Some Tweets After Rams Rookies First Orientation "Practice"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Sll
Claiborne, as I've mentioned in his thread, utterly shut down his side of the field against Baylor, who had one of the highest rated passing offenses in the game. He was widely regarded as at least a third day draft pick. He may not have the measurables, but he has the talent for absolute sure.

I'm looking purely at potential for Ferguson. ASPB was a running offense, and he didn't get a lot of opportunities. But guys like him don't come around often. And he has experience playing special teams. Even if he doesn't make it on the roster, they're not exactly going to let a guy with his potential slip away. The wide receivers from Givens down are no guarantee to make this roster, and yes, that includes Sasser.

Any time a linebacker gets five picks, over 100 tackles, flashes 4.5 speed at 6'3", 240 lbs., and gets All-America consideration, you have to take notice, no matter what school he's at. I'm not saying that Malone's going to play for sure, but I'm saying that he has a chance to be a special teams demon. Hager will likely win the spot as the fifth linebacker, but he's still a seventh round pick.

Longacre has incredible career stats and was the Defensive Player of the Year and a unanimous All-American. And with three defensive ends probably moving on after this year, a defensive end like him has a good chance to stick on the practice squad.

And you know as well as I do that undrafted free agents who are completely unheralded (Quinton Pointer, for example) can come out of nowhere to make a team. You know that not even draft picks are guarantees (as seen by four of our draft picks last year in Gilbert, Van Dyk, Bryant, and Sam and Aaron Brown in 2012.) You know just how much rosters turn over even in the course of one year. That doesn't even include extenuating circumstances (suspensions, trades, surprise releases, etc.).

That's why I see some of these guys making the roster. Position versatility, production on the field, potential, all of it matters.
Fair enough. But I am not a big fan of the "measurables" guys. In 2013 there was another big (6'4) fast (4.4) guy in camp by the name of Raymond Radway. Everyone was banging the drum over him. Problem was. He had no hands. Couldn't run a route with a road map.

Coming from ASPB puts Ferguson at a huge disadvantage IMO.

Limey

Rookie
You know that not even draft picks are guarantees (as seen by four of our draft picks last year in Gilbert, Van Dyk, Bryant, and Sam and Aaron Brown in 2012.)

I could be wrong, but I think Bryant is still on the roster and missed last season due to injury.

I agree with CoachO that the roster looks much stronger now, so much more difficult for UDFAs to crack, but hope you are right about some of these guys- it would make it even stronger if they are better. My guess is that they mostly make the PS.

…..

Legend
With all due respect, the days of hoping and expecting to find starters out of the UDFA group, IMO, are gone. This roster has finally gotten to the point where they don't have to fill in an abundance of holes with these types. Depth players, sure, Special Teams contributors, okay. But if they are pressed into starting any of this group, that won't be a good sign at this point.

I agree. Startrs for sure, but even depth players. After I posted that in my opinion Mo Alexander was most vulnerable, I went through the roster and felt sorry for all the UDFA's. They are really going to have to be special unseat someone. I see some opportunity at linebacker as well.

It seems the Rams, after years of waiting, finally have a roster that is tough to crack.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
An UDFA has a harder time making a good roster than a bad roster and the Rams have a better roster now than they have in years past.

Still, an UDFA will always get a shot here and if they can play than they will play. Draft slot doesn't seem to mean much to these guys. But measurables only gets you the invite, you have to show in on the field early and often to stick around.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Furguson is intreaguing, but so was Fendi Onobun. That dudes pro day tape was incredible. Dude just never looked the same in pads...

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
There's always a shot for these Udfas. Ethan Westbrooks was an udfa last year when we were 8 deep (clearly!) on the DL, beat out media darling and hometown favorite Michael Sam, for all intents and purposes beat out Alex Carrington and cracked the 53. He was a preseason PFF all star. And he took 155 snaps in 2014 (thanks to the Chris Long injury).

If Westbrooks managed to crack the 53 with as deep as our DL was last year, nobody at the bottom of our depth chart is safe.

Similar cases could be made for Watts and Cunningham who've beaten out Pead and Stacey, and McLeod who is holding off Joyner and Barron.

Limey

Rookie
One thing that struck me while reading up on some of the new UDFAs is that while Fisher has got a reputation for taking a chance on players with red flags (JJ, Tree, Britt etc) he has also brought in a lot of smart, good character guys (Joyner, Jones, Davis etc). Havenstein and Mannion sound like they might fit into this bracket as well. He also brought in a good number of driven, strong competitor types. I read last year that Christian Bryant was described as the "heart and sole" of the Ohio State defence. Bryce Hagar sounds like another of these type of guys, and like I posted on another thread, Cameron Lynch was a team captain and the "Team MVP" at Syracuse. I find these sorts of player much easier to root for than guys like Dunbar who failed drug tests.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
There's always a shot for these Udfas. Ethan Westbrooks was an udfa last year when we were 8 deep (clearly!) on the DL, beat out media darling and hometown favorite Michael Sam, for all intents and purposes beat out Alex Carrington and cracked the 53. He was a preseason PFF all star. And he took 155 snaps in 2014 (thanks to the Chris Long injury).

If Westbrooks managed to crack the 53 with as deep as our DL was last year, nobody at the bottom of our depth chart is safe.

Similar cases could be made for Watts and Cunningham who've beaten out Pead and Stacey, and McLeod who is holding off Joyner and Barron.
I understand the premise of your comments, but as I mentioned in a previous post, things were vastly different when the likes of McLeod and Cunningham were winning jobs on this team. And with all due respect to Trey Watts, he didn't beat out anyone. If Pead hadn't blown out his knee, there is no reason to think he wouldnt have made the roster. He was actually having a very good preseason.

That being said, I do agree that circumstances, such as injuries, can change the climate, and give someone a chance when otherwise it wouldnt be there. (see Austin Davis as exhibit A)

…..

Legend
One thing that struck me while reading up on some of the new UDFAs is that while Fisher has got a reputation for taking a chance on players with red flags (JJ, Tree, Britt etc) he has also brought in a lot of smart, good character guys (Joyner, Jones, Davis etc). Havenstein and Mannion sound like they might fit into this bracket as well. He also brought in a good number of driven, strong competitor types. I read last year that Christian Bryant was described as the "heart and sole" of the Ohio State defence. Bryce Hagar sounds like another of these type of guys, and like I posted on another thread, Cameron Lynch was a team captain and the "Team MVP" at Syracuse. I find these sorts of player much easier to root for than guys like Dunbar who failed drug tests.

Yup...team cpts. I suppose you get alot of team captains as the best players, therefore most likely to get drafted or signed....but I noticed repeatedly that the players we are bringing in have "Team Captain" on their resumes.