Some roster thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
- The Rams really need to get a veteran LB. Preferably not Will Witherspoon because he is done. If one of our starters gets hurt we are stuck with a young UDFA getting a large number of reps.

- The CB battle is going to be fun. McGee, Gaines, Reid and Roberson better bring it because all 4 will doubtfully make it.

- How many safeties do the Rams keep? Davis and Bryant will be a fun battle.

- Who will the backup offensive linemen be? How many spots do we use on offensive linemen? With 4 starters capable of playing OT, do we have to keep a swing T? A lot of young guys will need to bring it to make the team.

- How many WRs, TEs, and RBs do we keep? I think we bring 6 WRs and 4 RBs this year. Reynolds and Pead will probably be in a battle for that last RB spot. If Pead can't beat him out then he should be considered a major bust.

- Speaking of WRs, how do the starters play out. I think Britt is Fisher's guy. Let's hope Britt is in the market for a huge contract in 2015. Does Moe/Veltung make the squad due to Bailey's suspension?

- 2 or 3 QBs?

There are going to be fierce battles in camp. Luckily there isn't much turnover in the starting department. That means we will have a reasonable amount of continuity, meaning we have guys who know roles and coaches who know their guys. No need to redo schemes after 4 weeks. There is established guys. This is still a young roster, but it is a pretty solid one. I'm hoping for a 9-7 year. I think that's a reasonable expectation.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm guessing that Austin Davis is cut and that Gilbert will be stashed on the practice squad leaving Hill to backup Bradford.

I would be surprised if we sign a veteran LB.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm guessing that Austin Davis is cut and that Gilbert will be stashed on the practice squad leaving Hill to backup Bradford.

I would be surprised if we sign a veteran LB.
Would Gilbert clear waivers? I know that's dependent on how he looks in the preseason, but we lost out on one quality backup in Lewis by trying to do the same thing.

I agree we probably won't sign a veteran, but if we have the money we probably should.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LB depth definitely scares me.

As far as a finished record, with so many young players entering years 2 and 3; no reason not to think bigger than 9 wins IMO.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Would Gilbert clear waivers? I know that's dependent on how he looks in the preseason, but we lost out on one quality backup in Lewis by trying to do the same thing.

I agree we probably won't sign a veteran, but if we have the money we probably should.
Yeah, I think we need to just keep 3 QBs on roster rather than try to get cute.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Would Gilbert clear waivers?

He would have to be signed to another team's active roster. I agree it's a gamble but it would free up another spot on our active roster. Here's a link to practice squad rules.

FRO

Legend
Let's bring in Pat Angerer before the Cowboys do.
I would be on board with this. Get a guy who is sitting out there on a one year cheap contract. It's a buyers market for free agents. Maybe a guy gets cut after June 1st.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I heard Vilma works for bounty money....

A55VA6

Legend
I'm only worried about the inexperience of some guys that would have to come in and play if an injury occurred. But I think we have good talent at the LB spot.

lockdnram21

Legend
CB- Jenkins, Johnson,Joyner, Gaines, Roberson
S-Mcdonald, Mcleod, Alexander,Bryant, Daniels

QB- it depends on how good Gilbert is in camp and Pre Season. If hes real good they would have to keep him or in danger of him not making it to practice squad

FRO

Legend
CB- Jenkins, Johnson,Joyner, Gaines, Roberson
S-Mcdonald, Mcleod, Alexander,Bryant, Daniels

QB- it depends on how good Gilbert is in camp and Pre Season. If hes real good they would have to keep him or in danger of him not making it to practice squad
I think I would rather keep another CB over Daniels. With Joyner being able to play FS his versatility is key.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I like Bates because he's a "knucklehead." Armstrong, too. Let's keep this tandem.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I wouldn't be surprised if Alexander or McLeod play free safety on running downs. And then Joyner or EJ Gaines plays free safety on passing downs.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
With Bradfords injury history, we need to keep 3 QBs on the roster. And I never thought about our lack of LB depth. Our starters look great, but behind them, I hear crickets. . . .

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Some real good question FRO I see two major units where its wide open for newbies!

- The CB battle is going to be fun. McGee, Gaines, Reid and Roberson better bring it because all 4 will doubtfully make it.
- How many safeties do the Rams keep? Davis and Bryant will be a fun battle.
I see the main Nine as being Johnson, Jenkins, Reid & McGee @ CB. I see McDonald, McLeod & Alexander @ safeties then Joyner & Gaines as the combo/Versatile DB's that can deliver as a Nickle/CB or a deep safety. If there was a #10 it would be safety Cody Davis. Four rookies making the roster is borderline scary along with two second yr players...youth be served.

- Who will the backup offensive linemen be? How many spots do we use on offensive linemen? With 4 starters capable of playing OT, do we have to keep a swing T? A lot of young guys will need to bring it to make the team.
Fisher & Boudreau carried 11 to 10 OL'ers throughout most of the 2013 season due to the high number of starting OL'er with very severe injury history s. Nothing has changed much. JL/GR/TB/RS/JB as the initial starters with Barrett Jones & Davin Joseph as the 6th & 7th OLers & sure game day dressers. No telling how the rest will shake out Boudreau prefers his reserve OL'ers to play more than 1 or 2 positions so 4yr vet Persons can play all five positions would be my #8 with the highly probable releasing of the worn-down/often injured & highly expensive 6.5 cap hit Wells fast quick Rookie Rhaney guessing #9. OG Washington or ORT Van Dyk are the best of the rest for #10. I still feel that if Harvey Dahl can get healthy enough his dad Boudreau will return him for one finale season as a reserve to that right side. I see only 2 rookies making this master roster but 7th rd.er ORT Van Dyk looks like a developmental PS type.

Your question on the need of a swing OT??? The reserve OT role can be handled by top reserve Barrett Jones during any emergency game situations he is that good, smart & versatile to fill that role. After that game changes will be mandated. Rams top four OT's candidates are starting. One would surmise that if JB is hurt ORG/RS will simply slide 2 ft to his right. If JL was injured then the OLG/GR will slide 2 ft to his left. Veteran Joseph or Jones will fill what ever OG post that is vacated. If Tim Barnes who is entering his 4th season falters as the season wears on @ starting center, Barrett Jones now with a full TC & preseason under his belt will then finally secure himself as a starter. That's my guesstimate.

Last edited:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I think I would rather keep another CB over Daniels. With Joyner being able to play FS his versatility is key.
Agreed! Daniels has not shown much other than his propensity for injury.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Agreed! Daniels has not shown much other than his propensity for injury.

I thought Daniels looked prettty good in preseason untill he got hurt, but if you cant stay on the field you cant stay on the roster maybe the kid will finally catch a break and not get injured this year. I think hes got the potential to be a monster on special teams and a decent back up SS.