Softli: It Hasn’t Clicked In Mentally for Quick Yet

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Bradford has at least 2 or 3 picks on his resume' because he tried to give Quick a chance and Quick just stood there and let the defender take the ball. Quick's supposed to be a big body that will win 1-on-1 situations and he hasn't done that. I agree that there's a reason he isn't targeted and the reason is Quick.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Weren't three of Bradford's four picks last season deflections/tipped balls? Half of those for pick six?

Sam needs an exorcist.

lockdnram21

Legend
Bradford has at least 2 or 3 picks on his resume' because he tried to give Quick a chance and Quick just stood there and let the defender take the ball. Quick's supposed to be a big body that will win 1-on-1 situations and he hasn't done that. I agree that there's a reason he isn't targeted and the reason is Quick.

i disagree some were poorly thrown balls. i know for sure one was thrown short. my griipe is not with bradford because i feel he started to try and get quick the ball before he was hurt. my gripe is with clemens. once stacy took over and clemens was Qb Quick was really open complete separtaion. whe he threw it to Quick he caught it but there was times when he over threw or just olain didnt see or have time

moklerman

Warner-phile
i disagree some were poorly thrown balls.
Regardless, Quick just stood there instead of being the beast that he's supposed to be. I'd be fine if he just didn't win the battle but he looked as if he didn't even try. On multiple occasions. And it didn't seem to me that he was uninterested, he just looked intimidated. The only hope left now is that experience will make him more confident but I'm very disappointed that he isn't naturally aggressive and tenacious(for the ball).

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
When ever I get down about drafting Quick in the second rnd, I remind myself to think about the whiners taking A.J. Jenkins in the first rnd that same draft.
At least Quick has made a few nice catches in a game. A few td's as well.

See, I'm feeling better already. :cheers:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I'm like everyone else in that I'm disappointed in Quick not being able to get on the field consistently. And I get the fact that many say we shouldn't have spent an early 2 on him as you want to hit on those picks. But I'm actually ok with it, and here's why. At times we are going to have to make that reach pick on potential if it has a high reward associated with it. Because if we don't take a few shots every once and a while, the odds of having a team full of good players sprinkled with a handful of elite players isn't going to happen. We will have a team with just good players that may or may not be good enough to get the job done. And we are going to be consistently picking middle to later half of the round. When I watch playoff football, I see teams with good players and a few elite players mixed in.
Back to Quick. Guess we could have taken Jenkins since he was rated higher than Quick and considered a much safer pick without near the upside, if that other team didn't take him in the first round before us. Not sure we would have liked how that pick played out either. Nobody hits on all picks and with that being said, I like for my team to do a little speculating on an occasional pick (swing for the fence mentality) as long as we are still making real sound football choices on the others. I don't mind striking out a few times as long as we can hit a few deep balls along the way.
I agree that this year will determine Quick's future with the Rams. I don't think he has to be the number 1 WR this year, but I will and think the Rams will need to see continued improvement. My guess is the Rams are likely to keep 6 WR on the 53 this year which helps him some.

Go Rams
I agree with you totally on sometimes you have to reach on talent however, I don't believe you reach at the time when they drafted Quick with the current state of the franchise. We had so many holes to not draft a more secure commodity with the first pick of the 2nd round. Shameful. However, I don't think Snead is worthless and he will learn from this mistake. You can't become great at anything without failing a few times and the Brian Quick pick was a fail. Maybe next year or the following year we will have the ability to go after upside and talent but not then and maybe not even now.

lockdnram21

Legend
Regardless, Quick just stood there instead of being the beast that he's supposed to be. I'd be fine if he just didn't win the battle but he looked as if he didn't even try. On multiple occasions. And it didn't seem to me that he was uninterested, he just looked intimidated. The only hope left now is that experience will make him more confident but I'm very disappointed that he isn't naturally aggressive and tenacious(for the ball).

i disagree.

I've just made a video of every time Quick was targeted, and some of the plays were flat out dreadful by Quick, I know he's only listed as having 2 drops but there's another 5 or 6 where a better receiver makes the catch, just wish I could post it :(.

moklerman

Warner-phile
i disagree.
That's certainly your right, but I don's see much supporting your opinion. Bradford isn't prone to throwing interceptions. He also isn't opposed to feeding a guy that he trusts. Considering how few times he's thrown to Quick and how many interceptions have resulted from throwing to him, I don't see how that equates to Quick running around wide open and/or winning his matchups(which are often 1-on-1).

jap

Legend
Seems like I always like the players nobody else does. I have one eye and that one eye saw Quick open on his fair share of plays. Now I know there is a lot of Bradford love around here and I hate to break the news to everyone but SB doesn't always see the open WR.

SB was not on the field for over half the season. It is Killer Kellen who was ignoring Brian Quick---not Sam the Ram.

