Some speculation after the "Big 3" releases...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Okay, it's been a few days now, giving a little time to sort through a few things.

So here goes...

First assumption I'm making is that S&F have a plan. And alternative plans B and C, as well.
Second thing isn't even an assumption. Fisher is in his final contract year and knows he needs to win now.
Third thing is that it's likely that the Rams would like to make a big splash as they re enter the LA scene.
Fourth thing is that the Ram roster is not all that far away from playoff contention already.
Fifth thing is that they probably had enough cap space to sign most of their own FA's already, except for maybe one of their CB's.

But they chose to release the 3 players at this time, as well. Creating up to a reported $66 million in cap space.

So what does all of the above indicate? Could mean many things, but here's a few of my speculations that might make sense...

They not only want to resign both CB's, Barron, McLeod, and Hayes. They may have waaaaay bigger plans.

1) Maybe a blockbuster FA signing is the goal. Maybe a QB such as Bradford, Cousins, or ??? Would sure make their draft strategy a helluva lot simpler plus make a winning '16 season in LA a realistic goal. Or could be a blockbuster FA at another position such as WR?

2) Maybe a blockbuster trade, rather than a FA, is in the works at a position of need such as QB, WR, or TE? The money to pay such a player will certainly already now be there. A trade for picks and/or players perhaps. Let your imaginations run wild for just a minute. But think BIG names here.

3) An extension for Brockers might be tucked in there, as well. Would be nice to have that done and not hanging over everybody's head for a year.

4) Maybe it's more of a multi pronged FA acquisition plan. Maybe 3-4 FA's at positions of need rather than a single blockbuster QB acquisition. Top drawer but not elite players at WR, QB, TE, LB, or possibly C? Such a big infusion of talent could definitely turbocharge our anemic O.

Let me summarize a bit...

Highly motivated to win now HC.
New OC in Boras that has a whole offseason to put in his wrinkles.
New WR and passing game coordinator that sounds promising just hired.
A FO that badly wants to make a good impression in it's new home.
A trio of Demoff, Snead, and Fisher known for planning ahead in personnel matters.
A team with approx $66 million in available cap dollars now, far more than needed for a "business as usual" off season.

That's a very combustible mixture, fellas.

What's a fan to conclude? I'm concluding that the releases were just the first shoes to fall in a bold offseason strategy. Other shoes will fall as more bold moves occur. Emphasis BOLD.

I could be misreading all this, but I don't think so. The only question in my mind is now just WHICH bold moves will follow.

Better buckle up, y'all. This could be a verrrrry exciting offseason, indeed. It's already off to a big start. Lol.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think the plan all along has been to retain their own players. So, that being said, they don't need to spend all of that money this year. Plus they could keep a cushion for (like you said) signing a starting QB, or for a QB contract down the road. Hopefully a day will come where the Rams will have to commit to a GOOD quarterback and that day will take some cap flexibility.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I clicked on this thread from a few days ago and like three whole pages of posts disappeared. Wait a second....
200.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
2) Maybe a blockbuster trade, rather than a FA, is in the works at a position of need such as QB, WR, or TE? The money to pay such a player will certainly already now be there. A trade for picks and/or players perhaps. Let your imaginations run wild for just a minute. But think BIG names here.
I'm dreaming BIG. It's the offseason right?
Drew Brees(37), Phillip Rivers(34), Eli Manning(35). The arrow is pointing down for all of those teams. All 3 teams are picking before us at #15.
San Diego 3rd
NYG 10th
New Orleans 12th

The Chargers may be ready to draft their next franchise QB. They could use a buzz in that town with all of the relocation uncertainty. They could also use an extra 2nd round pick or two.

Psycho_X

Legend
I clicked on this thread from a few days ago and like three whole pages of posts disappeared. Wait a second....
200.gif

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Was confused.

I'm dreaming BIG. It's the offseason right?
Drew Brees(37), Phillip Rivers(34), Eli Manning(35). The arrow is pointing down for all of those teams. All 3 teams are picking before us at #15.
San Diego 3rd
NYG 10th
New Orleans 12th

The Chargers may be ready to draft their next franchise QB. They could use a buzz in that town with all of the relocation uncertainty. They could also use an extra 2nd round pick or two.

