than later.
I mean, who doesn't? Never understood the Woods hype...And I'm an SC guy that likes Woods...He's an ok receiver....and no...not better than Britt.

If Kupp can lead the team in targets, Reynolds can get on the field....Hell, I'm wondering what are we gonna do with Mike Thomas when he returns?

Another no brainer....Lets get the youth movement in full swing...I still don't know what Higbee does on most plays...chip the DE? Run the seam?

Again...this is strictly offensive scheme....planning...but, I too would like the majority of the pass plays to include Watkins...don't care that he just got here...Watkins and Gurley...with a lil Kupp and Everett sprinkled in...then some Higbee and Woods...I don't know where Tavon fits in with all this.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Reynolds is a future star

I agree with most of what you wrote, however starting with the quote above we don't know what Reynolds will be. The fact he couldn't press for more time yet means he hasn't shown enough to indicate future stardom, as opposed to Kupp who won the snaps he is getting. So yeah he could be a star someday, but I think for right now just working him in for more snaps is the key. He had 2 yesterday. I would give him some from Tavon, and some more from Woods, no doubt, but it would be incremental week to week and see how much he can handle.

Second thing is saying Watkins needs more targets. This is the same thinking many of us were guilty of before with Tavon, myself included, where we felt like he wasn't gameplanned in and utilized appropriately. But yesterday Watkins got smothered by Norman, dude straight up lost a lot of snaps vs him in coverage just like we saw with Woods vs Breeland. Forcing the ball to him wouldn't have necessarily gained us anything meaningful.

So the above said the reason I am excited about this offense is because McVay's gonna do the opposite. He's going to have his QB throwing to the guys who are open and spreading it around, and that's a far, far better way to put up a passing game that teams will have a hard time stopping. Get that #3 WR target involved, and the TEs, by all means, since Kupp and Everett are already making their presence felt in this league.

Ram65

Legend
Accelerate the insertion of Reynolds into the starting lineup

It's only been two games. Reynolds missed a lot of camp too. He is not known for getting of the line quickly either. His time will come but, right now I have think Woods is a better route runner for Goff.

What more does Everett have to do to earn a starting position?

I said it from the beginning that they have to get him involved. Figure out some more plays for him. He made a nice block in blitz pickup. I feel better with him lining up outside than Higs.

Watkins needs more targets

Don't know why but I think they could be double teaming him.

I think he needs the ball a little more.

I don't get to see the entire field so I'm don't know what Goff sees. Don't know who is getting open. That makes it hard to know what/who the problems are.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Don't know why but I think they could be double teaming him.

Norman held him a lot yesterday, as did Breeland with Woods and particularly late in the critical series. And of course Boger's crew are more than willing to overlook that stuff as long as it isn't the Rams' DBs.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Watkins and Woods is the reason why Goff keeps finding Kupp, Everett, Higbee, and Gurley. They're doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing.

You take either out of the game, and you'll see that coverage shift.

Week 1 they focused on Watkins.. We hurt them with Woods and Kupp.

Last week they focused on Watkins and Woods and chipped Kupp a lot. It helped that the field was in poor condition.

Eventually though they're going to focus more on Woods and Kupp and that's when we hurt them with Watkins.