Some other notable cuts around the league...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Gregg Rosenthal
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000236408/article/down-to-53-tracking-the-nfls-notable-roster-cuts?campaign=Twitter_atl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... witter_atl</a>

It's the roughest time of year in the NFL.

Cuts are underway as teams must reduce their rosters from 75 to 53 players by 6 p.m. ET on Saturday. You can get the complete list on the roster cuts tracker, but Around The League will keep a running tally of the biggest names right here.

Jimmy Clausen, Carolina Panthers quarterback: The Panthers drafted Clausen in the second round in 2010 to replace Jake Delhomme. The former Notre Dame passer struggled through an abysmal rookie campaign before losing the job one season later to Cam Newton. Clausen's release, as NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported, comes as little surprise.

Drayton Florence, Carolina Panthers cornerback: Rapoport was told Florence will be released, which comes as a surprise after the team signed him to a one-year, $1 million contract in March with the hopes he would anchor Carolina's secondary opposite Captain Munnerlyn. Young corners Josh Norman and Josh Thomas are in for bigger roles.

Antoine Winfield, Seattle Seahawks cornerback: CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora reported Saturday that Antoine Winfield will be among Seattle's cuts. At 36 years old, the ageless Winfield has been outstanding against the run in recent seasons, and could be offered as trade bait before he's officially released, La Canfora noted.

Max Starks, San Diego Chargers offensive tackle: Starks signed with the Chargers in May knowing he'd be in a battle with King Dunlap for a spot on the left side of the line. That battle appeared lopsided in recent games, but Starks couldn't stand out on a shaky offensive front.

Marcus Trufant, Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback: The 11-year veteran signed with the Jaguars after spending his entire career in Seattle. It was reasonable for the 32-year-old to lose playing time to the young Seahawk studs, but it's a completely different thing to be cut by a Jacksonville team in dire need of secondary help.

J'Marcus Webb, Chicago Bears offensive tackle: After struggling through 44 starts over three seasons, the 6-foot-7 offensive tackle tweeted his release Friday morning. It's a good sign for the young Bears offensive line.

Jordan Palmer, Chicago Bears quarterback: The founder of RunPee.com could get a call during the regular season if backup Josh McCown is hurt. The Bears also released quarterback Trent Edwards, according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune.

David Nelson, Cleveland Browns wide receiver: Rapoport was told by a source informed of the move that Nelson won't make the team in Cleveland. Signed for cheap, Nelson couldn't make an impact this summer after suffering an ACL tear in 2012. The Browns have Josh Gordon and Greg Little penciled in as starters, with Davone Bess in the slot. Nelson might find work again if he can find a way to stay on the field.

Matt Leinart, Buffalo Bills quarterback: On the heels of a rough-and-tumble outing against the Detroit Lions on Thursday, the former first-round draft pick tweeted Friday that he has been released by the Bills. His career probably is over.

Crezdon Butler, Buffalo Bills cornerback: Butler is not a big name, but he was viewed as a potential starter following Stephon Gilmore's injury.

Daniel Fells and Jake Ballard, New England Patriots tight ends: The Patriots have cut ties with two tight ends. Rapoport cited a source in reporting that Fells has been released after signing a three-year, $5.25 million contract in 2012. Ballard, claimed off waivers from the New York Giants last year, also was cut. Ballard lacked speed after surgery. This is a good sign for Rob Gronkowski, who is not expected to land on the PUP list. Undrafted rookie Zach Sudfeld and Michael Hoomanawanui are the healthy Patriots tight ends. Tim Tebow was not among the Patriots' first 10 cuts.

Brian Banks, Atlanta Falcons linebacker: Jay Glazer of FoxSports.com first reported that Banks was let go, and the Falcons later confirmed the news. His inspirational story might not be over. Glazer hints Banks could have some sort of role with the team.

Dennis Dixon, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback: He never really had a chance after the Eagles drafted Matt Barkley.

Tony Pashos, Washington Redskins offensive tackle: ESPN.com's John Keim first reported that Pashos was released by the team, a move that ensures Tyler Polumbus will start at right tackle for the Redskins when the Eagles roll into town on Sept. 9. Pashos didn't play last season because of a left foot injury, and his career might be over.

Mike Thomas, Arizona Cardinals wide receiver: The former Jacksonville Jaguar's career continues a steep decline. He caught 66 passes only a few years ago.