Phillip Rivers threatened to retire if the Chargers moved to LA because he didn't want to live there. Not sure being traded there would go over well. But he is the best out of that list. Brees is a little too old to rely on for multiple years and Manning I'm not sure we've got enough talent for him to play well.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Was confused.

Phillip Rivers threatened to demand a trade if the Chargers moved to LA because he didn't want to live there. Not sure being traded there would go over well. But he is the best out of that list. Brees is a little too old to rely on for multiple years and Manning I'm not sure we've got enough talent for him to play well.
Good point about Rivers. Does he want to win before he retires though? Its not happening in San Diego. I believe that this Rams team instantly becomes a playoff team with any one of those guys, but yeah i agree that Rivers is the best fantasy option...with Brees being a very close second.

Psycho_X

Legend
Good point about Rivers. Does he want to win before he retires though? Its not happening in San Diego. I believe that this Rams team instantly becomes a playoff team with any one of those guys, but yeah i agree that Rivers is the best fantasy option...with Brees being a very close second.

Edited my post after you quoted to he threatened to retire but same difference really. But yeah Rivers perception might change if he thinks a team is capable of winning now. Not sure the Rams fall under that category. Sure us fans like to think that way but Snead and Fisher have a lot of holes to fill this offseason and even more of our own free agents to resign before I start feeling too comfortable about how this team looks. But by draft time when a trade like this might happen we'll know more for sure. I like Brees a lot but we would definitely need to be ready to win it all now as opposed to Rivers who could probably give us another three or four good years if he wants to play that long.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm dreaming big too: Rams move up to 1 overall and take Goff. Just doooooo eeeeeeet!!!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
200.gif

Yeah, Mojo.

The thread titles are similar.

But the thread content is very different.

I coulda done a better job with that thread title. Lol.

My bad...

pirate87

UDFA
Name
Charlie
Take it for what you will but according to Benjamin Allbright on Twitter the Rams and Peyton Manning have talked. He has been ahead of the game on a few PM things before.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Was gonna say that none of those QBs is going anywhere. Rivers as noted threatened to retire if the Chargers moved to LA. Bet the Chargers go QB in the first as a hedge that they are moving to LA next year.

Drew Brees will already count $20M against the NO cap of the possible $30M come the first game. The only thing I see them doing is eating this crazy cap number if they want to move on from Brees next year or extending him, but his numbers are gonna be big no matter what.

Eli may be a Patriot killer and play well in the fourth quarter, but he's firmly established in NY and there's no way he's going to a power running team.

I want a QB, too and of the three I thought Brees was the only one even close to someone we could get.

At this rate, I don't see any vet coming in and competing. Certainly not Sam Bradford or Jay Cutler. Those guys would be anointed starters and look where that got us. I do think Bradford would be interesting, but I'm pretty sure that divorce was final and it wasn't a Hollywood divorce where there's a remarriage a year or two later.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was gonna say that none of those QBs is going anywhere. Rivers as noted threatened to retire if the Chargers moved to LA. Bet the Chargers go QB in the first as a hedge that they are moving to LA next year.

Drew Brees will already count $20M against the NO cap of the possible $30M come the first game. The only thing I see them doing is eating this crazy cap number if they want to move on from Brees next year or extending him, but his numbers are gonna be big no matter what.

Eli may be a Patriot killer and play well in the fourth quarter, but he's firmly established in NY and there's no way he's going to a power running team.

I want a QB, too and of the three I thought Brees was the only one even close to someone we could get.

At this rate, I don't see any vet coming in and competing. Certainly not Sam Bradford or Jay Cutler. Those guys would be anointed starters and look where that got us. I do think Bradford would be interesting, but I'm pretty sure that divorce was final and it wasn't a Hollywood divorce where there's a remarriage a year or two later.

I dunno, Mackeyser.

I have to say that I see Bradford as a helluva lot more likely acquisition than Eli, Peyton, or Brees. Those 3 are virtually zero possibilities for the Rams. All for different reasons. Probably throw Rivers in there, too.

Not saying that Bradford is likely, mind you. Just that with him the chances are above virtual zero. Lol.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
We don't disagree. The three mentioned are concrete zeroes. Bradford is a virtual zero.

Insert "so you're saying there's a chance" meme here... LOL