Softli: Austin impresses more in person than on film

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
I think for sure, 3 starters in Tree, TJ, and Tavon. The interesting issue is if Quick and the Rok make the jump..
I'll call Givens one Starter at receiver from the gate. Best camp battle may b Quick and Bailey
train

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
nighttrain said:
I think for sure, 3 starters in Tree, TJ, and Tavon. The interesting issue is if Quick and the Rok make the jump..
I'll call Givens one Starter at receiver from the gate. Best camp battle may b Quick and Bailey
train
And if it is ,IMO Fisher shouldn't name the starter until the morning of the first game if then,keep 'em working for it every second.

jap

Legend
Thordaddy said:
nighttrain said:
train
And if it is ,IMO Fisher shouldn't name the starter until the morning of the first game if then,keep 'em working for it every second.

There is no problem with Fish naming starters as long as the incumbents understand they have to work to keep their starter status.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Man, that's a lot of praise for McDonald. I'm still not sold at all there. Guess we'll see. I'd love to see this guy be an impact starter day 1.

nighttrain

Legend
Username said:
Man, that's a lot of praise for McDonald. I'm still not sold at all there. Guess we'll see. I'd love to see this guy be an impact starter day 1.
I've made this observation previously, who does he have to beat? With T J we have to hope he's ready cuz we haven't much at Safety from leftover vets. I'm hoping Davis develops, if so, he should get some serious playing time
train

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
jap said:
Thordaddy said:
nighttrain said:
train

There is no problem with Fish naming starters as long as the incumbents understand they have to work to keep their starter status.
Those operative words are WHY I wouldn't name the starter until I had to, might not do it until week two.
My coaching beliefs parallel Parcells that your job is to keep them from becoming "comfortable" to prevent any sort of complacency.

WVURxMan

UDFA
If he thinks he looks better on the practice field than on film, he should wait until its showtime and the lights are on. Tavon Austin's elusiveness is off the charts. The most impressive part of his repertoire that doesn't translate as well in 2-D film is just how fast he turns the corner. He actually accelerates while turning the corner. I'm not sure if I'm describing it well enough, but I hope the other WVU fans know what I'm talking about. I've never seen another human being in the history of the game do it like he does. Watching the man work live and in person can be nothing short of breathtaking.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
WVURxMan said:
If he thinks he looks better on the practice field than on film, he should wait until its showtime and the lights are on. Tavon Austin's elusiveness is off the charts. The most impressive part of his repertoire that doesn't translate as well in 2-D film is just how fast he turns the corner. He actually accelerates while turning the corner. I'm not sure if I'm describing it well enough, but I hope the other WVU fans know what I'm talking about. I've never seen another human being in the history of the game do it like he does. Watching the man work live and in person can be nothing short of breathtaking.

I posted about this on another board and I'm curious if you noticed it as well.

He baits people with his speed. What I mean is he will slow his pace just a bit and wait for the defender to slow up a bit also and take their angle.....then he bursts away and the defender can't get to the new spot fast enough because TA has that acceleration that is so sudden.

In tight space he is really difficult to get down and that's a skill I don't think you can coach. To me its instincts and vision and feet.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think we better temper our expectations for austin. remember he had a ypc of around 10 yards, that means he had alot of catches for little or no yards. that's ok because he's a chance to take one to the house on any given play.

but let's not think that everytime he touches the ball there will be a long gain.