Some NFL observers predict big things for Cooper Kupp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Some NFL observers predict big things for former Eastern Washington receiver Cooper Kupp

Rams_Football.JPG_1N1UPo1_t720.jpg

Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay, left, talks with quarterback Jared Goff, center, as Cooper Kupp watches during practice last week. (Mark J. Terrill / Associated Press)

By Jim Allen

By Jim Allen

The Cooper Kupp controversy is in full swing in Southern California.

That should surprise his many fans at Eastern Washington, where in five years the most audacious thing Kupp did was grow a beard.

But that was all in fun. The NFL is all business, including the serious business of predicting Kupp’s future before he even plays a down for the Los Angeles Rams.

The spotlight has shone brighter after the Rams picked Kupp in the third round of the NFL Draft. The reviews were positive, but now they border on gushing after Kupp performed well in rookie camp.

In a recent “bold predictions” segment on the NFL Network morning show, Good Morning Football’s Peter Schrager said Kupp will be the most prolific rookie wide receiver in the league this year.

“This is the cat that I’m excited for,” Schrager said. “I don’t care that he went in the third round, I don’t care that everyone’s ‘oohing’ and ‘aahing’ over Corey Davis and John Ross and Mike Williams and Zay Jones and JuJu and all these guys.”

“I’m going to even throw a number out there,” Schrager said. “I think he’s going to have 70 catches this year.”

That’s a big number, one that’s been reached by only 16 rookies in NFL history.

Schrager tries to back up his prediction by pointing out that Kupp will be the “perfect safety net” for second-year quarterback Jared Goff.

“He’s not gonna screw up that route. He’s gonna make the play,” Schrager says of Kupp, who will need to make a lot of them to hit 70 catches.

That won’t happen, writes Sosa Kremenjas of Turfshowtimes.com, a Rams social media and news website. Kremenjas points out that the Bleacherreport.com ranks the Rams receiving corps third-worst in the league post-draft.

That’s actually one spot better than last year, when the Rams finished just ahead of San Francisco. It doesn’t help that most experts rank the Rams quarterbacks – Goff and Sean Mannion – fourth-worst in the NFL.

Of the most recent players to get 70 receptions in their rookie season – Keenan Allen, Kelvin Benjamin, Amari Cooper, Jarvis Landry, Odell Beckham – all had proven “home run” ability before their first game.

In other words, Kremejas says, Kupp will have to prove he’s long-ball worthy to increase his time on the field.

[www.spokesman.com]

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Again. I have never seen a player come out and get this much verbal support from players, coaches and now sports writers.

It has to mean something.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I think of Kupp and what he could potentially do, I scream for joy inside....then I tell myself : "Slow yur roll, old man!"

I think we have a special WR in him, but now he has to go out and do it....I think he will!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jeez. I'm so tired of all the speculation. I'll one up it. Along with Kupp, Nelson Spruce will emerge as Rams #2 widout on the other side and also have 70 receptions.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I concur. Lets see what he and all of these others can do in a realm of hungry blood thirsty wolves, ie. Nfl level.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That won’t happen, writes Sosa Kremenjas of Turfshowtimes.com, a Rams social media and news website. Kremenjas points out that the Bleacherreport.com ranks the Rams receiving corps third-worst in the league post-draft.

That’s actually one spot better than last year, when the Rams finished just ahead of San Francisco. It doesn’t help that most experts rank the Rams quarterbacks – Goff and Sean Mannion – fourth-worst in the NFL.

Of the most recent players to get 70 receptions in their rookie season – Keenan Allen, Kelvin Benjamin, Amari Cooper, Jarvis Landry, Odell Beckham – all had proven “home run” ability before their first game.

In other words, Kremejas says, Kupp will have to prove he’s long-ball worthy to increase his time on the field.

Keenan Allen and Jarvis Landry are not deep threats. The idea that they had proven "home run" ability is so false. Plus, the bolded criticism makes no sense. Surely, his argument isn't, "The Rams WR corp is bad, so Kupp won't have a chance to produce." That would support an argument for Kupp getting a chance to produce as a rookie because there's nobody blocking him from getting a lot of targets.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Shocking analysis.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Same stories/quotes, churned over and over again, until the mouse turns the milk into heavy cream, and climbs out, and is the NFL offensive rookie of the year.

Kupp will churn some shit up, never quit, climb to the cream of the crop, and make all the naysayers get fired from ESPN.....

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Keenan Allen and Jarvis Landry are not deep threats. The idea that they had proven "home run" ability is so false. Plus, the bolded criticism makes no sense. Surely, his argument isn't, "The Rams WR corp is bad, so Kupp won't have a chance to produce." That would support an argument for Kupp getting a chance to produce as a rookie because there's nobody blocking him from getting a lot of targets.

When Ike got nearly 1800 yards, Chris Chandler was throwing to him and the WR corps of the Rams was crap except for Bruce.

Also, pretty sure the year after Nick Foles had his monster year, they didn't consider him "a bust" who'd be struggling to line up backup work in 2-3 years. Things change.

And WE all know that our scheme and coaching were so colossally bad that not even all time greats would have fared well.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Jeez. I'm so tired of all the speculation. I'll one up it. Along with Kupp, Nelson Spruce will emerge as Rams #2 widout on the other side and also have 70 receptions.
I agree with your assessment of Kupp but I think it will be Paul McRoberts that emerges from the pack and stuns the world with 120 receptions and will be the only active player ever invited to join the Hall of Fame!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keenan Allen and Jarvis Landry are not deep threats. .

True, but Landry has Kenny Stills & Allen has had others that stretch the field so the secondary's can't just press all the time because they do not fear being beat over the top, it's called vertical congestion and the theory is, if there is no deep threat the other receivers won't have areas of the field to get open.

Now here is where I do believe the Rams have receivers that can get deep in the likes of Austin & Reynolds, in fact, that is where Reynolds excels. Again, Austin will play the DeSean Jackson in this offense, but the debate of Kupp not getting enough opportunities is derived from the fact that there will not be enough moving parts for Kupp to get open and it will not be Kupp, but the lack of other quality wide receivers on the team that will result in the lack of receptions.

jap

Legend
Again. I have never seen a player come out and get this much verbal support from players, coaches and now sports writers.

It has to mean something.

It means that a lot of folks have too much damn time on their hands. What will be will freakin' be. Let the guys play and establish their own marks. A lot of things have to come together (OL gelling, Goff development, Kupp development, the return of the Gurley Express!, the growth & development of other fly guys) before these speculations have a chance for real viability.

Anyway, it's been a whole two years since the Horns had a rookie of the year winner (Aaron [2014], Gurley [2015]). We need to re-establish ourselves as the procurers of the finest young talent in the league - especially now that we have added the elite coaching to go along with that talent.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It means that a lot of folks have too much damn time on their hands.
So you can show me another player drafted that had Pro Bowl and All Pro receivers as well as NFL defensive backs volunteer how good they think Kupp is going to be?

jap

Legend
So you can show me another player drafted that had Pro Bowl and All Pro receivers as well as NFL defensive backs volunteer how good they think Kupp is going to be?

What does that have to do with anything? It's that time of year when speculations are running way too much, and I would rather let the guys just play and establish themselves, especially since they have yet to play an NFL down. I already did my own gushing about Kupp back around the draft days, even comparing him to Jerry Rice. But now these sports writers are just fishing for anything to write about.