Some good notes from Nick Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Halfway Through OTAs

Posted by nickwagoner on June 6, 2013 – 9:11 PM
<a class="postlink" href="http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/06/06/rams-halfway-through-otas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/06/06/ ... ough-otas/</a>

- The Rams were back on the practice field Thursday afternoon as they went through their fifth of 10 scheduled Organized Team Activities. They will have another on Friday and then four more next week to bring the offseason program to a close.

- A couple of notables sitting out Thursday’s practice were TE Lance Kendricks (who is still recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his knee) as well as S Darian Stewart, who is dealing with a calf issue. OL Barrett Jones is also still working his way back from a foot injury as is S Matt Daniels, who is coming back from knee surgery.

- Plenty more to come on Stewart today but had a chance to catch up with him after practice. Coach Jeff Fisher said Stewart is “penciled in” as a starter at one of the safety spots. It’s no surprise given Stewart’s experience relative to the younger players at his position. Stewart says he is embracing the role as a sort of “elder statesman” amongst the safeties and he’s looking forward to making an impact in 2013 after his 2012 season never really took off.

- One more thing to note for those curious about the delineation of safeties: [hil]Stewart says the two safety spots are interchangeable in this defense and there’s no true strong and free safety, per se. Stewart said he’s worked at both spots and his fellow safeties are doing the same[/hil]. That’s not strange for Stewart, who said he has been working in similar roles since his college days at South Carolina.

- Speaking of interchangeable positions, Fisher discussed the roles of OLBs Alec Ogletree and Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Much has been made of who will play where but like safety, Fisher said there isn't a big difference, [hil]only a left and a right.[/hil] For what it’s worth, Ogletree is starting out on the left side with Dunbar on the right.

- Also had a chance to chat with WR Chris Givens, a player who might not be getting the deserved recognition right now given the Rams’ new acquisitions for the pass game. But it’s wise not to forget Givens, who had a few impressive grabs Thursday, including yet another connection with QB Sam Bradford on the deep ball.

- I’ll have a lot more on Givens in a story for Friday but a few quick tidbits worth noting:

[hil]Givens credits fellow WR Austin Pettis with helping he and fellow WR Brian Quick understand how to spend their copious offseason downtime. Pettis hosted the pair in California over the summer and the trio worked out together all the time, including some workouts with former NFL WR Terrell Owens.[/hil] Say what you will about Owens but his work ethic was never a question.

In the offseason, Givens made it a point to add a little weight to his frame and he’s noticeably stronger. He said it was important for him to add some bulk so he could better handle the rigors of the NFL.

Another reason Givens added some weight/muscle was to help him diversify his game. After working exclusively catching the deep ball and then doing some stuff in the screen game, Givens said it was imperative to diversify his game a bit by adding intermediate routes and working on that. Added bulk can help him take on some of the hits he’ll see if and when he goes over the middle more.

- Asked Bradford about Givens’ work in the offseason and Bradford made it a point to mention how Givens is showing a lot of versatility and that versatility is going hand in hand with expanded route concepts that Givens is taking on. Instead of playing exclusively on the outside, Givens is moving into the slot some, working on the opposite side a bit, etc. That’s allowing him to run more of those aforementioned routes. It’s something Bradford believes will be very beneficial for Givens and for the offense in 2013.

- On the one-game suspension of RB Isaiah Pead, Fisher said the issue actually took place last summer and had already been dealt with while they expected something from the league. He went on to say “He obviously has to suffer the consequences and miss the game but I’m pleased with how he’s bounced back and his professional approach to being a member of this team.”

- It’s been pretty obvious to anyone watching but when asked about the presence and early performance of TE Jared Cook, he couldn’t help but again state the obvious…

“He’s good. I don’t know if you guys noticed that,” Bradford said laughing. Yeah, for anyone watching, it’s been hard NOT to notice.

