Some thoughts from Rams Camp (Sat 7/26)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
First off, some of you may notice some differences between one report and another and it is entirely possible that my view would seem contrary to what others have written.
Hats off to all the guys who give in-depth analysis from camp practices. While you can get fairly close to the action (like "The Hill Drill"), there are no "replays", no overhead camera angles, no amplification of sound.
Nobody can catch it all.

Stedman Bailey gets my first comment because he was IMHO the most impressive.
Not having him through the first 4 weeks really is a bummer. He can really play NFL WR. And his play to open the 11 on 11 with a deep TD after a great double move was a thing of beauty.

Chris Givens looks about the same as ever... the problem for him is that the players around him seem to have improved enough to more noticeably expose him for what he is: serviceable deep threat and a 4th or 5th WR.

Kenny Britt has serious charisma. Seeing and hearing him as he walks around his new team, you would think this is a guy with multiple probowls and a shiny, big ring. Nobody has told him that a habitual NFL screw-up on a last chance deal cant be a leader... or he just doesn't care. Nor do I. Bringing the Rams WR corps back to respectability is a dirty job but somebody has got to do it. Britt looks up to the job.

Bennie Cunningham is a friickin' meatball of a dude. He was well built as a rookie, but he looks absolutely ripped.

Jake Long pushed a guy up a hill about 5 feet away from me. He didn't dominate this drill and I seriously question this drills risk vs. reward factor for a guy coming off an injury like Long77. That said, it was awesome being that close to the action and I have to believe he is right on schedule to play in preseason.

Greg Robinsons massive size would turn heads in any setting. If there was one place where he might go less noticed, its with the Rams O-Line. Standing next to Long and Saffold, he blends right in. But he is a great big man.

The real "Johnny Football" wears number 6 for the Rams. Just wanted to remind everyone.

I don't know what Sam Bradford looked like on Fri, but on Sat he pretty much looked like Sam from last summers camp. He really does stand way out at the practice events IMO. He has looked LIGHT YEARS better than any other QB at camp since being drafted.

Trumaine Johnson came down hard after a jump ball and immediately RAN to players "sideline" were he was clearly sore. He never left the field, but I didn't see him return to any drills.

The two guys I really liked coming out this year for DBs were EJ Gaines and LaMarcus Joyner. Yesterday, neither disappointed. The skills they showed that made them good in college were on display here too.

The Defensive End we drafted in the 7th (whats his name? Sam Michael?) looked decent. He might be a weight room underachiever, but he looks like he knows how to play football IMO.

Hope that helps.

SierraRam

Recreational User
"The real "Johnny Football" wears number 6 for the Rams. Just wanted to remind everyone.":LOL:

Nice report. Thanks!
images

The real "Johnny Football" wears number 6 for the Rams. Just wanted to remind everyone.

Johnny Puntball as I am far too embarrassed to call him.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When Johnny Manziel has set an NFL record, we can talk about his nickname.
Since Hekker HAS set a record, using his foot, the name should go to him.

Personally, for Manziel, I like "Johnny Noseball"...

tonyl711

Starter
losing Bailey for 4 games really hurts, I fully expect him to be a starter on this team, the kid has game. hopefully Fisher can keep Britt in line, I believe he will play with an attitude, like he has something to prove.
gotta like a RB combo of Stacey, Cunningham and Mason, used properly they will wear Defenses down while staying fresh themselves.
im sure the trainers are comfortable enough in JLs recovery that they let him do those drills, cant see them pushing him like that if he wasn't ready for it.
the real Johnny football retired many years ago, Mr Unitas.
Sam just needs to stay healthy and IMO this will be the year he shows why he was a #1 pick.

FRO

Legend
When Johnny Manziel has set an NFL record, we can talk about his nickname.
Since Hekker HAS set a record, using his foot, the name should go to him.

