Some Surprise Snap Counts on Defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/11/nfl-los-angeles-rams-snap-counts-week-1-raiders/2/
By: Cameron DaSilva | 18 minutes ago

Defense
rams-week-1-snap-counts-defense.png

It was much of the same on defense, though with a bit more of a rotation on the defensive line and at linebacker. Cory Littleton and the top four defensive backs all played 100 percent of the defensive snaps, while Nickell Robey-Coleman played 64 percent as the nickel corner.

Samson Ebukam led the way at outside linebacker with 57 snaps, but Matt Longacre wasn’t the starter many expected him to be. He played only 22 snaps, which was fewer than John Franklin-Myers (25) and Dominique Easley (32). Opposite Ebukam, it’ll likely be a committee approach at edge rusher.

Aaron Donald showed no ill effects from holding out, playing 89 percent of the snaps. Ndamukong Suh was close behind at 78 percent, followed by Michael Brockers at 65 percent. Ethan Westbrooks rotated in for 14 snaps, while Justin Lawler saw one rep.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/11/nfl-los-angeles-rams-snap-counts-week-1-raiders/2/
By: Cameron DaSilva | 18 minutes ago

Defense
rams-week-1-snap-counts-defense.png

It was much of the same on defense, though with a bit more of a rotation on the defensive line and at linebacker. Cory Littleton and the top four defensive backs all played 100 percent of the defensive snaps, while Nickell Robey-Coleman played 64 percent as the nickel corner.

Samson Ebukam led the way at outside linebacker with 57 snaps, but Matt Longacre wasn’t the starter many expected him to be. He played only 22 snaps, which was fewer than John Franklin-Myers (25) and Dominique Easley (32). Opposite Ebukam, it’ll likely be a committee approach at edge rusher.

Aaron Donald showed no ill effects from holding out, playing 89 percent of the snaps. Ndamukong Suh was close behind at 78 percent, followed by Michael Brockers at 65 percent. Ethan Westbrooks rotated in for 14 snaps, while Justin Lawler saw one rep.

No Shields????

…..

Legend
No surprise here.

I consider Easely the better player over Lonacre, but he's well liked on ROD and its not worth the debate for me to continue to bring it up.

Westbrooks having the least snaps among DE's is a little surprising.

I think both of the above players are great players.... as backups. I've never been confident in them as our starters and I don't buy into the mitigating argument that the strength of the interior will mask any shortcomings.

Having said all that....we won so I'm not dumping on anyone right now.

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I expected a committee approach off the edge. I thought Longacre would get more snaps but, it could be because he missed practice with the bicep injury. JFM got more snaps which was a little surprising. Easley has the most and he didn't practice much either. The biggest surprise was Westbrooks only getting 14 snaps. For a late arriving AD 66 snaps for 88% was amazing.

No Shields????

That's a surprise too. Could be saving him for coverage when they face teams with better and deeper WRs.

fearsomefour

Legend
No surprise here.

I consider Easely the better player over Lonacre, but he's well liked on ROD and its not worth the debate for me to continue to bring it up.

Westbrooks having the least snaps among DE's is a little surprising.

I think both of the above players are great players.... as backups. I've never been confident in them as our starters and I don't buy into the mitigating argument that the strength of the interior will mask any shortcomings.

Having said all that....we won so I'm not dumping on anyone right now.
Easely also played some snaps with his hand down....make sense for him to get snaps. Can play standing up or hand down comfortably and sets the edge well against the run.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
No Shields????

Would rather ease him in knowing his history with concussions. We'll probably feature him mainly in dime packages but I hope none of are star corners get injured to where he mans the #2 or #1 post.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think our D had as many receptions as their WRs

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
How about Justin Lawler?

Because of how hard he worked in Camp he earned a regular season snap.

And makes one tackle on one snap!
(And I believe it was a tackle for loss)

100% !

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
JFM's name will become more frequent the longer the season goes. Dude is going to be a steal.

Lawler making his name heard on one snap is awesome.

Barron will be the last piece to this awesome puzzle. We're stacked everywhere but still need his coverage skills.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Barron will be the last piece to this awesome puzzle.....still need his coverage skills.
Which has a lot to do with Cook looking so good for the Raiders.

I think he became the primary receiver whenever they saw little Robey-Coleman in there in the slot.

I think Barron will look good both in the zone and manning that part of the field if he can get healthy from his offseason surgery.

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Easely also played some snaps with his hand down....make sense for him to get snaps. Can play standing up or hand down comfortably and sets the edge well against the run.

I saw his hand in the dirt and was wonder how many time he did that. It was hard for me to tell how often they rushed from four down lineman sets.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
So everyone saw Marqui Christian playing 53% of the snaps??? Maybe ive missed something along the way but I didn't think he would see the field on defense without an injury. I haven't got to go back and look at who he was replacing while he was in there. Was he coming in for Ramik Wilson??

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
So everyone saw Marqui Christian playing 53% of the snaps??? Maybe ive missed something along the way but I didn't think he would see the field on defense without an injury. I haven't got to go back and look at who he was replacing while he was in there. Was he coming in for Ramik Wilson??
Raiders seemed to go 5 wide a lot. Christian is the 6th DB to come on in that situation.