So who ran the lazy route?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree, sure Austin could have ran harder and maybe have drawn the safety, but that's not a given and the fact of the matter is it didn't and it's Foles' job to recognize that, especially since it's not a given that their safety is going to fall for our design anyways.

Foles HAS to be better at going through his progressions instead of throwing at first read regardless of where the D is at.

The safety wasn't going to be drawn to Austin. He's playing the QB. Only thing Foles could have done was pump fake to Austin to get the safety to run that way. But Austin's route wasn't going to get him to do anything. His eyes are locked on Foles the entire time.

The thing is that it was still a winnable play. I can't tell where the safety is so All 22 would be nice but Tavon can fade to the sideline. Kendricks can fade to the right side of the field. Either player can make the play if Foles places the ball properly because he can throw it away from the safety. It's a tough throw but one he should be able to make. But he put the ball right in the safety's wheelhouse. There's nobody else back there. If you want to go to Kendricks, throw the ball more towards the right hashmark and let him run to the open space. Yes, it forces him to adjust but it also keeps the safety from being able to get there. But he lofted it up right to the safety.

I don't see how Fisher can blame other players for this mistake. And frankly, there was an easy throw to be made on this play. Look at the bottom of the screen. Throw the ball to Britt (or whoever that WR is) on the sideline route. The CB is too deep to make a play and the LB dropping out of the blitz isn't going to be able to undercut it if you put air under it.

I take this back. This play was a loser. The WR at the bottom of the screen slipped coming out of his break so there was no throw to be made there. There's no throw to be made to Kendricks.

The only throw to be made is leading Austin out of bounds. And it's a tough throw.

Foles should have either thrown a fade to Austin leading him out of bounds or thrown it away towards Austin's side.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We can only know that if we know the route Tavon is supposed to run. If he's supposed to cut it over to the sidelines, then it's a bad play design and he rounds that route off bad. You'd think, with a single high safety, that Tavon should have taken it straight up field while Kendricks is running *his* route. That splits the safety's decision and he has to commit to one or the other. Chances are, once Tavon blew by his defender, that the safety would be more interested in helping out on that side. Not a ton of time to let that play develop either, so... who the hell knows.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.(meaning I'm not understanding what you mean by Austin taking it straight up-field) Are you saying he should have released outside? Because he faded to the sideline after stacking the defender. But again, the safety wasn't focused on Austin's route. He read Foles's eyes the entire time. Personally, I think Foles should have held it longer if he were trying to get the Kendricks route. And eyed Austin. Force the safety more towards the sideline and let Kendricks work his way towards the right hash. But he released too early for Kendricks. Either ways, I'm just not seeing what Austin is being blamed for here.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
yep safety was fixed on Kendricks the entire time. doesn't matter if Tavon ran a better route cus all you gotta do is watch Foles cus he fuckin stares down Kendricks from the snap. he obviously didn't scan the field before the snap and didn't even think before the throw. Tavon had barely gotten 10 yards before that ball was out so it wouldn't have pulled the safety anyways. not to mention that either way he threw a bad ball. i understand it was crunch time and you gotta take chances but that was absolute shit.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.(meaning I'm not understanding what you mean by Austin taking it straight up-field) Are you saying he should have released outside? Because he faded to the sideline after stacking the defender. But again, the safety wasn't focused on Austin's route. He read Foles's eyes the entire time. Personally, I think Foles should have held it longer if he were trying to get the Kendricks route. And eyed Austin. Force the safety more towards the sideline and let Kendricks work his way towards the right hash. But he released too early for Kendricks. Either ways, I'm just not seeing what Austin is being blamed for here.
It almost looked like it should have been an out-n-up by Tavon, but I have no idea, because I don't know what his route was designed to be on that play. In order for Fisher to say it was "lazy" by someone, and he was the only other one in the play who could have affected its outcome, it almost has to be him he's talking about. So, did he run it right? The rest of what you said I agree with. It could have developed longer and Tavon could have forced the safety to account for him more than Kendricks (if it was designed the way I think it should have been). Foles does give him a cursory look (Tavon), but it wasn't long enough to make the safety bite, IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
TAustin didn't slow up until the ball was WELL out of Foles hand. The S made the right play on the ball, Foles had a little to much on it maybe and the WR would have been able to get to it had he been moving to the right. So that was possibly the lazy route.

It wasn't Austin for sure.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
maybe... just maybe... their safety just read the play... that shit happens ;)

A thought: when we intercept the ball it's awesome defence play, but we get intercepted it's poor offense play :whistle:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
TAustin didn't slow up until the ball was WELL out of Foles hand. The S made the right play on the ball, Foles had a little to much on it maybe and the WR would have been able to get to it had he been moving to the right. So that was possibly the lazy route.

It wasn't Austin for sure.
This is true, but I think @jrry32 and I are on the same page in that the play should have developed a little longer. If it did, and Tavon actually didn't let up, the safety would have had a more difficult decision to make. Especially when he has his back to the side of the field Kendricks is running to after the snap. So you have to wonder if maybe everything about it was fucked up. Tavon let up AND Foles threw too early. Another second (literally one more second) and he would have had one very clear option, I think.

7Lp86ab.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
maybe... just maybe... their safety just read the play... that crap happens ;)

A thought: when we intercept the ball it's awesome defence play, but we get intercepted it's poor offense play :whistle:
Well, we're not trained to worry about how their offense screws up.
That's up to their fans to dissect.

