some first guesses about what the offense will look like

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

den-the-coach

Schottenheimer’s offense requires a great deal of input from the QB. They are expected to make crucial calls at the line and have the ability to change plays.

jrry32

Just expect the running game to take the lead with a lot of throws in the 5 to 15
yard range. This offense is especially slant heavy.

libertadrocks

I agree with the premise. Schotty is bringing in his Coryell style offense but is tailoring it the the talent we have. We had more success with the WCO in 2010 so he is adding a lot of that stuff to the playbook. I also agree that our offense will not be as conservative as 2010. We have more talent now.

Just expect the running game to take the lead with a lot of throws in the 5 to 15 yard range. This offense is especially slant heavy.

How did Sanchez's passes break down according to range? Looking at just one year--->

SANCHEZ 2010:

Short. 10 Yards & below: 66.3% of total attempts, with 60.4% completions

Medium. 11-20 yards: 22% of total attempts, with 55% completions

Deep medium. 21-30 yards:6% of total attempts, with 30.0% completions

Long. 31+ yards: 5.7% of total attempts, with 17% completions ...which btw is pretty bad on long attempts

BRADFORD 2010:

Short. 10 Yards & below: 74.4% of total attempts, with 66% completions

Medium. 11-20 yards: 19% of total attempts, with 47% completions

Deep medium. 21-30 yards: 3.7% of total attempts, with 27.3% completions

Long. 31+ yards: 2.9% of total attempts, with 23.5% completions ...which is a below okay completion rate on long attempts.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Hard to say how much of this had to do with Sanchez, but LT, Greene, and McKnight combined for 85 receptions last year. I expect to see SJ and Pead get a lot of check down looks. Both are good in the pass game.

A lot will fall on Bradford's shoulders this year. This system should play to his strengths. If the line holds up he should throw for close to 4000 yards.

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
moklerman

The more I look at some of the things Schottenheimer has done, the more I think this offense won't be the conservative, run-first type of thing that many think it might.

For example, before Favre got hurt in '08, the Jets were scoring and passing the ball quite a bit.

Schottenheimer has coached for Mangini, Ryan and now Fisher so I think his approach has been assumed to be a conservative one but I don't think that's necessarily going to be the case for the Rams.

With Favre, the Jets were a 400 point team and they were on the brink of that last year with Sanchez. Each of his years as the QB, they have improved each year so it's very possible that it was by design that they were bringing him along.

Not to mention the success he's had in the playoffs.

I was very pessimistic about Schottenheimer but I get more excited about the possibilities the more I look at his history. Pennington had the highest completion percentage of his career, Favre was having a pretty good year with no training camp and Sanchez improved each year under Schottenheimer.

Not to mention the ground game.

Barring injury, I think this offense will be a stark improvement over recent years.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well it can't get any worse.

But if it does (get any worse), Ima kill some fools.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
zn said:
moklerman

The more I look at some of the things Schottenheimer has done, the more I think this offense won't be the conservative, run-first type of thing that many think it might.

For example, before Favre got hurt in '08, the Jets were scoring and passing the ball quite a bit.

Schottenheimer has coached for Mangini, Ryan and now Fisher so I think his approach has been assumed to be a conservative one but I don't think that's necessarily going to be the case for the Rams.

With Favre, the Jets were a 400 point team and they were on the brink of that last year with Sanchez. Each of his years as the QB, they have improved each year so it's very possible that it was by design that they were bringing him along.

Not to mention the success he's had in the playoffs.

I was very pessimistic about Schottenheimer but I get more excited about the possibilities the more I look at his history. Pennington had the highest completion percentage of his career, Favre was having a pretty good year with no training camp and Sanchez improved each year under Schottenheimer.

Not to mention the ground game.

Barring injury, I think this offense will be a stark improvement over recent years.

Damien Woody, Alan Faneca, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Thomas Jones also ran for 1,312 yrds that season with 13 TDs. Leon Washington had 6 TDs. One behind SJ39.

From what I've heard and read though it sounds like he uses what he has. Which would be nice.