Anthony Allen and Delone Carter, Baltimore Ravens running backs: The Ravens just traded for Carter, but he didn't last long. It looks like Bobby Rainey will be the team's No. 3 running back.

Dan Carpenter, New York Jets kicker: Carpenter just signed with the Jets a few days ago after he was cut by the Arizona Cardinals. His release leaves Nick Folk as the only kicker on the Jets' roster.

Lance Ball, Denver Broncos running back: Ball's release essentially locks Knowshon Moreno into third-down duties unless Monte Ball and Ronnie Hillman shore up their pass protection in a hurry. Undrafted rookie C.J. Anderson is expected to take the fourth running-back spot.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CGI_Ram said:
Jimmy Clausen... :nono:
'zactly. And what does it say when our previous *starters* can't keep a job on a team that needs help at that particular position? <cough> Fells <cough>? A great deal of our starters aren't sticking elsewhere (sans a couple), and a good deal more aren't even playing football anymore. The worst possible time in history to try and rebuild a team was 2009/2010, and an even worse time to lose most of your starters and get locked out was 2011.

SO glad that shit is behind us now. I needed a change.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Rams need to be ALL OVER Bengals FB John Conner who played with Schottenhiemer in New York.

I know that they like the TE H-Back thing, but this guy is one of the legit FBs in the NFL and can even be a short yardage runner in a pinch.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memphis Ram said:
The Rams need to be ALL OVER Bengals FB John Conner who played with Schottenhiemer in New York.

I know that they like the TE H-Back thing, but this guy is one of the legit FBs in the NFL and can even be a short yardage runner in a pinch.
I just don't see it, Memphis. I have a sneaky suspicion that this team is going to employ some spread concepts, and once Kendricks gets back and is able to block on the run and/or peel off to provide a target in the flat or a small curl over the middle, a FB would be the last thing we need. He can do everything a FB can do and then some.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I think there's a good reason why John Conner wasn't listed as a significant cut. As with the Dodo birds, I think the position of FB will soon just be a fond memory of us old guys.

Memphis Ram

Legend
X said:
Memphis Ram said:

I just don't see it, Memphis. I have a sneaky suspicion that this team is going to employ some spread concepts, and once Kendricks gets back and is able to block on the run and/or peel off to provide a target in the flat or a small curl over the middle, a FB would be the last thing we need. He can do everything a FB can do and then some.

No he can't.

Kendricks is no running threat. Right now when the back splits out of the backfield leaving McNeill, Harkey, and now Kendricks there is absolutely no running threat and immediately tells defenses to pin their ears back and come after Bradford.

Kendricks can trap and seal the edge, but he isn't nearly as effective as a lead blocking thumper going straight into the line of scrimmage which this team will need in short yardage situations. Especially with the current backfield.

Conner is also pretty good on special teams and can serve as a backup RB on the active gameday roster.

Besides, given the current configuration of the roster, Kendricks might need to move in the inline TE role. McNeill & Cook can't do it. And Harkey is going to be out for a while.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I know the Rams picked up Shelley Smith and Ganaway at this time last year. Did they pick up anyone else in last years cuts that is contributing now?

Memphis Ram

Legend
max said:
I know the Rams picked up Shelley Smith and Ganaway at this time last year. Did they pick up anyone else in last years cuts that is contributing now?

PD LINK

Such was the case last season, with the Rams claiming four players off waivers in the first two days following the league-wide deadline to reach 53 players: RB Terrance Ganaway, DT Kellen Heard, OT Nsekhe and OG Shelley Smith. In addition, the Rams traded WR Greg Salas to New England for a future draft pick during that time period.

With that in mind, none of the bubble players who survived Friday’s activity should put a down payment on a home just yet.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memphis Ram said:
X said:
Memphis Ram said:

No he can't.

Kendricks is no running threat. Right now when the back splits out of the backfield leaving McNeill, Harkey, and now Kendricks there is absolutely no running threat and immediately tells defenses to pin their ears back and come after Bradford.

Kendricks can trap and seal the edge, but he isn't nearly as effective as a lead blocking thumper going straight into the line of scrimmage which this team will need in short yardage situations. Especially with the current backfield.

Conner is also pretty good on special teams and can serve as a backup RB on the active gameday roster.

