Some Tweets After Rams Rookies First Orientation "Practice"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Myles Simmons @MylesASimmons

Was good to see men in jerseys on the field again, though. With all the rain, Rams were indoors but got their work in.

Rookies haven’t even met the veteran players yet—they got in after vets were finished for the week. So there’s not *that* much to go on.

Nine draftees + 15 UDFAs + 2 tryout players were all in attendance and on the field. As is to be expected, Gurley did not participate much.

Gurley did do some portions of the walk thru activities, but otherwise said he was taking mental reps—which are important.

Gurley also reiterated that he’s got no set timetable. Wants to be back ASAP, but letting the Drs & trainers handle the schedule.

Jim Thomas @jthom1

Twenty-six players at Rams rookie workout which just concluded. No. 10 overall pick, RB Todd Gurley (knee), watched but did not participate

Also, WR Bud Sasser of Mizzou didn't participate, because he said he's waiting on the mandatory physical results.

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

Rams just wrapped up first day of rookie orientation. Only RB Todd Gurley and WR Bud Sasser did not participate.

WR Bud Sasser still awaiting results of his physical.

As you'd expect for a player coming off injury, Todd Gurley said he is using this time to take mental reps and learn plays.

Rams rookies worked inside because of rain. 24 players on the roster, 22 of them participated.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'm curious to see Isiah Furguson. 6'6 with a 4.47 40. It'd be nice if the rams can get a starter out of the UDFAs

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm curious to see Isiah Furguson. 6'6 with a 4.47 40. It'd be nice if the rams can get a starter out of the UDFAs
With all due respect, the days of hoping and expecting to find starters out of the UDFA group, IMO, are gone. This roster has finally gotten to the point where they don't have to fill in an abundance of holes with these types. Depth players, sure, Special Teams contributors, okay. But if they are pressed into starting any of this group, that won't be a good sign at this point.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With all due respect, the days of hoping and expecting to find starters out of the UDFA group, IMO, are gone. This roster has finally gotten to the point where they don't have to fill in an abundance of holes with these types. Depth players, sure, Special Teams contributors, okay. But if they are pressed into starting any of this group, that won't be a good sign at this point.

I agree.

But, how many per year is possible? 0? 1? 2?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agree.

But, how many per year is possible? 0? 1? 2?
starters? or just making the roster at this point?

I would venture to say the guys who have the best chance are the defensive backs. If one of the CBs is better than Roberson showed to be last year. Or has McGee has fallen out of favor? Is one of the LBs gonna show enough to make Dunbar unnecessary? Can the Safeties push Cody Davis or Mo Alexander? Not sure.

Offensively, not sure many of them will have any real shot. Who knows?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I hope everything is okay with Sasser I hope they did not find something.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I concur very interested to see young man because of the measurables and speed, however, you still have to catch the football regardless of how wide open you are.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
starters? or just making the roster at this point?

Roster.

I'm following your logic, but curious what an established team can yield from the UDFA ranks.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I concur very interested to see young man because of the measurables and speed, however, you still have to catch the football regardless of how wide open you are.

He does, and the fact that he's played special teams at JC helps his cause.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Me 1 maybe 2.

Definitely two (LTP and Claiborne). Possibly three (Malone as a special teams demon). Probably at least a few more on the practice squad (I'm guessing Longacre and Ferguson.)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Definitely two (LTP and Claiborne). Possibly three (Malone as a special teams demon). Probably at least a few more on the practice squad (I'm guessing Longacre and Ferguson.)

Who you cut?

I don't see that many.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Who you cut?

I don't see that many.

Claiborne takes Davis' job, since he can play every position in the secondary.

LTP takes the open 4th slot for defensive tackle.

As for the linebackers, aside from Bates, they aren't really much to write home about. Malone, if he's productive enough, could possibly beat out Hager, but nothing's guaranteed.

And there's always some UDFA who makes the team despite what everyone thinks initially (i.e., McLeod, Bates, Westbrooks).

