Some things I'd like to see

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
There are not quick fixes with the offense. Bringing one guy up from the practice squad (or two or whatever) or cutting one guy is not going to have an effect. The problem is execution and a mix of other things. In Philly they had a very productive offense start slowly....the reasons? turnover in personal. Several new RBs, new Oline pieces a new QB. It can take time. They are coming out of the duldrums now. The Rams O has shown signs of life, in a big way, in the running game the last couple of weeks. That should help get the other aspects going.
It is easy to single out Cook because of his style of play, he seems like he is dogging it, is he really? I seriously doubt that. He, like most guys, has physical limitations. Of the 7 players starting on the O line, QB and RB, 5 are different from last year and a new OC. It can take some time. It is easy to get irritated with Cook, but, does anyone really believe the O starts cooking (no pun intended) and putting up 30 points a game because Cunningham gets some reps at TE?
Yesterdays game saw some more mixed bag from the O line. Robinson had some whiffs pass blocking (as did Brown and Reynolds) but also made some nice plays in the running game (as did Barnes, Reynolds and Havenstein). It is still progressing.
I think the biggest thing for this team is to get ahead. It changes play calling on both sides of the ball. The Arizona game was a good example of this. I am looking forward to quick starts vs Cleveland and SF in the next couple of games. To get ahead early and be able to attack on D and control the clock on O and those are wins.
The biggest question, big picture in my opinion, going forward is not about Cook or a specific WR, it is whether Robinson is really a LT or not.

Athos

Legend
I'd personally go 2 back sets all game long. Losing a WR won't mean a damn thing with how they're performing.

Mix and match our RBs and get fucking creative. Best and only way to immediately improve the O imo.

Face it, Gurley and Tavon in the field all game long will scare teams.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I would like to see Bradley Marquez at WR. I know he will block, and liked the way he caught the ball in preseason. I know Fisher is very high on Marquez and his ST work, kid just gets it. Definately more effort than Cook.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Bring back the wildcat.

Ok - maybe that's going a bit far

They fed Gurley - which was good. They forgot to involve TA as much. Those two need the ball early and often.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Interesting thread....I'd like to see some back to back to back WINS....oh specifics huh?...How about more Quick and Britt...like our best 2 wrs.....when Tavon does play, bring in a play be either the decoy or main target...don't waste him while he's out there...
I'd like to see Foles master the playbook...dude is really looking lost in the face of pressure...2 & a half seconds...maybe 3 if you scramble correctly...Foles needs to be more accurate...I'd also like more play action passes...
I'd like to see guys PROVE Cook is dogging it...
There's some group think mentality on here sometimes but I disagree that it's in play with Cook. The man is criticized because it's his job to catch passes and block people and he rarely does either. And it's noticeable by everyone. A man who quits on a crossing route that results in a pick 6 isn't really a victim of group think mentality IMO.
CGI already answered most of this....but in this game, how many passes did he drop? How often was he targeted?
Where does this belief of quitting on the route? I think, and only think most offenses "sit it down" stop routes in the face of zones....Pretty sure when Foles threw the pick, this is what happened....Probably caused due to the unfamiliarity with each other...Cook and Foles need to get on the same page...Force him the ball...10 targets a game...if we gonna lose anyway...

Besides; in that situation, perhaps his role was to stop in that zone?

That's my point; we just don't know and IMO that pick 6 is 100% on Foles outside the lack of protection.
Exactly..

I'd like for everyone to stop acting like every QB has a perfect pocket, with no pressure...Brady was getting harrassed the entire first half...was he complaining? Crying about his LT?

People really need to watch what G-Rob does for 60+ snaps...he may have communication issues...but once he finds his man, no problems...Not like Reynolds, when in the game, passively blocks his man, and is pushed far enough in the backfield his feet trip up rbs...sorry Tre....I saw you were hungry....
More PA on first down...shorter routes...Britt & Quick on the field....offense is getting kinda...ummm...couple more weeks, this will be a problem...
More man to man coverage...
Joyner step his game up even more...Tru to step his game up even more...McLeod to step his game up....G-Rob...step your game up...Cook...man, Cook...If Cook's not wide open, can he ever make a contested catch? Cook, step your game UP!!!

Foles....the season is in YOUR HANDS! Step your game up....Or let Mannion sit on the pot...

