Softli Explores Why The Rams Lag Behind The Rest Of The Nfc West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How close are the Rams to reaching their peers in the NFC West? Our 101 ESPN NFL Analyst Tony Softli gives his take.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Ummmmmm because the Rams had Kellen Clemens starting for 9 games in 2013?????

Eeerrrrrrrrrrr because 2 years ago the finished the worst 5 years stretch in NFL history???????

The most important thing Softli said is they have to shore up the O line. Most of us here have been saying that since before the season ended and some since last year's off season. I don't believe they are that far away if the fix the O line. They were 4-1-1 with Bradford the year before with less talent around him. It is imperative that they protect Bradford at all cost for the remainder of his career and then whoever is our next franchise QB.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Eeerrrrrrrrrrr because 2 years ago the finished the worst 5 years stretch in NFL history???????

The most important thing Softli said is they have to shore up the O line. Most of us here have been saying that since before the season ended and some since last year's off season. I don't believe they are that far away if the fix the O line. They were 4-1-1 with Bradford the year before with less talent around him. It is imperative that they protect Bradford at all cost for the remainder of his career and then whoever is our next franchise QB.
I gotta agree with this. You watch how much time Brady has in the pocket and you still see him miss very makeable throws. I firmly believe Bradford could be a very good to great QB with some actual time to throw and a bit more time for the receivers to break free. Giving the receivers the opportunity to make double moves every now and then would be HUGE IMO.

RFIP

Every time I hear Softli talk, especially about Fisher, he sounds like a bitter, former coach. Also, most of what he says is hog wash.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Every time I hear Softli talk, especially about Fisher, he sounds like a bitter, former coach. Also, most of what he says is hog wash.

Sounds like a bitter fan that did not hear anything to support his draft dreams :wink:

I'm joking

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Can we get new beat writers to cover our team? None of these guys bring anything to the table. It's all the same whether they write new articles or not. This has all been covered multiple times...

fearsomefour

Legend
I gotta agree with this. You watch how much time Brady has in the pocket and you still see him miss very makeable throws. I firmly believe Bradford could be a very good to great QB with some actual time to throw and a bit more time for the receivers to break free. Giving the receivers the opportunity to make double moves every now and then would be HUGE IMO.

^this....along with a consistant running game to keep the pass rush honest and playing from in front at least as much from behind.
For the love of anything I cannot figure out the anti Bradford stuff. He has done nothing to effect the team in a negative way. By all reports a hard working, respected, good team guy with a ton of natural talent.
Here is a fun game. Take the guys widely considered the games best (Brady, Manning, Rogers, Brees) and put them on the Browns, Bills or Cowboys....all of those teams would have a shot at the playoffs. Take the guys that are considered the "next generation", a list in which Bradford is never included (Kap, Wilson, RGKnee, Luck). Put those guys on those same bad teams and they would have almost no impact on their win totals, Luck being the only possible exception. Put Bradford on a good team like Seattle or SF where he could hand off 35 times a game, play from ahead all the time and just focus on not turning the ball over and he would lead them to the playoffs. Put him on a bad team like Cleveland or Buffalo and the results probably wouldnt change much. He is not elite. But he is also not overrated like the all hype guys in SF, Seattle and Washington. Some folks like to say some young QBs have come into the league and had "instant" success. For the most part there has been a ton of help for those guys with a complete team around them where they do not have to make plays week after week. Watching the NFC Championship game really pointed this out. Wilson was having trouble with very fundamental things, handoffs, a shotgun snap, not creating and then taking huge sacks. Kap was just terrible. When it came down to him actually have to make a play by the pass he was lost.
Frankly, I think he is very close to coming into his own. If Flacco can win a Superbowl Bradford certainly can as well.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
A lot of what Softli says, I think is true.
However, (absent depth) I think the Rams can do what they need to do this off season, to compete for the playoffs next year.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Hell hath no fury...

He did sound very negative. According to Softli, when the Rams put the beat down on good teams it was because the good teams were inconsistent, not because the Rams have the talent to do so. But what about Seattle which is supposedly so good they could never be caught by the Rams? When Seadderall came to the dome they got outplayed but ended up winning the game because we couldn't get a TD to save our lives. If Bradford was not hurt, I'm nearly 100% certain we win that game.

I think the Rams are much closer than Softli admits. Yes they need help on the O line, yes they might need an OLB if Dunbar doesn't come back, yes they need help at WR and could use some help at CB. But this is not the 2009 Rams. There are a lot of good pieces coming together, which are young and upcoming.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
fearsomefour, I have to disagree with you including Andrew Luck to your list of young QBs.

The Colts are the Browns, Bills, and I'll add the Jags, without Luck.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
fearsomefour, I have to disagree with you including Andrew Luck to your list of young QBs.

I disagree. I think Luck is a bit over hyped too. But that's how the machine keeps itself rolling. Every new guy coming out is going to be the best ever and change the game so you better watch because you don't want to miss it.

And then of course it rarely works out that way lol.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I disagree. I think Luck is a bit over hyped too. But that's how the machine keeps itself rolling. Every new guy coming out is going to be the best ever and change the game so you better watch because you don't want to miss it.

And then of course it rarely works out that way lol.
Agreed! A. Luck, being anointed as The Chosen One, receives way too much credit and way too little blame IMO.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
According to Softli, when the Rams put the beat down on good teams it was because the good teams were inconsistent, not because the Rams have the talent to do so. But what about Seattle which is supposedly so good they could never be caught by the Rams? When Seadderall came to the dome they got outplayed but ended up winning the game because we couldn't get a TD to save our lives. If Bradford was not hurt, I'm nearly 100% certain we win that game.

I just get so pissed when no credit is given for a good win. Especially the games against New Orleans, Indy and Chicago.

There are holes on this team still, for sure. But to discredit what this team has done and not acknowledge some incredibly flukey play from Arizona is pretty much BS.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I just get so pissed when no credit is given for a good win. Especially the games against New Orleans, Indy and Chicago.

There are holes on this team still, for sure. But to discredit what this team has done and not acknowledge some incredibly flukey play from Arizona is pretty much BS.

Palmer enjoyed a rebirth of sorts, and the defense is top 5. I think it is worth repeating that three of the top five defenses are in the NFC West.

I agree some credit is due, because this current Rams team would wipe the floor with the version of the Rams we saw for so many years. Long and Quinn would have field days and the WRs and Bradford would light up the defense. This was no ordinary rebuild, it's the biggest ever. Repeat. Biggest. Ever.

Doesn't anyone remember the Rams making backups look like hall of fame guys. For fucks sake Clipboard Jesus torched the Rams for 300 plus yards. It was THAT bad. This ball club has come a ways from that.

Yeah they have some holes, but it wasn't long ago they had nothing at all.

fearsomefour

Legend

Fair enough. You are probably right about the Colts being he Browns and Bills without Luck. Their D was pretty shaky. Luck is very young though and still developing. To me he is clearly the best of "next generation" guys. Tannehill isent bad either.
My ultimate point was I have never seen a compelling reason to take or want a running QB over a traditional pocket passer in the NFL. If the Kaps' and the Wilsons' were on average teams even they would be greatly exposed. They have enjoyed their success because of the talent surrounding them. I just dont get the Bradford bashing. He will end his career with the Rams as the Rams all time leader in yards, tds ect. Hopefully he has a ring to go with it.

nighttrain

Legend

Sofli incredibly behind members of ROD in what's going on.
train

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
No doubt about it Kaepernick was definitely exposed in the loss to Seattle. For that matter Wilson didn't exactly look like a world beater either.

But you have to consider that defenses in our division are great and we do tend to make each other look bad.