Personally, for Manziel, I like "Johnny Noseball"...
Johnny 8-ball

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great report here. Some thoughts...I think in 2014, it's good for the leaders to have a few scars, helps them relate to the masses. Perfect guy for the top 4-5 wrs here. When I saw Bailey running down on ST making plays in 2013, after the college career he had, made me think, "we might have something here". I didn't know he was that tough. I'm hoping Givens can improve, but with the # of snaps he had, I'm not sure he hasn't reached his ceiling as well. He's gotta be able to catch the dig routes. He may be a slot wr....Love Benny and how he works his body. If you haven't seen his work out video check it out. He was already built like a greek god, now he has NFL resources. Powerful player. Great find by the Snisher. One thing about camp like this is, as a lot of you youngsters know, they have done/competed/participated in 7 on 7 since what, grade school, these offensive receivers. Getting open is not that hard. In pads, with the more physical NFL game is another story. It'll look a lil different, just like games. Some of these guys will look, well rough around the edges, and some will shine....Leads me to the DB's, my favorite topic....Gaines-Joyner-Roberson-McGee whoo, should be a battle. I'm already doubting Reid, who I initially liked. Maybe he can turn the tide and gets an opportunity. Don't know. Time waits for no man.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Why are you doubting Reid- something he did (or didn't do), or the competition?

JamRam

UDFA
I met Britt @ BWW on Draft Night; he was very personable & very approachable. I welcomed him to STL & to the Rams; I can tell you he is very excited to be here. As for me - I think he is going to perform very well.

Attachments

• IMGP5835.JPG
    IMGP5835.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 120

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I met Britt @ BWW on Draft Night; he was very personable & very approachable. I welcomed him to STL & to the Rams; I can tell you he is very excited to be here. As for me - I think he is going to perform very well.
Welcome jamram

PhxRam

First off, some of you may notice some differences between one report and another and it is entirely possible that my view would seem contrary to what others have written.
Hats off to all the guys who give in-depth analysis from camp practices. While you can get fairly close to the action (like "The Hill Drill"), there are no "replays", no overhead camera angles, no amplification of sound.
Nobody can catch it all.

Stedman Bailey gets my first comment because he was IMHO the most impressive.
Not having him through the first 4 weeks really is a bummer. He can really play NFL WR. And his play to open the 11 on 11 with a deep TD after a great double move was a thing of beauty.

Chris Givens looks about the same as ever... the problem for him is that the players around him seem to have improved enough to more noticeably expose him for what he is: serviceable deep threat and a 4th or 5th WR.

Kenny Britt has serious charisma. Seeing and hearing him as he walks around his new team, you would think this is a guy with multiple probowls and a shiny, big ring. Nobody has told him that a habitual NFL screw-up on a last chance deal cant be a leader... or he just doesn't care. Nor do I. Bringing the Rams WR corps back to respectability is a dirty job but somebody has got to do it. Britt looks up to the job.

Bennie Cunningham is a friickin' meatball of a dude. He was well built as a rookie, but he looks absolutely ripped.

Jake Long pushed a guy up a hill about 5 feet away from me. He didn't dominate this drill and I seriously question this drills risk vs. reward factor for a guy coming off an injury like Long77. That said, it was awesome being that close to the action and I have to believe he is right on schedule to play in preseason.

Greg Robinsons massive size would turn heads in any setting. If there was one place where he might go less noticed, its with the Rams O-Line. Standing next to Long and Saffold, he blends right in. But he is a great big man.

I don't know what Sam Bradford looked like on Fri, but on Sat he pretty much looked like Sam from last summers camp. He really does stand way out at the practice events IMO. He has looked LIGHT YEARS better than any other QB at camp since being drafted.

Trumaine Johnson came down hard after a jump ball and immediately RAN to players "sideline" were he was clearly sore. He never left the field, but I didn't see him return to any drills.

The two guys I really liked coming out this year for DBs were EJ Gaines and LaMarcus Joyner. Yesterday, neither disappointed. The skills they showed that made them good in college were on display here too.

The Defensive End we drafted in the 7th (whats his name? Sam Michael?) looked decent. He might be a weight room underachiever, but he looks like he knows how to play football IMO.

Hope that helps.

great read dude. Thanks for the report.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Why are you doubting Reid- something he did (or didn't do), or the competition?

Lil bit the comp, plus the coaches aren't playing him at a deep position battle, with 2 or 3 returning players.....I'll reserve judgment until the first preseason game, but it's never a good sign staying on the bench and you haven't played in a while..I think they already have the rotation made up in there minds....But, I really like Reid, but as a returner....he needs to work on his coverage.