So who ran the lazy route?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In yesterday's press conference Fish alluded to the team running that play with the INT better. When pressed he didn't give up the name of who failed to draw the safety, so was hoping someone caught who it was...

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://a.video.nfl.com/films/2015/N..._pit_will_allen_interception_303616_1200k.mp4

Here's the play for reference.

Looks to me like Tavon is the culprit at the top of the screen. Looks like he's trying to work a go route but gives up on it about 10-15 yards down the field. The safety is then moving towards the center of the field.
Am I missing something or did it look like Tavon could've gone to the house there? He definitely beats that press and nobody in the league is just gonna chase him down.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Except the safety would have been over the top of Austin had it been thrown his way. That said had he run the go route hard the safety may have stayed over him instead of drifting back to Kendricks.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
the team running that play with the INT better.

Looks to me like Tavon is the culprit at the top of the screen.
Good catch Merlin & thanks for the find ChrisW....

I swear, it's like that do your job thing is simply forgotten by some players..especially when they are NOT the primary wr....Did they ever see the video of Jerry fucking Rice (yeah I'm about to quote a fucking 9er in here, if you can't handle it, don't read it) running every route hard as hell...that's why, you never give the defender/defense a tell that you may NOT be the primary wr...funny how Foles didn't say he was expecting some different coverage, just he's gotta get better...Respect him for that...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Am I missing something or did it look like Tavon could've gone to the house there? He definitely beats that press and nobody in the league is just gonna chase him down.

Yea, I think that was the play design. Have Tavon draw the safety, and hit Kendricks down the middle.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Yea, I think that was the play design. Have Tavon draw the safety, and hit Kendricks down the middle.
I agree, but "hey Nick", don't be afraid to deviate from the play if it doesn't go as designed. That was the perfect time for a throw away and move on to the next one.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kendricks had no idea where the ball was the way I saw it , and why not both him and Austin run the route and throw to the open guy . Why have only one primary receiver ? Besides that , throw the ball away or throw it where only your guy could catch it

Rainram

Starter
Eh. This throw is on Nick. Period.

Tavon's route was half-assed. True. But the Safety was watching Foles the whole way...even though he tried to look him off a bit. Had Tavon ran it better (which he damn well should have), Foles has too get the ball out when he does...but the Safety woulda made the easy pick regardless on that throw.

Play design wise...you gotta think with a single high safety, and two others in coverage on one side of the field that Kendrick's has gotta get more lateral. I don't know that there was time for the play to develop that way in this case, but Kendricks ran more of a seam/go-route, where I think a post would have been money.

Tavon ran his route lazy, but the play was designed to use Tavon as just a decoy to draw the safety. It was a single read. Safety was just in good position.
Kendricks ran what he was supposed to, but I wonder if he should have read the Safety better/different.
Nick had two options...
- 1. Put some umph into. Drive that ball, hoping Kendricks can adjust from his seam to more of a skinny post.
- 2. If you're gonna float a ball like that, you gotta put it where your guy can get it and nobody else can.

Bad throw on Nick's part. I'm still in his corner. But bad throw.

I would be curious as to whether or not Kendricks was supposed to break it off a bit? Nick tried to lead him away from the safety a tad, toward the middle.

Sorry...got to rambling there. Regardless, Nick made a bad throw...even if his WRs/TEs could have helped him more.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
And thats why coaches tell them to finish their routes.....

It would have forced the safety to respect the go route. Even so it was a poorly thrown ball.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree that TA should have kept going but it didn't impact that play. The Safety is squarely watching Kendricks the entire time and never even looked TA's way after Kendricks crosses the line of scrimmage.

Foles threw a ball he should have never thrown.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I agree that TA should have kept going but it didn't impact that play. The Safety is squarely watching Kendricks the entire time and never even looked TA's way after Kendricks crosses the line of scrimmage.

Foles threw a ball he should have never thrown.
Yeah, that's one of Foles' biggest problem. Guy's got to read the defense and not just go with the design, sometimes the design just doesn't work, but he threw it in there anyways. Like the announcers I'm convinced he 100% believed that the safety wasn't there, which means that he never once scanned the field to see if that was the case.

Sometimes you've got to take the decisions into your own hands, if Foles can't do that then we're in for a long season.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
People saying it didn't impact the play. I'd like to see how many routes Tavon half-assed this game. Maybe the safety read something and new he wasn't getting the ball, so he went to Kendricks.

First round pick, getting millions of dollars and he half-asses a route that isn't mean to be thrown his way. I'm sorry, but I don't want a team of prima-donna Tony Warrick type guys. I'm tired of the laziness.

Edit: Hopefully this is why they are bringing in Nick Toon. The kid isn't the most talented, but if he works his ass off, let him play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://a.video.nfl.com/films/2015/N..._pit_will_allen_interception_303616_1200k.mp4

Here's the play for reference.

