Softli: What is Kellen Clemens' biggest obstacle (audio)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
What is Kellen Clemens' biggest obstacle taking over as Starting QB? Tony Softli talks w/ The Turn

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Cutting out turnovers. He always seems to have a tendency to throw INT's and be quite fumble prone.
If he can keep the interception number down, he should do ok

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I haven't listened yet; but it's got to be turnovers!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well, that piece makes me feel better about Clemens.

If Tony's right, it appears he's been practicing well (all season) and has the respect of the players. He's certainly been in this offense long enough to have it mastered. His years in the NFL is a bonus too.

For me it still comes down to protecting the football as my biggest worry with Clemens.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I have to say,,, I like hearing that Killer is more of a gambler than Sam.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
His biggest obsticle... hmmm

Well, I can't thing of a single thing that he's better at than Sam. I think that's a good place to start... and end. I'm not going there.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
His biggest obsticle... hmmm

Well, I can't thing of a single thing that he's better at than Sam. I think that's a good place to start... and end. I'm not going there.
Since we have not seen Clemens working with the 1's it is hard to say there are not things he is equal to or even better than Sam at. Obviously Sam is our #1 guy but Clemens is on the team for some reason.

As for protecting the football see his previous stats I posted above and realize the rest of this team is better than the team he played with for 3 games in 2011.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Taking care of the ball.
Avoiding the pass rush.
Finding receivers.
Delivering the deep ball on play action.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I am not going to build up a bunch of false hope this time.

I drank all the offseason koolaid and I am not going down that road again with this administration.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to say,,, I like hearing that Killer is more of a gambler than Sam.

Gambling only works if you have the arm, mental acuity and accuracy to put it in there. Clemens doesn't.

What is Kellen Clemens's biggest obstacle? His complete lack of talent. :shifty:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Gambling only works if you have the arm, mental acuity and accuracy to put it in there. Clemens doesn't.

What is Kellen Clemens's biggest obstacle? His complete lack of talent. :shifty:

He may not have Sam's arm strength, but he has enough to be earning an NFL game check for many years now. He has talent,,, otherwise he wouldn't have been strapping on a helmet all these years. Saying he has a "complete lack of talent" is not even remotely accurate. And as for his mental acuity,,, that's one of the biggest reasons he's still playing.

Gambling doesn't mean forcing the ball into obvious coverage to me,,, I take it to mean that he will play aggressively. I have always thought that Sam's first thoughts before he releases a pass is "What could go WRONG here"... I think that was ingrained into him from his first 2 years with Spags in his head. I think Killer's Gambling instincts will have him thinking "What could go RIGHT here" instead.

Truth is, Killer isn't in the top 10 as far as NFL QBs,,, but he isn't in the bottom 10 either.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Doom and gloom much?

Clearly the dropoff will be noticeable, but Clemens can still get the ball to the receivers. And other people are accurate in their assessment of his propensity to take more chances. His first read is usually the one that will yield the most yards. I've noticed that about him for years now. Sometimes that will pay off and sometimes it won't, but he didn't get in the coaches' favor by being a talentless QB.