Besides, given the current configuration of the roster, Kendricks might need to move in the inline TE role. McNeill & Cook can't do it. And Harkey is going to be out for a while.
Well that's what I'm talking about. I said I expect the Rams to employ some spread concepts, and you don't see a lead blocker in the traditional sense in those offenses. And how many carries does a FB get during the course of a season anyway? Four? As far as moving Kendricks inline, I'm sure that will be the case at times, but I think there's going to be more use of motion out of the offense. If they spread out the offense, then you spread out the defense by default. And when you do that, then there's no need for a lead blocker. You block on the move.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Tim Tebow and Vince Young released per rotoworld.

That should be covered on the news for the rest of the week.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Memphis Ram said:

I'm pretty sure ESPN will have 4 one hour segments on the future of Tebow this coming week

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memphis Ram said:

:lmao: So true.

Memphis Ram

Legend
X said:
Memphis Ram said:
X said:
Memphis Ram said:

No he can't.

Well that's what I'm talking about. I said I expect the Rams to employ some spread concepts, and you don't see a lead blocker in the traditional sense in those offenses. And how many carries does a FB get during the course of a season anyway? Four? As far as moving Kendricks inline, I'm sure that will be the case at times, but I think there's going to be more use of motion out of the offense. If they spread out the offense, then you spread out the defense by default. And when you do that, then there's no need for a lead blocker. You block on the move.

But, are they running some spread concepts or morphing completely into a college spread offense (BTW, didn't Bradford even had a FB at Oklahoma)?

IMO, if they can have 3 TE packages, then they could just as easily have 2 TE and one FB packages.

And FB John Kuhn in Green Bay gets about 20-30 carries per season. And due to injuries to other RB one year got about 80. They run some spread concepts, too.

fearsomefour

Legend
Heard did some nice things for the Rams at DT last year I thought....no idea if he is somewhere else now.

I can just see ESPNs lead story in Sept. 2016...."Tebow, who was last on an NFL roster in 2013, is STILL not playing in the NFL. Now lets talk about A-rod who has been retired for 2 years and show a bunch of dunks from Blake Griffin and totally ignore the fact that he has gaping holes in his game."

Programming truely designed for the lowest common denominator.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memphis Ram said:
X said:
Memphis Ram said:
X said:
Memphis Ram said:

No he can't.

But, are they running some spread concepts or morphing completely into a college spread offense (BTW, didn't Bradford even had a FB at Oklahoma)?

IMO, if they can have 3 TE packages, then they could just as easily have 2 TE and one FB packages.

And FB John Kuhn in Green Bay gets about 20-30 carries per season. And due to injuries to other RB one year got about 80. They run some spread concepts, too.
I can see your points. You're talking about adding Conner as more of an RB in that sense. Is he that versatile that you can compare him to Kuhn? Because he's only had 21 carries and 4 receptions so far in his career. I'm only saying that they'd want someone who can be a lead blocker, move blocker and receiver through use of motion. But again, that's ONLY my suspicions for the offense. Nobody's seen what that is yet.

And trust me. I long for the days of Madison Hedgecock and James Hodgins too. I'm old school.

Memphis Ram

Legend
X said:
Memphis Ram said:
X said:
Memphis Ram said:
X said:
Memphis Ram said:

No he can't.

I can see your points. You're talking about adding Conner as more of an RB in that sense. Is he that versatile that you can compare him to Kuhn? Because he's only had 21 carries and 4 receptions so far in his career. I'm only saying that they'd want someone who can be a lead blocker, move blocker and receiver through use of motion. But again, that's ONLY my suspicions for the offense. Nobody's seen what that is yet.

And trust me. I long for the days of Madison Hedgecock and James Hodgins too. I'm old school.

IMO, while it's probably not a strength, I do believe that it's just a matter of opportunity for Connor. For example, Kuhn had about the same number of carries and receptions during his first 4 seasons.

The Rams may feel differently and I can see the point about the TE/H-Back thing, but I fail to see why they can't have both on the team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memphis Ram said:
X said:
Memphis Ram said:
X said:
Memphis Ram said:
X said:
Memphis Ram said:

No he can't.

IMO, while it's probably not a strength, I do believe that it's just a matter of opportunity for Connor. For example, Kuhn had about the same number of carries and receptions during his first 4 seasons.

The Rams may feel differently and I can see the point about the TE/H-Back thing, but I fail to see why they can't have both on the team.
Anything's possible. We're just speculating anyway.
And they did have a FB in camp, so you never know...

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I hope the Rams take a look at those Ot's and that LB. Btw I watched Fells play last year and he did good in limited reps. Id take him over McNeil any day.