some famous unscripted/improvised movie scenes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
the-warriors-unscripted-scene.jpg

Come Out to Play
The Warriors (1979)

Director - Walter Hill

In this scene, the script called for Luther (David Patrick Kelly) - leader of the vicious New York gang the Rogues - to drive up and provoke rival gang The Warriors to a fight in the streets by clinking bottles together.

Kelly spontaneously added the now famous line "Warriors, come out to play!”

the-godfather-cannoli-unscripted-scene.jpg

Take the Cannoli
The Godfather (1972)

Director - Francis Ford Coppala

Corleone family capo Peter Clemenza (Richard Castellano) orders his henchman Rocco Lampone (Tom Rosqui) to carry out a hit on Paulie Gatto (John Martino) for his betrayal of Don Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando).

Castellano's original line was "Leave the gun" but drawing from an earlier scene where Clemenza's wife reminds him to bring home some cannoli, he improvised the now famous line "Take the cannoli."

jaws-unscripted-scene-new.jpg

You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat

Jaws (1975)

Director - Steven Spielberg

While chumming the waters in an attempt to lure the deadly great white shark within range, Police Chief Brody (Roy Scheider) gets his first look at exactly how massive the killer shark truly is.

Stunned, startled and filled with fear he stands up and utters the now famous line to Orca Captain Quint (Robert Shaw) completely off-script, "You're going to need a bigger boat.”

Turns out, he was right.

the-shining-unscripted-scene.jpg

Here's Johnny!The Shining (1980)

Director - Stanley Kubrick

Wendy Torrance (Shelley Duval) and her son Danny (Danny Lloyd) hide from the deranged novelist Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) in a hotel bathroom. As Jack begins chopping through the door with a fire axe and sticks his face into the splintered opening, he utters a phrase previously made popular by Ed McMahon on The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson - "Here's Johnny!"

The line was not part of Kubrick's original screenplay and was improvised by Nicholson.

blade-runner-unscripted-scene.jpg

Like Tears in the RainBlade Runner (1982)

Director - Ridley Scott

As ex-blade runner Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) attempts to "retire" the replicant known as Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer), he finds himself in a precarious position. The battle worn replicant shows mercy on Deckard rescuing him from the edge of the building - only to die himself shortly after giving a moving monologue.

As he reminisces about his past he says, "All those moments will be lost in time...," but then Hauer adds the unscripted phrase "...like tears in the rain."
a-clockwork-orange-unscripted-scene.jpg

Singing in the Rain
A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Director - Stanley Kubrick

Alex (Malcolm McDowell) breaks into a happy song as he and his "droogs" perform a bit of "ultra-violence" and rape. Reportedly Kubrick filmed this scene several times and wasn't happy with it each time - until he told McDowell to just "do anything he wanted".

McDowell decided to belt out "Singing in the Rain" and Kubrick was so pleased with how much better the scene became that he acquired the rights to use the song immediately.

taxi-driver-unscripted-scene.jpg

You Talking to Me?Taxi Driver (1976)

Director - Martin Scorsese

When screenwriter Paul Schrader wrote this scene it simply said "Travis talks to himself in the mirror" - there was no specific dialog given. Everything that insomnia-plagued taxi driver Travis Bickle (Robert De Niro) says during his faux-conversation was improvised by De Niro on the spot.

To this day, whenever someone walks by a mirror they can't help but utter his now famous line "You talking to me?"

silence-of-the-lambs-unscripted-scene.jpg

Hsssss!
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Director - Jonathan Demme

The famous "hssssss" sound made by Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) during his story about eating a liver with "fava beans and a nice Chianti" to FBI agent Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) wasn't in the original script.

Apparently it was something Hopkins did during rehearsals to creep out Foster - and Demme decided leaving it in was the best way to creep out his audience too.

the-dark-knight-explosion-unscripted-scene.jpg

Delayed Explosion
The Dark Knight (2008)

Director - Christopher Nolan

Originally, the Joker (Heath Ledger) was supposed to walk down the street while the explosion at the hospital began, get on the school bus during the scripted pause, and the bus would drive away while the explosion finished.

However, Ledger stopped walking during the pause and in a moment of improvisation began fidgeting with the remote detonator in a very Joker-esque manner - bringing a slight amount of dark humor to what would have just been a serious scene.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Full Metal Jacket

Much, if not all, of R. Lee Ermey's dialogue during the Parris Island sequence was improvised. While filming the opening scene, where he disciplines Pvt. Cowboy, he says Cowboy is the type of guy who would have sex with another guy "and not even have the goddamned common courtesy to give him a reach-around". Stanley Kubrick immediately yelled cut and went over to Ermey and asked, "What the hell is a reach-around?" Ermey politely explained what it meant. Kubrick laughed and re-shot the scene, telling Ermey to keep the line.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
When Han Solo (Harrison Ford) says "I know." in response to Leia (Carrie Fisher) saying "I love you." in The Empire Strikes Back. It was completely improvised by Ford and went against the script, but Lucas loved the line so much that he kept it in.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Memento said:
When Han Solo (Harrison Ford) says "I know." in response to Leia (Carrie Fisher) saying "I love you." in The Empire Strikes Back. It was completely improvised by Ford and went against the script, but Lucas loved the line so much that he kept it in.
That was a great one.

Another Harrison Ford improvisation-Raiders of the Lost Arch. A thug dressed in black does some impressive sword play. Indiana just pulls out his gun and shoots him. I thought it was hilarious and was well done. Apparently there was supposed to be a big sword fight, but Ford had dysentery and didn't feel up to it. I think I liked the gun a lot more than what would have been a sword fight.

Another one from a corny movie: "It's a Wonderful Life". There's a scene where George's younger brother comes home with a wife. He and his family have a party. The character, Uncle Billy, left the house obviously intoxicated after speaking with George. After he walks off scene a stage hand dropped something and caused a ruckus int he background, in character, the guy who plays Uncle Billy says "I'm alright, I'm alright", while sounding drunk. That was all improvised, but it really seemed to complement the scene well.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
brokeu91 said:
Memento said:
That was a great one.

Another Harrison Ford improvisation-Raiders of the Lost Arch. A thug dressed in black does some impressive sword play. Indiana just pulls out his gun and shoots him. I thought it was hilarious and was well done. Apparently there was supposed to be a big sword fight, but Ford had dysentery and didn't feel up to it. I think I liked the gun a lot more than what would have been a sword fight.

Another one from a corny movie: "It's a Wonderful Life". There's a scene where George's younger brother comes home with a wife. He and his family have a party. The character, Uncle Billy, left the house obviously intoxicated after speaking with George. After he walks off scene a stage hand dropped something and caused a ruckus int he background, in character, the guy who plays Uncle Billy says "I'm alright, I'm alright", while sounding drunk. That was all improvised, but it really seemed to complement the scene well.
I believe what happened is Ford asked (for the reason you said), "Why don't I just shoot him?" Spielberg went with it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter