Some random thoughts on the Seahawk game...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This will be a strream of consciousness thing... Might be kinda long since I have so much to get off of my chest.

Well, there was plenty of both good news and bad news, huh? Frankly, I’m not all that bummed this morning. The team that deserved to win was the team that won this game. Not necessarily the better team, mind you. Just the team that more deserved to win this particular game. There is a big difference.

Wade seems to have his D clicking now. Six consecutive quality score preventing quarters allowing only 22 total points. And against the Cowboys and the Seahawks, btw. That’s playoff worthy.

McVay has some soul searching to do about the direction of his vaunted O. I’m a huge McVay fan, but c’mon... A total of 10 points? At home? WTF?

Some questions for McVay:

For whatever reasons, this O sputtered yesterday.
Who did Watkins pizz off? One target?
Watkins has caught 14 of 17 targets this season through 5 games. Do the math. That’s a sinful waste of a talented weapon.
Why take either Gurley or Kupp off the field to run Tavon so much? Seems counter intuitive to me.
Please tell me that Tavon will no longer be returning punts. Gawd!
Zero points in the second half? Are you KIDDING me?
Five turnovers went to the Seahawks. Woulda been 6 but Tavon fell on one of his 2 muffs. Geez.
Need to have a conversation with the players about critical penalties, too.
Why did you seemingly abandon the running game in second half? The O became imbalanced too much.
Whatever happened to play design that always seemed to leave one or more receivers open for Goff?

Those above are comments for McVay’s consideration.

Moving on...

McVay was outcoached for the 2nd time this season, the first time was by Gruden. It happens. I’m just mentioning it in passing for those of us that think that McVay can walk on water. Lol.

Goff was off all game long. He just was. This happens to the best of them and yesterday was Goff’s turn in the barrel, I guess.

Gurley’s “pylon fumble”? What a fubar. Maybe Gurley needs to lessen his leaping and stretching tendencies? I’m sure he would have loved a do over there.

Gurley needs to be on the field more, rather than yielding to Tavon so much. Only 43 yards rushing? Seriously? Don’t understand the pulling of Kupp for Tavon, either. McVay’s folly or just plain old stubbornness? Wanting to be too “cute”? Don’t know, but I think it’s a big tactical error on McVay’s fault.

Whit picked a helluva time for his whiff, didn’t he? So frustrating for a great player having a great season. Sigh...

Guess Kromer has some more tweaking to do, huh? Pass pro was mostly okay, but the run blocking needs improvement.

Higbee had a very nice game. Very good to see. Would have loved more Everett, but still...

What’s up with Watkins? Quitting on routes? A #1 WR should be a major part of this O. Even when he’s not open, he’s open. FEED the man! He’s caught 80% of his targets this year, for crying out loud! This is NOT complicated.

Woods is exceeding everybody’s expectations. Helluva signing.

Where in the world is our red zone scoring? McVay has GOT to get this figured out, and soon. It’s inexplicable for such a creative O mind with so much O talent at his fingertips, if you ask me.

I am of the opinion that that would have required an amazing catch on Kupp’s part to end the game. Others have posted that it is a catch that he should have made. I’ll pay close attention when I rewatch, that’s for sure. For now we’ll have to agree to disagree. But my larger point was that Kupp had a good game and that there was plenty of blame to go around for this loss.

Quinn might be done, fellas. There, I said it. I think that the Rams will be forced to make other plans for his replacement next year. Hard to type those words, but there it is.

John Johnson had a nice debut, huh? Seems to be our future starter at one of the Safety positions. Good news there.

Can’t wait for Joyner’s healthy return. He is needed.

I’m sure coach Fassel is all over the tweaking of his ST units. Gotta minimize those penalties. I hope that he agrees that Tavon is a net liability as a PR. Cooper is having a nice season, though.

Now, just a word about Pete Carroll. He won yesterday and I think that it’s fair to say that he outcoached McVay in the process.

However...

He caught a ton of breaks yesterday that are unlikely to be repeated in the rematch. I mean, it almost seemed like a “deal with the devil” scenario of unusual good fortune that went his way.

The Gurley “pylon fumble”?
GZ missing his first FG of the season, a 36 yarder, at that?
He got 5 Ram turnovers?
His running game was utterly shut down and Wilson was intercepted twice and he still won.
Rams enjoyed statistical advantages all over the place, yet he still won.

Don’t know about you, but I look forward to wiping that gum chewing smirk off his goddamned face when we meet again.

All in all, I remain optimistic. We’re not “there” yet, but the ingredients are already on this roster for playoff consideration. McVay will tweak his O until it’s consistently efficient. Wade appears to have his D headed in the right direction, for sure. And, of course, I have every confidence in coach Fassel.

You know? I feel better after getting all this off my chest. Lol.

Onward and upward, y’all.

