Softli on Bradford - 101 (notes)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/08/08272012110336.mp3[/rp3]
http://www.101sports.com/templates/audi ... e=s&a=9417

(overall impressions of Saturday)
O-line had some holes in it, and we knew Ryan was gonna bring the heat. They had a hard time holding up and protecting Bradford. Defensively, tackling was poor. I'd like to use a heavier word, but up to that point, that wasn't an issue. The middle of the D was thrown on pretty heavily. It's preseason, but Detroit is right around the corner, so there's some things they have to shore up really quickly. Missing assignments is one thing, but tackling is fundamental. If you can't do that, you're in trouble.

(on Jenkins)
You see the position attributes, awareness level of that of a veteran, but the only thing concerning to me is patience. Don't bite on things, don't get beat by double moves, and he's gonna have to learn that. Saturday was a hell of a learning experience.

(on Brockers)
Very talented. Size, girth, power. He's just starting to get comfortable in there. Obviously less Snead and his scouts targeted a guy they liked and it's paying off. He's coming on each practice session and game.

(on Pead/Richardson)
I like them both. They're two different types of runners. Pead is a skip-n-skate, and Richardson is an inbetween the tackles runner. Both these guys are going to be an upgrade as backups. The one thing with Richardson though, he's had some mental errors, lining up in the wrong spot. These two young guys are going to be able to add some energy and juice to the offense. One cut and he goes with Richardson. I think they found a third back and a guy who can come in and do some damage.

(on Bradford)
I watched a little and there was one play where he went down a little earlier than he should have, but then he got popped in the mouth by Sean Lee on that one blitz, then he was looking around a bit. If you can keep him up right and protected, you'll see what he can do. If you can't protect the guy - and that's the bottom line - there's gonna be big problems. He probably could have stepped up in the pocket more, and there were some situations where the receivers couldn't get open, but at that point you have to get rid of the ball. There's still some growing pains for Sam, and he's gotta work through some issues. If they're not going to short set him, roll him out, or move him out of the pocket, we're gonna see more of that.

Bernie "the best QBs find a way to sort of rise above all that. Stay calm and change the way they play."
And you see a little bit of that under pressure and things starting to unravel. I was encouraged by the 15 play drive. That part of it was good. A little disturbing on some of his throws. A couple of balls sailed, he tried to squeeze a couple into a tight windows that weren't there. He just needs to go back to the drawing board, and they need to settle him down a little so that he's not hurrying or throwing off his back foot.

(on the offensive line)
Scott Wells was head up with Jay Ratcliff, who's a very good NT. I'm sure he's not pleased with his overall play, but for the first time outing, I thought he did a pretty good job. I haven't looked at the film yet. Once he gets that knee solidified a little bit, he'll be ready to go. Turner did a good job as backup.

It's gonna be interesting to see what they do at RT. I like what Richardson did in week 1 & 2, but the little bit I saw on Saturday wasn't good. If it's going to be like that, give him some help. If Jason Smith can't beat him out, then there's some issues at RT. What do you do then? Put Dahl out there? Start Watkins at LG, start the rookie now and get it over with. Let Ojinnaka be the swing tackle.

You gotta have players in order to succeed. It's not a magic thing, it's an X's and O's thing.

(on the WR position)
I think it stayed even as far as competition goes. Gibson had a good catch, Amendola was out there, but neither did much. Quick had the longest reception in preseason, and got blasted earlier. He came back, had a nice reception, and he's starting to heat up. They have to get Givens in the mix more. They didn't try going down deep with Givens like they did the week before. It was situational football though. Salas seems to be lost in the mix, and Pettis continues to be Pettis. He can give you juice and energy, but he's not a homerun hitter.

(on Austin Davis)
Too much film on Davis to stash him on the PS. They'll keep him and keep 3 QBs, and he'll continue to get better. I talked to him after the game. He said he's not comfortable with the offense, and he's continuing to grow. I told him to slide, and he said "Yeah, I know -- I keep trying to get that extra yard." He's bringing some leadership for a young guy.

(on claiming roster cuts)
They're grinding tape right now and trying to figure out where teams are heavy or deep at a position. Possible trades. They're going to build the 53 man roster to the best of their ability. When you try to get guys this late, you look at systems. Terminology and things like that.

(on Russell Wilson in Seattle)
I liked him when I met him at the combine and I loved him on tape. I know I put out there that he spins a better ball than Drew Brees, and he does. He's not as good as Brees, but he's got all the positional attributes. He's cerebral. He was also voted by his peers as a Captain. I like everything he's been doing to this point, but he hasn't seen everything yet. I like what he brings to the table though. What this means is, Matt Flynn got beat out. I wasn't a fan of Flynn anyway. I felt that Wilson would win that battle if given the opportunity. You don't overshadow your financial mistakes though on getting guys like this because winning is the bottom line.