That said, it was a good play by the safety. A very good play. He read it perfectly.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It was a good play from the safety, and as someone else stated, the play could have been more successful, if our TE ran a post. Not enough separation, between TA, LK, and the safety. Only chance might have been if Foles missiles the ball, instead of putting a lot of arc on it, but then it would have been a contested catch at best.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
would have rather it had been the other way around, but yeh, shit happens, love the way he gets dumped into the ground on that tackle though :p always a silver lining ;)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is true, but I think @jrry32 and I are on the same page in that the play should have developed a little longer. If it did, and Tavon actually didn't let up, the safety would have had a more difficult decision to make. Especially when he has his back to the side of the field Kendricks is running to after the snap. So you have to wonder if maybe everything about it was freaked up. Tavon let up AND Foles threw too early. Another second (literally one more second) and he would have had one very clear option, I think.

7Lp86ab.jpg

The safety made that move because his CB had lost the WR and if he didn't he risks gving up a TD.

He broke in that direction because the WR beat the CB and he had to give help.

That's what I see when I watch the vid.......

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It was a good play from the safety, and as someone else stated, the play could have been more successful, if our TE ran a post. Not enough separation, between TA, LK, and the safety. Only chance might have been if Foles missiles the ball, instead of putting a lot of arc on it, but then it would have been a contested catch at best.
I think I could have caught that ball as their safety :p

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It almost looked like it should have been an out-n-up by Tavon, but I have no idea, because I don't know what his route was designed to be on that play. In order for Fisher to say it was "lazy" by someone, and he was the only other one in the play who could have affected its outcome, it almost has to be him he's talking about. So, did he run it right? The rest of what you said I agree with. It could have developed longer and Tavon could have forced the safety to account for him more than Kendricks (if it was designed the way I think it should have been). Foles does give him a cursory look (Tavon), but it wasn't long enough to make the safety bite, IMO.

Maybe? I don't think so but I don't know. It looks like Tavon did what you typically do as a WR when you beat a press CB. You stack him and then you start to fade to the sideline in order to create space from safeties in the middle of the field and give your QB a more open area to throw to. Although, he did fade harder than you typically want your WR to. So maybe it was supposed to be something else. I don't know.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
This is true, but I think @jrry32 and I are on the same page in that the play should have developed a little longer. If it did, and Tavon actually didn't let up, the safety would have had a more difficult decision to make. Especially when he has his back to the side of the field Kendricks is running to after the snap. So you have to wonder if maybe everything about it was freaked up. Tavon let up AND Foles threw too early. Another second (literally one more second) and he would have had one very clear option, I think.

7Lp86ab.jpg
But, because TA didn't stop until after the ball was thrown, we'll never know. Looking at this diagram, if the other receiver ran a post, then they really would have forced the safety to make a decision. I think Foles should have zipped it to Austin on the sideline, he was breaking away from his guy. Floating the ball, either way, gets it picked, if the team has a good center fielder.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But, because TA didn't stop until after the ball was thrown, we'll never know. Looking at this diagram, if the other receiver ran a post, then they really would have forced the safety to make a decision. I think Foles should have zipped it to Austin on the sideline, he was breaking away from his guy. Floating the ball, either way, gets it picked, if the team has a good center fielder.
Zactly what I'm saying. The only thing none of us know is whether or not Tavon should have stopped, or if he ran the right route at all. I'm just trying to figure out why Fisher would say someone "away from the play" ran a "lazy" route. Only two there who could have been involved are Kendricks and Tavon. And Kendricks was involved in the play, so by process of elimination....

What did Tavon do that was lazy?

I honestly don't know, but it's fun to talk about football stuff once in a while. (y)

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Our O hadn't been firing all game, just wasn't our day. the problems teams know we're not going to run a 10+ yarder on them at the moment so they cover the pass, once we fix that we should be scoring some TDs :)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Zactly what I'm saying. The only thing none of us know is whether or not Tavon should have stopped, or if he ran the right route at all. I'm just trying to figure out why Fisher would say someone "away from the play" ran a "lazy" route. Only two there who could have been involved are Kendricks and Tavon. And Kendricks was involved in the play, so by process of elimination....

What did Tavon do that was lazy?

I honestly don't know, but it's fun to talk about football stuff once in a while. (y)
I can tell you what he did that was lazy. And I don't think it has been mentioned yet.

I was taught, and coached players, to finish their routes, as long as the route is taking players away from the play. When that is not happening anymore, then you gravitate towards the play. There are a million things that can happen, and a reason why certain guys that are always around the play, make plays. For instance, he could have picked up a block. He could have made a tackle deep in their territory, he could have caused, or recovered a fumble. You would coach a defensive player the same way. The opposite corner in this play "LCB", after seeing the ball release, he should take the immediate best angle towards the play for similar reasons.

GR should get some props for going after the ball, and making one hell of an open field tackle, which could have caused a fumble.

Regarding Fisher, at first glance, it looks like Tavon does give up on the route. And, we don't know if he was supposed to do something different, like run a deep out, or something, as others have said.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well honestly "lazy" was my term. What he said was that they should have run the play better. When pressed he admitted someone away from the play affected it but wouldn't say who. He even said "go find it" or something similar to the press.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fisher pulled the "manu ran the wrong route" line to cover for a horrible throw. Why? Foles wasn't replacing a legend like Bulger. No need to coddle him.

Rainram

Starter
I think this is the spread offense nightmare revisited. Too soon for a run first team. This should be a pass first team until the run game develops naturally. We have all the tools for an air game.

I'd be fine with it. But then they need trot out less run formations with 2 TE sets.

But I'd be fine with Gurley in a single back with Austin, Britt, Stedman and Cook in various sets. They just don't do that hardly cuz it's not their scheme.

I wouldn't mind seeing it a few times though.