Looks to me like Tavon is the culprit at the top of the screen. Looks like he's trying to work a go route but gives up on it about 10-15 yards down the field. The safety is then moving towards the center of the field.

Thanks for putting that up.

You know, first off, gotta give Cigs credit for some good play design there. He is accurately anticipating what the defense would be in for that given formation/down, and using Tavon in attacking the safety and their tendencies.

Second, Foles clearly owned up for the bad decision, which it was. And I like that he didn't allude to anyone not doing their job too, good leadership there.

As to Tavon... It just seems to me that play is a great indicator of why this team comes up short. Tavon not running the route hard because he knows he's not gonna get the ball. It just goes right along with the drops, running the wrong depth on third down, etc.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the offensive meeting room when they review this stuff. How does Cigs handle it? Really that is gonna be the primary factor in whether this offense ever gets off the ground with consistent good play. Does he sit Tavon on the bench for a week perhaps? Givens can, after all, run a go route. Does he do the same with Cook to demonstrate that this stuff won't be allowed?

The "we're gonna fix it" stuff only goes so far IMO. At some point when you have repeat offenders you gotta show them their playing time is not a given and not allow them to take it for granted.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yeah, that's one of Foles' biggest problem. Guy's got to read the defense and not just go with the design, sometimes the design just doesn't work, but he threw it in there anyways. Like the announcers I'm convinced he 100% believed that the safety wasn't there, which means that he never once scanned the field to see if that was the case.

Sometimes you've got to take the decisions into your own hands, if Foles can't do that then we're in for a long season.

I would like to hear what Foles has to say. The safety did fade TA's way so maybe Foles just got fooled and thought the safety had committed to the outside?

Really though...WTF is that being Kendricks?!? Why is he going deep when we had the completion and first down to him underneath?

I remember having this discussion with Shane Gray after the trade. We both agreed, Foles WILL make those throws all season, and that's just fine. The reason that didn't worry us is because the target was supposed to be Britt or Quick who make that catch 9 times out of 10.

I don't want to Kendricks bash, but is he really that guy? Zero targets for Bailey, zero runs for TA, and Kendricks deep with TA and Britt out there?!? I always thought Schotty over thought and tried too hard to be unpredictable. Is Ciggi a chop off the same block?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I would like to hear what Foles has to say. The safety did fade TA's way so maybe Foles just got fooled and thought the safety had committed to the outside?

Really though...WTF is that being Kendricks?!? Why is he going deep when we had the completion and first down to him underneath?

I remember having this discussion with Shane Gray after the trade. We both agreed, Foles WILL make those throws all season, and that's just fine. The reason that didn't worry us is because the target was supposed to be Britt or Quick who make that catch 9 times out of 10.

I don't want to Kendricks bash, but is he really that guy? Zero targets for Bailey, zero runs for TA, and Kendricks deep with TA and Britt out there?!? I always thought Schotty over thought and tried too hard to be unpredictable. Is Ciggi a chop off the same block?

Yea, the target is a head scratcher. It's like we are still trying to outsmart our opponents instead of letting our play makers do what they are supposed to. We all gave Schotty a lot of shit for this. But when you combine this play, with the special teams trickery (which works most of the time) it all points to Fisher designing these plays.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

I agree, Kendricks never should have got that look. Especially after a huge drop earlier when the only thing contesting him was some fumes left over from the fire. I don't put the ball into his hands late at all, but I'm guessing they were trying to get away from Britt since at that point the Steelers were probably quadruple covering him.

I'm beginning to think there's more to the offense than just bad OCs, I don't know. I can believe that maybe one couldn't figure out how to involve Bailey or TA, but two in a row? One of whom just got here? I don't know, that seems hard to swallow. We also know Fisher's got an ego and likes to have his hand in things he probably shouldn't.

I'm beginning to wonder if Fisher's doing things to keep the offense running 'his' way regardless of what is necessary. I mean I just can't believe that two radically different OCs are doing things the exact same way, especially after watching Schott get obliterated for years over it.

Rainram

Starter
Gonna disagree with some of the more recent posts here on the play call.

Kendricks dropped a pass earlier...a big one. That shouldn't mean we won't go back to him. Gotta make plays.

The play itself. Good design (just a bad throw!). Come out in a run formation, defense brings 8 in the box. You know that you'll have Kendricks on a LBer...who he beats by the way. The play design created a mismatch, and at least on that level we won. The safety didn't clear, and Nick read it wrong. But if the safety bites more on TA that's a huge gainer (although he probably overthrows Kendricks anyway).

My two things are (as I mentioned above)
- Nick needed to step into that throw and put more zip on it. The ball was up there way too long.
- I think maybe there should be a read there for the TE. He needs to see that safety not drifting to Austin's side at all, and he needs to turn it into a post or something.

Other good options out of that set though...
- Have TA run a slant or curl and Kendricks a corner or out....That's easy.

But I don't have a problem with Cignetti on that. We had a good match-up. Took a shot at a big play on first down.