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I would like to see Bradley Marquez at WR. I know he will block, and liked the way he caught the ball in preseason. I know Fisher is very high on Marquez and his ST work, kid just gets it. Definately more effort than Cook.
I really like this idea and the guy has good hands too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The group-think mentality on this board with Cook is an interesting dynamic we have here.

I see a lot of room for improvement in his game, but if the guy leaves his shirt untucked he's criticized.

I think the issue with Cook is that he is paid to be more. He looks like he should be more....but so far we have ended up with less. That is a tough sell to any fanbase.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Me, I honesty would like to see Saffold, once he's healthy back, at left tackle and move G-Rob inside. I know it's only his second year and he's still learning how to pass block, but it seems he's has more failures than success. I really don't think he plays well in space and needs to be playing at a guard position. There were a couple times in yesterday's game where he locked onto his guy, rather than pass him down to Brown leaving the edge unprotected with Matthews looping around and coming in clean. He looks like his feet are in cement when it comes to pass pro. I love the guy and I think he could be a great mauling guard, but not a left tackle.

May be a Tony Mandarich type. Massive potential with all the physical skills who busts at OT, but people forget that Tony Mandarich had pretty decent career with the Colts when he moved inside to OG. Did he live up to his draft position? No. But after that first contract, you don't care about that. Once you're at the final year of the rookie contract, you need to focus on production solely. Any development at that point can only be "topping off".

Unless GRob truly fires out of the bye playing with his hair on fire, I hope they get an LOT or do something because GRob can play. I just don't think he's up to being an LOT at the pro level.

And this is a hard lesson for the Snisher... getting Auburn or SEC skill guys who run from the spread who only have to learn 8 basic plays... um...yeah. They're NOT Pro ready. We already saw the difference in who they went after this draft... all the guys had 40+ starts and were in pro style offenses.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Simply put, Jared Cook is a WR playing TE. And they need to use him more as the former, IMO.

Given the time the defense stays on the field due to the bend but don't break nature of the defense, I'd like to see the Rams get Louis Trinca-Pasat on the active roster and use him as a FB/DT role like that kid I saw playing on the Giants team last night. He'd probably be just as good lead blocker as they have, but would also help keep the DLine fresher.

I'd also like to see the RBs get more involved in the passing game. Why do they want to keep trying to force the ball to these unreliable TEs when the backs may have better hands and are better after the catch?

You beat me to it, Memphis.

Cook is a TE in name only.

Just as Chase Reynolds is a RB in name only.

So, what to do with a receiver that doesn't run good routes and catch passes that hit him in the hands?

Very simple...

Let him sit and watch someone else do it properly, that's what. However long it takes for the message to sink in. Nothing to lose anyway, is there?

Who cares if it hurts his damned feelings? Fisher has already put up with too much of Cook's crap, IMO.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yet he's the all time Rams leading receiver (yds) as a TE in a single season, back to back seasons.
I've seen this mentioned before regarding Cook.

I guess my retort would be... well, I'm not overly impressed with the leading receiver on a team that has ranked 22nd (2014) and 27th (2013) the past two years.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The group-think mentality on this board with Cook is an interesting dynamic we have here.

I see a lot of room for improvement in his game, but if the guy leaves his shirt untucked he's criticized.
You know i've defended the guy since he first arrived, but he's seriously underachieving at this point. He has the ability to get open, catch and run and has done very little of that when we need it.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I'm not convinced he would have been where that ball was thrown, if he didn't stop his route.

Besides; in that situation, perhaps his role was to stop in that zone?

That's my point; we just don't know and IMO that pick 6 is 100% on Foles outside the lack of protection.

http://www.packers.com/media-center...n_for_TD/31839efe-8beb-49ec-9414-b37512b4803b

To your point, the pick-6 was the play when Saffold was injured. If you watch it again, the Packer's Datone Jones (#95) had barely started his rush and Saffold just crumbled giving Jones a free run at Foles. I don't even think Jones was supposed to get through, that he was just supposed to tie up Saffold and Havenstein so the LB behind him (Mike Neal #96) could loop inside him.

That said, Saffold was plain awful the entire quarter (as were Robinson and Brown). I've slo-mo'd the first quarter OL play, capturing some snipets with intention to post them (e.g. Mathews spearing Foles)... but then I get to the next play and it's just as bad. It's not until the Saffold injury that anything starts going well. They scored the TD on the next drive.

It's a good thing this is the bye week. Cignetti and Boudreau need to do some serious soul searching and come up with some schemes that will either work, or worst case won't get Foles killed. Or burn out Gurley.