So, which Ram position groups look better/worse than those that finished ‘19?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, this is a different way to look at relative Ram positional status. Very subjective and it’s still mid-FA and weeks before the draft but it’s just for funsies so here goes...

Remember, we’re trying to rate the projected ‘20 starters vs the starters that finished the ‘19 season.

Offense

QB. Goff should be slightly better if only because of one more year of experience, the influence of O’Connell, slightly more experienced OL, and projected improved RB stable, not to mention a year older and wiser McVay. Grade QB improved.

RB. I expect a new quality RB to be added in the draft. The new RB tandem of Henderson/rookie should be at least the equal of the arthritic Gurley, if not an outright upgrade. Grade RB equal.

OL. Should be improved overall. Whit will be a year older but healthy. Corbett, Edwards, and Evans should all benefit from a years experience and gelling together. Blythe at C should finally be 100% healthy. Hav might have a bounce back season. A C might be the pick at 52 if a stud falls, but even if not this OL should be improved over the late ‘19 version. Grade improved.

TE. Are you kidding me? I see an even more improved TE Corp with a healthy Everett, a continuation of Higbee’s explosion, and some more great Mundt blocking in running game. Grade slight improvement.

WR. Probably equal here unless Cooks is 100% with no concussion issues. So, who knows? Grade equal.

Defense

DL. Obvious improvement with ARob and Brockers back. Grade significantly improved.

Edge. Unknown but probably slightly degraded. Reason I say slightly is because Matthews wasn’t all that. He was a liability in run D and most of his sack production resulted from QB being flushed to him by play of teammates. That’s why he was released. Missing Fowler might hurt, but then again how consistent was Fowler, really? And how much did he benefit from AD’s presence? Heck, Floyd is a better run defender and might also benefit from AD’s presence. Lots of candidates for edge already on the roster and surely one of them can replace Matthews. Grade slightly regressed.

ILB. Littleton was a helluva coverage/playmaker type but not very strong as a run defender. One of Howard/Young/draft pick might be able to somewhat replace Littleton’s effect. Remember, Rams/Staley chose to let Littleton walk when they could have extended him if he was felt to be a ‘must have’. Kiser should be an upgrade at MLB over Reeder. Grade slightly regressed (but net effect is only slightly).

Outside CB. Should be improved with a half season of gelling between Ramsey/Hill. Plus Staley is more likely to play to their strengths by using them in more man schemes than Wade ever did. That’s huge. Grade improved.

Nickel CB. Either Long or Williams should eventually be fine as an NRC replacement, but neither as yet has his experience so expect a learning curve as opposing QB’s are forced to test them. Grade regression (at least for first half of season).

S. JJ is an upgrade over the ‘19 Weddle, no question. Rapp should be improved after his rookie season of experience. I do wonder if we have a FS on the roster now that Christian is gone that can enable Rapp to continue to play that hybrid-LB role that worked so nicely last tear. Look for a FS draft pick. Grade substantial upgrade.

ST. Let’s face it, GZ’s departure creates a big hole that Bonamego must fill, probably with a rookie (I’m not wild about any FA kickers out there, tbh). Also, Bonamego has to earn our trust, so there is that. Grade regression, possibly substantial.

So there you have it. Overall more pluses than minuses. And we still have most of FA, possible trades, the draft, UDFA’s, and final cut opportunities ahead before opening day.

I’ll be the first to admit that my glass is almost always more half full than half empty, but I am cautiously optimistic. This ‘20 Ram team will be competitive and definitely in the playoff hunt. If we catch a break or two via the draft and/or reduced injuries we just might be in some SB conversations.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I think you missed the most important position, coaching.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
HC- Same
OC- ? Kevin O'Connell over McVay/ Kromer/ Waldron
DC- ? Brandon Staley over Wade
ST- ? John Bonamego over Bones

QB-Same- Goff/ Wolford
RB-(n)Brown/ Henderson/ Kelly
TE-(y)Higbee/ Everett/ Mundt/ Blanton/ Wolf
WR-(y)Kupp/ Woods/ Cooks/ Reynolds/ Webster/ Dortch
OT- (n)Havenstein/ Whitworth/ Evans
OG-(y)Edwards/ Corbett/ Brewer/ Kolone
OC-:unsure: Blythe/ Allen/ Shelton/ Trewyn

DL-(y)Donald/ Brockers/ Robinson/ Gaines/ Smart/ Joseph-Day/ Copeland
ER-same- Samson/ Okoronkwo/ Floyd/ Lawler/ Holland/ Polite/ Patrick
LB-same- Kiser/ Howard/ Young/ Reeder
CB-same-Ramsey/ Hill/ Williams/ Long/ Alexander
SA-(y)-JJ III/ Rapp/ Gervase/ Scott

K-:cautious:
P-(y)Hekker

Tano

Legend
McVay is stuck at home, I his daily routine is probably something along the lines of 6 hours of sleep, 16 hours of playbook development and 2 hours knocking boots with his fiance.
The 2 hours will probably benefit the Rams the most

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coaching upgrade
Special teams as of now downgrade
Qb-the same
RB-downgrade
Wr-same(but excellent unit)
Te- upgrade because I expect more usage
Offensive line-the same
Defense as a whole is a upgrade I’m very high on our linebackers corners and safeties. I think Williams is a stud a CB and I think the combination of Howard and Ebukam at linebacker is gonna be fun to watch

team as a whole with the new coaching added and young guys getting to play I will say upgrade but that might not translate to more wins

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
HC- Same
OC- ? Kevin O'Connell over McVay/ Kromer/ Waldron
DC- ? Brandon Staley over Wade
ST- ? John Bonamego over Bones

