Some things I noticed in the game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Quick and Pettis, IMO, were had the 2 best games from the WRs today. Pettis continues to impress me with his athletic catches.

Pead didn't get a carry.

At some point during the game, Shelley Smith came in for Chris Williams at LG. I don't know if he finished the game there, but he was in for at least a snap.

Liked seeing Harkey in the backfield as a FB.

Jenkins and Tru played well. DL put up consistent pressure. Run D was solid as well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lesson said:
At some point during the game, Shelley Smith came in for Chris Williams at LG. I don't know if he finished the game there, but he was in for at least a snap.

Liked seeing Harkey in the backfield as a FB.

Jenkins and Tru played well. DL put up consistent pressure. Run D was solid as well.

Walton is adjusting. He let JJ and Tru play more press and play tighter to the LOS.

Agreed on Harkey.

I saw the same thing on Shelley Smith. Hopefully he does better than Williams at picking up the blitz.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I saw Williams go back out, maybe they are just trying to give him some reps. It never hurts. Smith busted his ass and I think played well in the pre season. I like seeing him get a chance

iced

if it was an i-form, a run play, or a run fake, for the most part cook wasnt in there...definitely not when it was a run

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
iced said:
if it was an i-form, a run play, or a run fake, for the most part cook wasnt in there...definitely not when it was a run

And when he was, they usually motioned him out wide or into the slot to draw a defender out of the box. I thought it was smart. Good job on that, Schotty.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
It was a great game - definitely started out shaky though. What I noticed most is we really lack creative playcalling with our TE's up the middle.
Cook catches a lot of outs, Kendricks does as well. For all the motion pre snap we have got to find better ways to use these guys.
The offensive line really kicked butt today. They opened some big holes four our RBs and pass protection was pretty good.

A55VA6

Legend
I just liked how the Rams went back with the kind of offense we ran last year. Works so much better with this team. Sam is so much more comfortable when we have a good run game and play action.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Our special teams are simply that, 'special'. :domg: There has to be something the coaching staff can do, it's reaching epic levels of absurd. There's no way an offense can find sustainable success starting from inside their own 20. A win is a win and I'm thrilled with that, but damn special teams is a major buzzkill.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Warner4Prez said:
Our special teams are simply that, 'special'. :domg: There has to be something the coaching staff can do, it's reaching epic levels of absurd. There's no way an offense can find sustainable success starting from inside their own 20. A win is a win and I'm thrilled with that, but damn special teams is a major buzzkill.

If I had the time, I'd analyze our STs compared to the rest of the NFL on coach's film. I feel like we're getting slighted by the refs. I think we have a rep and we're not getting away with some of the things other teams do. You could find an instance of holding or a borderline block in the back call on just about any return. Feels like the refs don't want to give us any BOTD. Not that we've earned it.

It sucks, though. Because that field position might end up making a huge difference for the offense...even if Austin doesn't take the punt back for a TD or 30+ yard return.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I'm going to try to just stay positive here as bad as I want to just rant and sigh, but ok...

Ogletree is an amazing athlete. The play he made on the Stewart strip bursting through the screen is a great example of what he brings to the table, and how special he can be.

Agree with Harkey too. His blocking continues to impress. He can play.

had

Rookie
Username said:
I'm going to try to just stay positive here as bad as I want to just rant and sigh, but ok...

Ogletree is an amazing athlete. The play he made on the Stewart strip bursting through the screen is a great example of what he brings to the table, and how special he can be.

Ogletree could be super special.

These Rams have guys on both sides of the ball who can make plays. They're all going to have to start making plays more often, more consistently.

I think as the season goes forward, it'll continue to be sloppy, I just don't see them cleaning it up. But if leaders on this team can make plays, enough plays, then I think they'll get in the black.

Maybe the analyzing of Bradford's career on a play-by-play basis could stop. Not that you're doing that.

Guys gotta make plays. Gotta be. That's what I'm looking for. Amid the sloppiness. Which will smooth out.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Warner4Prez said:

Thank you for wording this so thoughtfully. My explanation of what's going on with Special Teams would have been truly Special.

The continuous penalties on returns is IN- FUCKING -EXCUSABLE.

It's laughable to think that the Ram coaching staff has been unable to make even the SLIGHTEST improvement in this area after 5 fucking games of the same stupid shit over and fucking over. Are you fucking kidding me... No, this shit is really still happening.

I'm so angry about it that I may attempt to call-in to the Fisher Show and ask for a real answer to this bullshit. :evil:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry32 said:
Warner4Prez said:

If I had the time, I'd analyze our STs compared to the rest of the NFL on coach's film. I feel like we're getting slighted by the refs. I think we have a rep and we're not getting away with some of the things other teams do. You could find an instance of holding or a borderline block in the back call on just about any return. Feels like the refs don't want to give us any BOTD. Not that we've earned it.

It sucks, though. Because that field position might end up making a huge difference for the offense...even if Austin doesn't take the punt back for a TD or 30+ yard return.

man you hit the nail on the head. just as an example the return td by the browns on tnf had at a minimum 3 blocks in the back, no flags. it's sickening.

when will the boneheads on special teams realise they're not gonna get away with shit and stop holding and blocking in the back? it's not rocket science. boneheads.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Username said:

Hell yes he is........he is so fast getting to the ball carrier or to get in position to tackle. As he gets more experience and coaching he's going to be on a lot of highlight films.

When I watched a highlight film of his from college I was blown away at how fast he was compared to everyone else on the field. He was running down everyone all over the field.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
jrry32 said:
iced said:

And when he was, they usually motioned him out wide or into the slot to draw a defender out of the box. I thought it was smart. Good job on that, Schotty.

From another board. Observation on Walton, Fisher and Waufle

Here's CoachO...

While I wasn't sitting as close to the bench as you obviously were, I also noticed Fisher doing more "coaching" with the defense as they came off the field today than any other time since he's been here.

Including one very pronounced "conversation" with Mr.(s) Bates and Armstrong after the long Austin Punt Return was called back with the holding penalty on Bates.

Not that anyone is counting, but according to the radio broadcast, it was noted that they now have committed 33 TOTAL penalties, and SEVENTEEN of them have come on Special Teams. And if anyone is counting, Ray Ray Armstrong (you know, that folk hero, living legend) has committed FIVE of them.

He attended his first game this year and here are cogzilla's observations...

It ain't pretty...

My first game of the year today.

Crowd was really letting the home team have it in the beginning.Rough.

With my seats so close to the players I saw something very interesting. After a terrible series by the D, Waufle simply tore into them. F' this and F' that for about ten minutes. Walton was trying to do some 'coaching' and Waufle grabbed his line and pulled them off to the side like 'don't listen to that B.S.'

went on a tirade some more and saw Walton look over there and shake his head.

The fans were pumped and happy that someone was calling the team out.

Oh, and Jenkins has regressed terribly this year. Never turns around and often loses track of the ball and even worse, the guy he is covering.

They need to go back to whatever they were doing last year. Walton doesn't have 'it'

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that's the case, hopefully they pull the plug on the experiment sooner than later if it's not working.