Soft Defense Question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexRamFan

Rookie
After reading a few threads it is pretty obvious we all HATE the soft defensive coverage we are seeing. You can throw me in this group as well. It is so frustrating to watch and I cannot grasp the reason for it.

I never expected a step back from our defense this year and although it is really early, it appears we have taken a step back.

I am no football coach and when it comes to X's and O's I am lost. But I am trying to figure out what the reason for this approach would be? These coaches have forgotten more about football than I will ever know and there has to be something more to it.

Are they trying to protect our Linebackers/Rookie safeties who have little experience together?

Is the goal to just bend and not break?

I am trying to see the coaches side of this defensive strategy and I can't. I would love to hear from someone who knows more about football and provide me with a little information that I may be missing.

It cannot possibly be as simple as just start press coverage and everything is o.k. can it?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I think everybody on the board would love to give you the definitive answer to your question. Unfortunately, it seems to be a mystery to all of us.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The best way I can answer it is to not let the WRs burn them. Which is clearly happening anyway. I can see the logic but it's not working.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think it's a combination of all of those things ... plus.

You have to respect the receivers they've faced.

TexRamFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Zaphod said:
I think it's a combination of all of those things ... plus.

Good point. We have faced a few of the best in the game. Which is what scares me going in to the Dallas game. Dez Bryant is no slouch.

It is going to be interesting to see what they do going foward.

Graphicker

Starter
Fisher and Co want's to keep everything in front of them... The signs were there when Peyton was trashing us.
It's hard to beleieve that the team hasn't learned how stupid it is. It's also infuriating when we allow easy catches, Yet
our WR's are getting mugged and held and no catch comes easy.

RamEERS

Pastor
I remember Fisher played a lot of soft D in Tennessee and always watching them get burned... I remember since whichever QB was playing Tennessee was going to get a free pass from that game...

Also there was a quote from Finnegan about then-D coordinator Chuck Cecil stating that players were tired with him because he would never change the defensive scheme.. even if they were getting their butts handed to them... cant remember where the source was coming from..

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The Rams aren't the only team playing soft cover this year. It's getting to be the league norm to prevent the big play and pass interference penalties that seem to be called if a defender even gets close to a WR.
The athletic TE's that every team seems to have now compounds the problem. The easiest way to get away from the mismatches is play zone.
Rams are protecting the young safeties and maybe Finn a little too.

The Rams mix the coverages constantly, They got beat in man just as bad as they did in cover 2.

Thing is, when you play Ryan and Palmer they will just sit back and take that underneath stuff all day till you try to take that away then boom they go deep.

Giving 24 points up to Ryan in his house isn't end of the world.

Here's what makes it all go away.
1 Play with a lead for a change.
2 Get some push up the middle, so Quinn and Long have a chance. This alone knocks 10 points off the scoreboard.

TexRamFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yamahopper said:
Giving 24 points up to Ryan in his house isn't end of the world.

Here's what makes it all go away.
1 Play with a lead for a change.
2 Get some push up the middle, so Quinn and Long have a chance. This alone knocks 10 points off the scoreboard.

Playing with a lead would be nice!

I also agree with you on getting some more push up the middle would lead to more success.

Don't forget not giving up the big play (which we did) and winning the field position battle (which we didn't).

I doubt we would be having this conversation if they get those two things done. Yes, the soft D is somewhat hard to watch, but it has kept us in games for the most part. And it was one of the NFC favorites with a good QB we were playing as you mentioned.

Hopefully as the unit gels and continues to learn and grow we will be getting different results because I highly doubt Fisher and Co. change their strategy.

Even though it has only been 2 games, I would love to see a few more TO's. Last year we seem to have started off with a bang with the TO's, but since then it seems to have declined.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Zaphod said:

You also have to respect the bubble screens, slants, and checkdowns to the rb in the flat. Dez bryant is gonna kill us with this coverage... Or kill one of our CBs by running them over

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Graphicker

Starter
Our Miss knowledge of taking the short stuff away from Matt was shameful. The Falcons absolutely destroyed our RB's and WR's when they ran those short routes or screens. They looked like the better D and more disciplined as well. The Cardinals looked like the better Defense vs a much more explosive offense yesterday. The Rams look lost out there and if it wasn't for our Dline we would be getting blown out.

I don't understand why our game plan was horrible yesterday on both sides of the ball.. Falcons = No Sjax and no pass blocking.
Yet we're telling them!!!!!

HERE THROW IT FAST!!! THROW A SCREEN TO YOUR WR'S.. OUR CB'S WILL PLAY 50 YARDS OFF. I'll bet if we would have played them tight and had forced Matty to hold on to that ball a second later, Yesterdays out come would have been different.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Graphicker said:
Our Miss knowledge
THIS is our Miss Knowledge.

hot-teacher.jpg