Thanks for reading.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, if we weren't going to Jacksonville this week, I wouldn't be down about this loss at all. We're in for yet another tough game this Sunday. If we win, all will be good.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
For whatever reasons, this O sputtered yesterday.
Who did Watkins pizz off? One target?
Watkins has caught 14 of 17 targets this season through 5 games. Do the math. That’s a sinful waste of a talented weapon.

Totally agree with your entire post. But this is starting to get ridiculous.....

throw the man the damn ball...:rant:especially in the red zone.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
5 turnovers.....and we still almost won. 4 turnovers and were 4-1.

Agree completely on Watkins. I mentioned him yesterday. 1 catch on 2 games has me scratching my head. We need to get this guy going.

fearsomefour

Legend
If fairness Seattle fans could be saying not only did they deserve to win but it should have been a blow out. Two second half turnovers deep in Rams territory and they can't score a TD?
Shoulda been 24-10 at least.
You know, every week fans can point to plays where the game could have swung.
It was a tough loss the Rams deserved.
This week is a very interesting match up and I expect another low scoring game.
I would look to generate "run game" by getting the RBs involved in the passing game. Both Gurley and Brown. When Brown comes in he is basically ignored by the D and is usually running open. The first 3 or so possessions set the tone on O. If the Rams can score early, given the Jags amazing first half success on D, it will bode well.
That said, the west Coast to east coast trip in the NFL is statistically s tough one to over come.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Moving on...

That's pretty much what I'm doing now. Movin on.

Hopefully this team grows a LOT in the coming weeks, from McVay on down to the lowest guy on teams.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The Rams were very competitive in spite of all of the bad breaks and I think that bodes well. After the Gurley pylon fumble incident I got feeling this game was not going to go the Rams way.

I have a lot more confidence in the defense going forward but they do not have the right pieces for the 3-4 to be an elite Defense. Since getting Alexander off the field (now off the team) this defense has looked much better overall.

I thought Quinn played better but he should have since he was going against Seattle's O-line. At his current play level he still looks to be a cap casualty this offseason.

I want to see Joyner back but I also thought Cody Davis also had a nice game for the most part. His pick on the gadget play was great recognition and nice effort too.

I think McVay seemed to be forcing the ball to Tavon at the expense of Gurely, Kupp, and Watkins getting touches. Aside from TA's TD run (was the Rams only DT) he was not much of factor and those muffed punts are bad news. I think everyone on this forum agrees that he is not worth his 2017 cap hit. However, he has yet to prove he is even worth the 3 million base salary he is due next year. Will it be better to keep him and add 3 mil to the cap or cut him and eat the 5 mil in dead money? If he cannot even contribute as a punt returner then I say adios in 2018.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Quinn should have definitely laid the wood to Wilson
train
That was a excellent example of Quinn's 2017 performance thus far wrapped up in one play IMO.

You & I both know I have been giving Rob Quinn & Mo Alexander pure hell since wk #1 in that order too. Both of these young players have been under performing as starters. IMO these two are nothing but pure weak links in this defense. Mo just did not have the same kind of massive Ram fan base as the once Mighty Quinn has.

Our starting safety Mo since the second half of the 2015 season was benched for last Sunday's game. Then released very soon after. Mo just happen to start a near two dozen Ram games since he became a starter where RQ missed well over a dozen or more. Mo is now departed & RQ remains...Mo was being paid in peanuts shells & Quinn paid in a truck load of pure Gold bars.

Conner Barwin has his worse days work of this young season last Sunday, no evidence in any stats he was even there. Same can be said about his reserve Samson Ebukam who also has no evidence at this point he was ever on the field too. For a Wade "D" That's not good for either Barwin or Ebukam. This "D: will not be effective with performances like that. Sure not what Wade needs from these two starting Edge Rushers if we want to remain somewhat competitive in the NFC West.

However strange as it may seem Quinn had his best game of the season at least on evidence in stats that are visual now to be reviewed. Quinn greatly benefited going one up against one of the weakest starting LT's in the NFL. If that was not helpful enough this Seahawks LT spent 2 days in the hospital earlier in the week with a chest injury. As one would expected Rob Quinn has his best game of the season.

Quinn has six tackles,4 assists & 2.5 sacks for the season. Barwin has 12 tackles, 3 assists & 2 sacks thus far. Quinn is on target to end the season with approx 18 tackles, 12 assists & 8 sacks. Barwin on target to have 36 tackles 9 assists & 6 sacks.

Matt Longacre who has never been a starter since he he entered the NFL back in 2015 & is Quinn's back up has 8 tackles, 3 assists & 3 sacks & on target for approx. 24 tackles, 9 assists & 9 sacks. IMO Quinn reserve Longacre is the much better overall performing Wade weak outside Edge rusher. I say this if you center in on Quinn & watch closely you will see a player who has been unable to make a difference in this defense.

I read most all posts authored in this forum but I am in Fail Mode in being able to understand the unbroken & indestructible positive hope from Ram fans that believe Quinn will return perform the way he did in 2013 & 2014 seasons.

Last edited: