So what is this team's identity?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not as upset as I was immediately following the game, so asking a legit question here along with some discussion and stream of consciousness. Basically if you had asked me that question before the season, I would have told you without blinking: "Defensive team with a play action, run-heavy offense."

Through two games some things are clear, however:

1. The Rams are not a defensive team. For now, over the first two games, the defense is struggling to get off the field. They played much better vs Seattle, but still one trend we saw both games is their inability to get off the field quickly. This is something we also saw (to a worse extent, granted) last season. Vs Seattle the issue was Wilson and timely passes and most of us figured hey no probs, he's a near-elite QB. Today though it was far worse, with a sieve of a run defense AND a QB who is absolutely not near-elite. We all have differing opinions here, but I cannot call this a defensive team when the defense cannot limit points or yards against an opponent like the Redskins.

2. A play action, run-heavy offense requires a running game. The Rams don't have a running game in either of the first two bouts. What is particularly disheartening is the way Callahan has parted the red sea so to speak in his overhaul of the Skins OL. That is pretty much the running game I imagined the Rams having this season.

Now, I do think we can look at last season and draw some parallels. I think the defense will at some point come around and maybe soon. But the fact here is that how long it takes them to do that is going to have an immense impact on this team. Why? Because by design it is supposed to be a major part of their identity. If you cannot live up to your identity you draft very high in the NFL.

The offense is a whole other story. They actually demonstrated some serious ability to move the ball in the passing game vs the Seahawks and that is why they're 1-1. But how are they going to get good at running the ball during the season so they can solidify the play action to maximize Foles ability? On paper we have GRob, Saffold, HStein, and Brown who are very physical players in the run game. But in both games the penetration killed any hope of consistently challenging either defense on the ground.

Can Gurley be expected to turn that around? Cunningham didn't in game one, despite his play on short passes and screens. Mason didn't in game two. Cook and Austin aren't going to either obviously even though both find themselves masquerading in the backfield or on halfback screens. The obvious answer is the OL needs to improve quickly.

So in closing the most confusing thing of all here is that this OL did its best work against the Seahawks in giving Foles just enough time to air that ball out. I find that very strange. In my mind now I'm wondering... Fish has Cigs running the passing game and Boras heavily involved in the run game. Is that gonna work? Are those two just trying to work out the kinks schematically? Or is it just the OL?

If you've gotten this far I'm starting to think maybe this offense needs to be opened up with heavy passing focus. Blasphemy right? Well maybe not. Foles has done that before with very good results. Maybe he can do it again with some good talent on the Rams roster.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Not as upset as I was immediately following the game, so asking a legit question here along with some discussion and stream of consciousness. Basically if you had asked me that question before the season, I would have told you without blinking: "Defensive team with a play action, run-heavy offense."

Through two games some things are clear, however:

1. The Rams are not a defensive team. For now, over the first two games, the defense is struggling to get off the field. They played much better vs Seattle, but still one trend we saw both games is their inability to get off the field quickly. This is something we also saw (to a worse extent, granted) last season. Vs Seattle the issue was Wilson and timely passes and most of us figured hey no probs, he's a near-elite QB. Today though it was far worse, with a sieve of a run defense AND a QB who is absolutely not near-elite. We all have differing opinions here, but I cannot call this a defensive team when the defense cannot limit points or yards against an opponent like the Redskins.

2. A play action, run-heavy offense requires a running game. The Rams don't have a running game in either of the first two bouts. What is particularly disheartening is the way Callahan has parted the red sea so to speak in his overhaul of the Skins OL. That is pretty much the running game I imagined the Rams having this season.

Now, I do think we can look at last season and draw some parallels. I think the defense will at some point come around and maybe soon. But the fact here is that how long it takes them to do that is going to have an immense impact on this team. Why? Because by design it is supposed to be a major part of their identity. If you cannot live up to your identity you draft very high in the NFL.

The offense is a whole other story. They actually demonstrated some serious ability to move the ball in the passing game vs the Seahawks and that is why they're 1-1. But how are they going to get good at running the ball during the season so they can solidify the play action to maximize Foles ability? On paper we have GRob, Saffold, HStein, and Brown who are very physical players in the run game. But in both games the penetration killed any hope of consistently challenging either defense on the ground.

Can Gurley be expected to turn that around? Cunningham didn't in game one, despite his play on short passes and screens. Mason didn't in game two. Cook and Austin aren't going to either obviously even though both find themselves masquerading in the backfield or on halfback screens. The obvious answer is the OL needs to improve quickly.

So in closing the most confusing thing of all here is that this OL did its best work against the Seahawks in giving Foles just enough time to air that ball out. I find that very strange. In my mind now I'm wondering... Fish has Cigs running the passing game and Boras heavily involved in the run game. Is that gonna work? Are those two just trying to work out the kinks schematically? Or is it just the OL?

If you've gotten this far I'm starting to think maybe this offense needs to be opened up with heavy passing focus. Blasphemy right? Well maybe not. Foles has done that before with very good results. Maybe he can do it again with some good talent on the Rams roster.

I'm not sure what can be done with the type of blocking we've gotten over the last 2 games. I've been a little critical of the run first mentality for some time, but the new OC hasn't done a bad job with play calling. It's been lack of execution on the OL.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
dr-jekyll-mr-hyde.jpg

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
In all seriousness---this is first and foremost NOT an elite defense. They can be an explosive defense, a playmaking defense, an exciting defense, but they are not an elite defense--yet. I do feel the linebackers need to be upgraded to get to that level. Their DC needs to adjust quicker to things as well. A lot of pieces in place for an elite level defense--but they are not there yet. I do think Ogletree can be one of those pieces in the linebacking corps.

They are not even close right now to a "running team". You need a better line for that and the line isn't close. A great RB can make them better--or at least look better, and maybe Gurley will do just that. But until the line gets much better they won't be able to wear that label.

Their identity is inconsistency. If their big playmakers(Tavon, Donald) have big games they can play with anyone. But they can also lose to anyone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Someone made a point in a thread before the season about our defense being too complex. That, if simplified... the players could just react, not think too much, and perhaps we'd have fewer busted plays.

I think this defense can be very good, but I wonder if it's too complex to be consistent.

Athos

Legend
In all seriousness---this is first and foremost NOT an elite defense. They can be an explosive defense, a playmaking defense, an exciting defense, but they are not an elite defense--yet.

This a million. We have the best dline in the NFL, but quite frankly, our back 7 may be below average as a unit. Not fast or strong enough or smart enough back there. Hence why they get destroyed in the run game. And give up big completion rates tho that is partly scheme by playing off.

We need a star LB. and probably a star DB. We have neither.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Someone made a point in a thread before the season about our defense being too complex. That, if simplified... the players could just react, not think too much, and perhaps we'd have fewer busted plays.

I think this defense can be very good, but I wonder if it's too complex to be consistent.

Is it too complex, or just a case of not reacting to what the offense does? We get pressure so the offense adjusts to quick passes and outside runs. But we don't adjust to that, we continue to play off coverage giving up the 5 yard pass. Why not play bump coverage and force an inexperienced guy like Cousins to hold just one more second to question his reads? Why continue to give up 1st down after 1st down?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
This a million. We have the best dline in the NFL, but quite frankly, our back 7 may be below average as a unit. Not fast or strong enough or smart enough back there. Hence why they get destroyed in the run game. And give up big completion rates tho that is partly scheme by playing off.

We need a star LB. and probably a star DB. We have neither.

McDonald is a star in the making.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I fear that right now our identity is an entire team of Cortland Finnegan - chirp and trash talk all game trying to get the other team so agitated they make mistakes. And depending on execution, that can lead to a pick six in our favor, but it can also lead to getting burned badly.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO, our identity through the first two games is we are inconsistent, which has been the case for the past three years. My biggest concern is the O-Line playing too soft and hesitant. If they can't figure it out, I don't care who's running or throwing the ball, we will not score points, and the defense will get worn out from playing so much. On the flip side of that coin, the defense needs to get off the field sooner too.

It's still early in the season with a bunch of football to play, but this Sunday they need to come out pissed off wanting to erase their embarrassing performance from yesterday.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Bi-Polar sums it up to me. World beaters one week, bag over the head the next. Consistency, like already mentioned, is like the stock market these days. Unbearably frustrating is all I can say. I knew at the beginning of the season that we were a "shutdown corner" away from being really special but I thought the level of play would be much more consistent. I'd like to think teams hate to see us on the schedule but I just don't think that is really the case. I've been excited about the debut of Gurley but I'm not sure he's going to make that big of a splash with no blocking. I'm glad he hasn't played yet and not sure he should until the OL can get a little more experience. But will that be too late for our playoff hopes? We can't start 1-4 and expect to see any post-season action. 2-3 is the absolute worst standing we can afford to have going into the bye week.