Social media will leak #1 pick early...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The NFL couldn't keep the 2014 schedule under wraps for their big TV Show.

Team schedules were being leaked hours before the TV show by twitter and media guys like Mike Francesa in NY.

Heck, the league didn't even approve the schedule until yesterday. The ink didn't even dry and it was being leaked.

You just know it will be more of the same for the #1 pick. Houston's decision will be out there in cyberspace no later than May 7.

And Snead will have plenty of time to get his deal in place. No way we will be on pins and needles wondering what the Texans are doing with them on the clock.

And this gives the Rams total control of the draft.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
The NFL couldn't keep the 2014 schedule under wraps for their big TV Show.

Team schedules were being leaked hours before the TV show by twitter and media guys like Mike Francesa in NY.

Heck, the league didn't even approve the schedule until yesterday. The ink didn't even dry and it was being leaked.

You just know it will be more of the same for the #1 pick. Houston's decision will be out there in cyberspace no later than May 7.

And Snead will have plenty of time to get his deal in place. No way we will be on pins and needles wondering what the Texans are doing with them on the clock.

And this gives the Rams total control of the draft.
Especially if Houston trades down!

Alan

Legend
If true, it would only be for the first day. As of today, the Texans still have total control.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
But for every correct report of who Houston will take. There will be 2 or 3 that are wrong.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If true, it would only be for the first day. As of today, the Texans still have total control.

To have control of the first round of this draft is HUGE. Most of the Pro Bowl players come from the first round.

By the time we all wake up on Thursday morning it will be known what the Texans are doing with the #1 pick. And the Rams will start the first round knowing which of their planned deals they can make.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If you want to know every pick before it happens you follow Michael Silver on Twitter.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
But for every correct report of who Houston will take. There will be 2 or 3 that are wrong.

Not on Thursday morning. We will all know by then.
Heck, we knew the close calls every time.
We knew Houston was taking Mario Williams on draft day morning.
We knew the Chiefs were taking Eric Fisher on draft day morning.

And the cat will be out of the bag this year even earlier because of all the social media leaks.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
If you want to know every pick before it happens you follow Michael Silver on Twitter.

He's on the NFLC saying he loves the Rams in 2014. He is predicting they will make the jump to the top this year.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He's on the NFLC saying he loves the Rams in 2014. He is predicting they will make the jump to the top this year.
I know the schedule looks tough...but honestly, what this young team needs is to get off to a hot start and start believing they are good. That kind of thing can carry over and do a TON for a young team. It makes them believe in themselves.

Having an "easy" start could go a long way.

Alan

Legend
max with this:
To have control of the first round of this draft is HUGE. Most of the Pro Bowl players come from the first round.

By the time we all wake up on Thursday morning it will be known what the Texans are doing with the #1 pick. And the Rams will start the first round knowing which of their planned deals they can make.
The first round is important max but the second day is crucial IMO. Control or no control we're going to get two good players in the first round. We need to get as many or more in the second day when it's not so easy.

But I'm not totally convinced that it's in our interests that the other teams know it too. When you're under the gun and you only have a few minutes to make a decision you can do things you wouldn't normally do. The sooner the other teams know who the Texans are taking the more time they have to plan how to get our pick but also to have a good backup plan if the bidding gets too high. Or maybe you're right as that's the conventional wisdom.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The first round is important max but the second day is crucial IMO. Control or no control we're going to get two good players in the first round. We need to get as many or more in the second day when it's not so easy.

But I'm not totally convinced that it's in our interests that the other teams know it too. When you're under the gun and you only have a few minutes to make a decision you can do things you wouldn't normally do. The sooner the other teams know who the Texans are taking the more time they have to plan how to get our pick but also to have a good backup plan if the bidding gets too high. Or maybe you're right as that's the conventional wisdom.

Snead said that they have gone through a ton of mock draft scenarios with Houston taking different players at #1. And they played out every option that they had at #2 including trades. And they evaluated what outcomes they liked and didn't like. So they are prepared for anything that Houston does and they have an optimum course of action. And when it becomes clear what the Texans are doing at #1 on Wednesday night or Thursday morning (if not sooner), the Rams will have their plan ready to go, including any pre-cooked deals with other teams like Atlanta.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You mean like they did with the NFL schedule? Well - they got ONE right.

Alan

Legend
max with this bit of news:
Snead said that they have gone through a ton of mock draft scenarios with Houston taking different players at #1. And they played out every option that they had at #2 including trades. And they evaluated what outcomes they liked and didn't like. So they are prepared for anything that Houston does and they have an optimum course of action. And when it becomes clear what the Texans are doing at #1 on Wednesday night or Thursday morning (if not sooner), the Rams will have their plan ready to go, including any pre-cooked deals with other teams like Atlanta.
That's part of what I'm saying. We know what we're going to do so why give the other teams time to make detailed plans?

radjohns

UDFA
I forget, are teams that pick first overall no longer allowed to set terms of a contract with a player before the draft? Like the Dolphins did with Jake Long. I've been hoping that Houston would do the same.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I forget, are teams that pick first overall no longer allowed to set terms of a contract with a player before the draft? Like the Dolphins did with Jake Long. I've been hoping that Houston would do the same.

There's no need to do that anymore... The new CBA already basically dictates what players are going to make.