So who ran the lazy route?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Looks like Will Allen duped him. Took a few phantom steps towards Austin but Foles just let the ball go too early.

There was some pressure coming up the middle but he could have let the routes develop just a second longer and that's a completion. . . .even with the floated throw.

Not too mention it was towards Kendricks who dropped the biggest catch/play of the game.

maximus

Rookie
Austin didn't run a route? What did he do? Sit down and have a picnic?

He made a bad move that it was he did. A route is designed to gain separation. What Tavon did was gain and then immediately lose separation because of a bad move.

It's exactly the same route as the Manningham catch. Receiver beats CB to the outside and stays on the outside. Does Tavon do that? No, he beats the CB on the inside and then immediately fade to the outside. What does he accomplish by fading to the outside? He losses all separation he created when he beat the CB, that is what he does. Routes are designed to gain separation, not to lose separation. That is why I said he did not run a route.

What he was supposed to do? Listen to Fisher
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...eback-attempt-died-on-nick-foles-interception

"But often times when there are balls that are intercepted, there’s more involved than just the throw," Fisher said. "There’s routes that need to be run correctly and pushed down the field, so we have it in perspective.”

"Pushed down the field" = go route, exactly what I was saying, to force the safety to defend his route. That is what Manningham did, that is what Clayton did. Did Tavon do that? No he did not, he faded to the outside after he beat the CB inside. Manningham or Clayton did not fade inside when they beat the CB outside, they stayed outside the whole way, and immediately ran a go route once they beat the CB.

Had Tavon ran the go route immediately after he beat the CB inside, he would have been ahead of Kendricks vertically, thus forcing the safety to commit to him. That was the design of the play, force the safety to defend 2 go routes. But because Tavon does not immediately runs straight ahead after he beats the CB, but instead faded to the outside and slows down, the safety does not have to defend a go route from him, the safety just defends the Kendricks go route and makes the INT.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Assuming Cigs drew it up as him running a 9 route which I think is a reasonable assumption given Fisher's comments, he had to have envisioned Tavon streaking down the sideline much quicker than Kendricks got up the middle. So my own take is that the fade was undoubtedly correct however Tavon did not have his jets on because for that design to work he would have to be streaking down the sideline ahead which I am positive would have drawn the safety.

Had they run it right I'm sure it would have worked. Why? Because defenses are all over Tavon and there's no way that dude would disregard him jetting past the CB and streaking down the sideline. Safety commits and Kendricks the trailing option gets the ball down the middle with nothing but green.

Again, I like the design personally.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Assuming Cigs drew it up as him running a 9 route which I think is a reasonable assumption given Fisher's comments, he had to have envisioned Tavon streaking down the sideline much quicker than Kendricks got up the middle. So my own take is that the fade was undoubtedly correct however Tavon did not have his jets on because for that design to work he would have to be streaking down the sideline ahead which I am positive would have drawn the safety.

Had they run it right I'm sure it would have worked. Why? Because defenses are all over Tavon and there's no way that dude would disregard him jetting past the CB and streaking down the sideline. Safety commits and Kendricks the trailing option gets the ball down the middle with nothing but green.

Again, I like the design personally.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think Foles gave him enough time. Gotta keep in mind that Austin is playing further off the LOS and Kendricks has a free release. X linked the player earlier. I'll link it again:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMTtl_7aTR0

He looks like he's running full steam to me until Foles lets the ball go.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
http://a.video.nfl.com/films/2015/N..._pit_will_allen_interception_303616_1200k.mp4

Here's the play for reference.

Looks to me like Tavon is the culprit at the top of the screen. Looks like he's trying to work a go route but gives up on it about 10-15 yards down the field. The safety is then moving towards the center of the field.
That's what i saw too. Still, it looks to me like Foles didn't see the safety help. Even if he did it was 1st and 10. Can't throw that ball.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Gonna disagree with some of the more recent posts here on the play call.

Kendricks dropped a pass earlier...a big one. That shouldn't mean we won't go back to him. Gotta make plays.

The play itself. Good design (just a bad throw!). Come out in a run formation, defense brings 8 in the box. You know that you'll have Kendricks on a LBer...who he beats by the way. The play design created a mismatch, and at least on that level we won. The safety didn't clear, and Nick read it wrong. But if the safety bites more on TA that's a huge gainer (although he probably overthrows Kendricks anyway).

My two things are (as I mentioned above)
- Nick needed to step into that throw and put more zip on it. The ball was up there way too long.
- I think maybe there should be a read there for the TE. He needs to see that safety not drifting to Austin's side at all, and he needs to turn it into a post or something.

Other good options out of that set though...
- Have TA run a slant or curl and Kendricks a corner or out....That's easy.

But I don't have a problem with Cignetti on that. We had a good match-up. Took a shot at a big play on first down.
Good to see you posting here @Rainram
(y)

WvuIN02

Starter
Agree with jerry. I think there are some people who just have their own agenda vs Austin because they didnt like the pick or whatever.

Its very clear that when the ball came out he was running full speed until he saw it was headed to Kendricks and then slowed down. He was looking back at the QB when it was released, jeez.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Zactly what I'm saying. The only thing none of us know is whether or not Tavon should have stopped, or if he ran the right route at all. I'm just trying to figure out why Fisher would say someone "away from the play" ran a "lazy" route. Only two there who could have been involved are Kendricks and Tavon. And Kendricks was involved in the play, so by process of elimination....

What did Tavon do that was lazy?

I honestly don't know, but it's fun to talk about football stuff once in a while. (y)

Ahhhh......I didn't know he said "away from the play". The guys went out for a pass though.

It could be Austin, or the other WR but his route didn't look "lazy" it looked well run even though he lost his footing a bit when he cut.