QB-Same- Goff/ Wolford
RB-(n)Brown/ Henderson/ Kelly
TE-(y)Higbee/ Everett/ Mundt/ Blanton/ Wolf
WR-(y)Kupp/ Woods/ Cooks/ Reynolds/ Webster/ Dortch
OT- (n)Havenstein/ Whitworth/ Evans
OG-(y)Edwards/ Corbett/ Brewer/ Kolone
OC-:unsure: Blythe/ Allen/ Shelton/ Trewyn

DL-(y)Donald/ Brockers/ Robinson/ Gaines/ Smart/ Joseph-Day/ Copeland
ER-same- Samson/ Okoronkwo/ Floyd/ Lawler/ Holland/ Polite/ Patrick
LB-same- Kiser/ Howard/ Young/ Reeder
CB-same-Ramsey/ Hill/ Williams/ Long/ Alexander
SA-(y)-JJ III/ Rapp/ Gervase/ Scott

K-:cautious:
P-(y)Hekker

I question
- as of now we don’t know what the draft will bring so there will be upgrades from this list.

RB - of course,but I believe in the new rookie will be better.
OT- Noteboom ?? Evans as a backup & Big Rob Hav better be better. I also think Whitworth brings a new attitude 2020. His Future ????

C- Blythe starting the season healthy & signing a 1 year prove it deal. Upgraded. He is a much better C than a RG.

Pass rush ??? Don’t know how that could be even.

CB ? Even ?? No way with the way this group played. I liked Robey Coleman,but these young guys should be a lot better in 2020. D.williams I liked better inside than out. He has excellent hands,size,& covers bigger players well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Better: DL.
Worse: RB, ILB, OLB.
We'll see: Everything else. Draft should change a couple positions to the better category.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Coaching
DL
S (J Johnson)

Special Teams

So far, anyway. A lot of areas I feel about the same as last year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Coaching
DL
S (J Johnson)

Special Teams

So far, anyway. A lot of areas I feel about the same as last year.

This season is we’re coaching is really going to play apart.

2020’draft the way The Rams & McSnead have it set up. Should be all about the playmakers.

Mcvay his rookie season talked about playmakers & swag.

Lost Peters & Talib(RAMsey) =
Weddle
Clay
Fowler
Gurley

2020’draft should be about the swag
I’d like J.Hurt as a backup QB & J.Taylor at RBReminds me of Elliot& Dak a bit?

A Edge rusher & WR would be nice.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

We are definitely worse at LB going in. We don't have anyone on the roster who has come close to putting up the #s of fowler and littleton. As for the "struggled against the run" mantra I've seen repeated here, upgrading the interior DL was critical if our new ILBs are gonna have any success. I don't care how good your MLBs are, if nobody is eating up blockers up front, your LBs will struggle.

RB does not have a proven player who can be relied upon to handle 20+ touches week in and week out. So going in, I'd say we're worse off.

Safety will be an upgrade. Even Weddle himself knew he was done. JJ3 and Rapp together sounds like an exciting duo. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

The OL garners just a bit more optimism from me than it did last season at this time. Edwards should be starting and the OL didn't even start improving until he got on the field. I still think we should draft a top end starting Center and be done with it.

Ram65

Legend
The coordinator changes should help both the offensive and defense. The draft and some possible tweaks should have some effect as well on the Rams performance.

QB Jared Goff improved and 43 covers the reasons.
QB. Goff should be slightly better if only because of one more year of experience, the influence of O’Connell, slightly more experienced OL, and projected improved RB stable, not to mention a year older and wiser McVay. Grade QB improved.

RB I would say it could go either way. We don't know who will be on the final roster. Henderson looks to be the starter and I think he can be an improvement. At the same time, it's hard to replace TG's 14 TD. Until we see who the Rams add it's a slight downgrade. However, there is a lot of room form improvement in the passing to the running backs.

WR looks about the same. If Cooks stays healthy it could be better.

TE should be better. A full year of Higbee as a go-to target makes them better. A healthy Everett could increase production.

OL should be improved if only that many now have NFL experience. They also should be healthier as a group.

DL should be much stouter against the run. They also have a deeper rotation which should help later in games.

Edge/OLBers are a question mark. I want to see how the Rams deploy players. I wonder how much Floyd gets used with Ebucam, Obo and Polite on the edge and how much he will be used on the inside.

ILBer has similar question marks. They may have even more. There isn't much experience with Reeder, Kiser, Howard etc..

Secondary will obviously be better. The Rams will have Ramsey for a year and JJ back.

It could turn out that new defensive coordinator Brandon Staley uses different combinations that play to each player's strength at LBer. It's possible that Staley comes up with a great rotation. As a whole, I see the defense improving and it could be a significant improvement. I see the offense moving up getting somewhere between 2018 and 2019.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
Need a stud vet ILB and at least one more Interior OL who can start if needed as the season progresses. Otherwise we have our starters covered. I’d like to see the Rams pick up a vet or Draft pick at RB that could be a key contributor as well.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
remember this is 2020 starters vs 2019 finishers. also should be some holes filled in the draft but as of right now this is imo on where we are now.
coaching staff = no way to know now.
qb = no bortals slight down grade
ol = whitworth year older. havenstien a? offset youngens experience gain. about same
wr = no change at least till draft
rb = no gurley down grade.
dl = with brockers back a definite upgrade.
lb = definite down grade at least till draft.
db = jj back should offset coleman being gone. about the same
so that makes I no way to know.
3 about same at least till draft
2 down grade
1 definite up grade.
until we got brockers back i just didn't think we had enough draft picks to fill all the holes now i feel way better. just hope getting the big guy back didn't screw up some future plan like signing kupp.