Muleman

UDFA
I agree with you totally on sometimes you have to reach on talent however, I don't believe you reach at the time when they drafted Quick with the current state of the franchise. We had so many holes to not draft a more secure commodity with the first pick of the 2nd round. Shameful. However, I don't think Snead is worthless and he will learn from this mistake. You can't become great at anything without failing a few times and the Brian Quick pick was a fail. Maybe next year or the following year we will have the ability to go after upside and talent but not then and maybe not even now.
Your point on the state of the franchise and timing of reaching for talent is well taken. I think I can give Snead and Fish a mulligan on the Quick pick for now.
Boy, how I would love to see Quick prove he can be a quality starter in the league though.

lockdnram21

Legend
That's certainly your right, but I don's see much supporting your opinion. Bradford isn't prone to throwing interceptions. He also isn't opposed to feeding a guy that he trusts. Considering how few times he's thrown to Quick and how many interceptions have resulted from throwing to him, I don't see how that equates to Quick running around wide open and/or winning his matchups(which are often 1-on-1).

he only has 2 interceptions , the one int i remember Quick was slightly in front of the defender and the ball was under thrown. The commentators were saying Bradford shouldnt efn have thrown the ball. when im talking about Quick being open a lot it was when clemens was Qb. i think the light was starting to come on in the panthers game (i know he had the drops). but he seemed more comfortable. the beginning of the year imo not having a running game was holding all the receivers back. For like the last two months i have been rewatching all of the games that Clemens was in. imo Quick made all the catches he should have. I still have high hopes for him

moklerman

Warner-phile
he only has 2 interceptions , the one int i remember Quick was slightly in front of the defender and the ball was under thrown. The commentators were saying Bradford shouldnt efn have thrown the ball. when im talking about Quick being open a lot it was when clemens was Qb. i think the light was starting to come on in the panthers game (i know he had the drops). but he seemed more comfortable. the beginning of the year imo not having a running game was holding all the receivers back. For like the last two months i have been rewatching all of the games that Clemens was in. imo Quick made all the catches he should have. I still have high hopes for him
Are you talking about just 2013 with Quick? Because his earlier games with Bradford is where I'm basing my impressions of him. When he finally got on the field and got some looks, he seemed to always come up short. But it's the way that he did it. I admit, my perception may be skewed because of the impression I developed of him right out of the gate but it seems to me that he just doesn't have the instincts or natural football ability to really be what we all hope he'll be.

I think of a guy like Antonio Gates. Not a lot of football experience but he just had natural instincts for the ball. Quick seems like the opposite. A physical phenom who keeps getting chances because of his measurables but doesn't really have the skills or personality needed to be a good WR.

lockdnram21

Legend
Are you talking about just 2013 with Quick? Because his earlier games with Bradford is where I'm basing my impressions of him. When he finally got on the field and got some looks, he seemed to always come up short. But it's the way that he did it. I admit, my perception may be skewed because of the impression I developed of him right out of the gate but it seems to me that he just doesn't have the instincts or natural football ability to really be what we all hope he'll be.

I think of a guy like Antonio Gates. Not a lot of football experience but he just had natural instincts for the ball. Quick seems like the opposite. A physical phenom who keeps getting chances because of his measurables but doesn't really have the skills or personality needed to be a good WR.

yes im talking 2013. i didnt expect much out of Quick year 1. To be honest it was unreasonable to expect much. when they drafted him they said he was a project that was raw, rawer then most. Didnt start playing football to senior year of high school. In college he didnt even have a wr coach. Considering that he showed what he could do vs SF and Minn.
2013 second half he was getting better made catches in traffic vs tampa, probaly best blocker on team and my opinon he got better at route running. If Bradford wouldnt have got hurt i feel you would have seen lot more from Quick. after season was over i rember they asked fisher about his progressand he said Quick has been making plays in practice and when we call his number. I really think this is going to be a big year for him. I also thinks he beats out Britt in camp and is starting opposite Bailey or Givens, or Watkins if they draft him

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Your point on the state of the franchise and timing of reaching for talent is well taken. I think I can give Snead and Fish a mulligan on the Quick pick for now.
Boy, how I would love to see Quick prove he can be a quality starter in the league though.
I'm in the same boat, I'd love for him to breakthrough this year and get it down. I'm not so sure it will happen especially with his more and likely soon to be less oppurtunities he's going to get. Along the Same lines of Pead.

scifiman

One of the jobs as gm and coach is to constantly upgrade every position. You bring in guys who will compete and if they prove better than what is already there then you keep them. You draft guys with this concept in mind. Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. Hopefully for Quick's sake he will get it together and be better.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It takes time for wide receivers to grow into who they really are. Three years. That's how long it took Vincent Jackson, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Roddy White, and a whole host of other receivers too numerous to name. I'm questioning why people think that Quick can't do the same.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
There's usually a reason QB's don't target WR's even when they're open. I don't believe any of the QB's last year believed in Quick to catch the ball, run the right route, make the proper adjustments, be on the same page, etc.

If my memory serves me right, Quicks targets dropped off when Clemons took over after Bradfords injury. IMO this is at least in part due to Clemons lack of arm strength and accuracy. Quick seemed to run more intermediate to deep routes with the occasional slant, now whether he ran the correct route or not for the coverage I dont know.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, but while I wasn't really big on the Pead selection, he really looks like he could be a very good 3rd down back and play a Shane Vereen (Patriots) type role for the Rams. Quick? He may never become a the so-called necessary #1 WR that so many desire, but he still looks like he could become a pretty good NFL WR to me.

I agree with you. I just gotta ask if our current WR's truly negate selecting Sammy Watkins? We don't have an outside threat of his calibre, period. Sam needs a go to guy on the outside. I hate to say it but Sam trusted Gibson on the outside more than any WO on last year's roster. That's very sad because Gibson was nothing special. He was about as average as they come.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It takes time for wide receivers to grow into who they really are. Three years. That's how long it took Vincent Jackson, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Roddy White, and a whole host of other receivers too numerous to name. I'm questioning why people think that Quick can't do the same.

And he was probably more green coming into the league compared to those mentioned.