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I am being absolutely sincere with my question here, not trying to stir it up..... But makes you think that these guys went undrafted if they are so likely to stick?

With the exception of Trinca-Pasat, everyone of the other guys you mention are all from small schools. Ferguson has the measurables, I get it, but what has he shown is his career to make you think he will be anything more than big and fast?

Obviously, at first glance, this group looks like a bunch of small school guys who are camp bodies. Until I see otherwise once camp starts, I just don't see them having a chanceto be an upgrade over the guys already under contract.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

As for the linebackers, aside from Bates, they aren't really much to write home about. Malone, if he's productive enough, could possibly beat out Hager, but nothing's guaranteed.

And there's always some UDFA who makes the team despite what everyone thinks initially (i.e., McLeod, Bates, Westbrooks).

Definitely can see Cody Davis and Chase Reynolds spots as contentious, but I think this is a tough roster for UDFA to make going forward. I do.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

When guys like McLeod, Bates et al were making this roster things were drastically different than now.

Not sure how being able to play all 4 positions will be a determining factor in terms of separating him from someone who has shown the ability to be a very good ST player and who has been here going on his 3rd year. If they would ever be forced to use Claiborne at any of defensive spots, they would be in serious trouble. He would be no better than 5th at any of the positions on the depth chart.

IF Malone is truly as listed at 6'2 and 260, I dont see how that translates into much more than a depth guy at LB,,, Where does he fit on ST?

Assuming they go with 5 or 6 LBs again this year, you have Laurinaitis, Ayers, Ogletree, Dunbar and Bates pretty much as locks to be here. Unless this guy who played at Bacome is an upgrade over Toomer, McFadden, and Hager thenm yeah, maybe. But i just don't see it.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I am being absolutely sincere with my question here, not trying to stir it up..... But makes you think that these guys went undrafted if they are so likely to stick?

With the exception of Trinca-Pasat, everyone of the other guys you mention are all from small schools. Ferguson has the measurables, I get it, but what has he shown is his career to make you think he will be anything more than big and fast?

Obviously, at first glance, this group looks like a bunch of small school guys who are camp bodies. Until I see otherwise once camp starts, I just don't see them having a chanceto be an upgrade over the guys already under contract.

Claiborne, as I've mentioned in his thread, utterly shut down his side of the field against Baylor, who had one of the highest rated passing offenses in the game. He was widely regarded as at least a third day draft pick. He may not have the measurables, but he has the talent for absolute sure.

I'm looking purely at potential for Ferguson. ASPB was a running offense, and he didn't get a lot of opportunities. But guys like him don't come around often. And he has experience playing special teams. Even if he doesn't make it on the roster, they're not exactly going to let a guy with his potential slip away. The wide receivers from Givens down are no guarantee to make this roster, and yes, that includes Sasser.

Any time a linebacker gets five picks, over 100 tackles, flashes 4.5 speed at 6'3", 240 lbs., and gets All-America consideration, you have to take notice, no matter what school he's at. I'm not saying that Malone's going to play for sure, but I'm saying that he has a chance to be a special teams demon. Hager will likely win the spot as the fifth linebacker, but he's still a seventh round pick.

Longacre has incredible career stats and was the Defensive Player of the Year and a unanimous All-American. And with three defensive ends probably moving on after this year, a defensive end like him has a good chance to stick on the practice squad.

And you know as well as I do that undrafted free agents who are completely unheralded (Quinton Pointer, for example) can come out of nowhere to make a team. You know that not even draft picks are guarantees (as seen by four of our draft picks last year in Gilbert, Van Dyk, Bryant, and Sam and Aaron Brown in 2012.) You know just how much rosters turn over even in the course of one year. That doesn't even include extenuating circumstances (suspensions, trades, surprise releases, etc.).

That's why I see some of these guys making the roster. Position versatility, production on the field, potential, all of it matters.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Are you sure about this size and speed, the first report I saw had him at 6ft 4in. and a 40 of 4.57 with a vert. of 40!