- That’ll do it for today. Plenty more to come tomorrow. Thanks for reading.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Glad to hear Stewart is getting work at both spots. Doesn't hurt to have experience at both.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Finally a little bit of info, seems its been scarce.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I can't figure out why X didn't hi light the Cook thing, that sent chills for me.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I like the fact that Givens is bulking up. He seems to be getting the whole "what it means to be a professional" thing.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
I like the fact that Givens is bulking up. He seems to be getting the whole "what it means to be a professional" thing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHZhw94C5vQ[/youtube]

nighttrain

Legend
El Juggernauto said:
first I've heard of Quick. Good all three working together in offseason..
train

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
nighttrain said:
El Juggernauto said:
first I've heard of Quick. Good all three working together in offseason..
train

One of them tweeted a photo of the three of them with owens a month ago. These guys mean business.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Quick isn't the 'sexy' player anymore, especially not at receiver. I think he's going to quietly have a productive year while everyone talks about Austin... And about halfway through the 2014-2015 season people are going to go "Holy shit, where did this guy come from?"

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I think that's the way it goes as well, so many second year players "explode" when they are "forgotten" because of the "new kid in town".

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bluecoconuts said:
Quick isn't the 'sexy' player anymore, especially not at receiver. I think he's going to quietly have a productive year while everyone talks about Austin... And about halfway through the 2014-2015 season people are going to go "Holy shyte, where did this guy come from?"

If that happens we're a Superbowl threat.

Quick's emergence is VERY SIGNIFICANT to our success.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram added:

For sure. Keep in mind that we only have 4 other WRs on the roster that are anything more than PS types.

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:
CGI_Ram added:

For sure. Keep in mind that we only have 4 other WRs on the roster that are anything more than PS types.
Quick has great length and jumping ability to go with being right at 6'4''.Pettis 6'3'' even and 20 + pound lighter
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
nighttrain with some cogent thoughts:
Quick has great length and jumping ability to go with being right at 6'4''.Pettis 6'3'' even and 20 + pound lighter
train

Thoughts about his red zone potential were a large part of the conversation last year. I expect big things from him in that area this year. Add Cook and Austin into the equation and I still think Pettis won't be getting very many red zone touches.

Of course that's being talked about in a separate thread but it's still pertinent in this one.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
train

Thoughts about his red zone potential were a large part of the conversation last year. I expect big things from him in that area this year. Add Cook and Austin into the equation and I still think Pettis won't be getting very many red zone touches.

Of course that's being talked about in a separate thread but it's still pertinent in this one.
I don't know which thread that is, so I'll perpetuate the pertinence in the present place (did I spit on you there?)

Pettis' redzone TD percentage is ridiculously high. 9 targets, 5 catches, 4 TD's last year. That's something a QB never forgets. Even if he has other options available to him. Of course you may be right and Pettis slips down further on the totem pole, but wow. Those stats are incredibly hard to beat and the bar has absolutely been set by Pettis in that regard.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
albefree69 said:
train

I don't know which thread that is, so I'll perpetuate the pertinence in the present place (did I spit on you there?)

Pettis' redzone TD percentage is ridiculously high. 9 targets, 5 catches, 4 TD's last year. That's something a QB never forgets. Even if he has other options available to him. Of course you may be right and Pettis slips down further on the totem pole, but wow. Those stats are incredibly hard to beat and the bar has absolutely been set by Pettis in that regard.
It was pretty obvious that he became a go to guy late last season. Huge catch radius, good hands, and exceptional short area quickness for his height.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
X said:
albefree69 said:
train

It was pretty obvious that he became a go to guy late last season. Huge catch radius, good hands, and exceptional short area quickness for his height.
Yessir. Fastest 20-yard shuttle time of the entire combine.
It was a record too, wasn't it?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:

Pettis?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
albefree69 said:
train

I think he's in the top 5 all-time, but he was the fastest that year, I believe.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
X said:

Pettis?
Yessir.

<a class="postlink" href="http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/02/27/ccripe/former_boise_state_wr_austin_pettis_sets_record_shuttle_run" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/0 ... huttle_run</a>