So, Should Case Keenum Start Regardless?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Overall, I hope the Rams take a fairly conservative approach with our rookie QB. If he's not ready, don't play him, even if he is better than Keenum. I'd hate to put Goff (or Wentz) in a situation where their confidence gets shaken right off the bat. Imagine if we started him before he's ready, he performs really poorly, and then we need to bench him? That would be a terrible scenario.

The Rams will have a honeymoon season in LA. Hopefully this prevents Fisher from feeling too much heat and then making a dumb decision that would jeopardize the career of the guy whose supposed to our franchise QB for the next DECADE.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
IMO unless he stinks it up in the preseason and doesn't look ready I start him day 1. I can't see trading all those picks to sit the bench unless his play dictates it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And Carson wentz will be the second overall pick in the draft and all Eagles expect Wentz to be the starting Quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles for the next 18 years....give or take....doesn't mean he's going to start week 1 as I am predicting goff will

Yes, that is because the Eagles have one QB they are paying 22 million dollars, they don't expect Wentz to start part of the advantage of Goff over Wentz is his ability to play day one and the fact the Rams only have Case Keenum standing in his way, quite frankly, if Goff can't beat out Keenum that would concern me greatly, I feel most Ram fans after the Rams select Goff expect him to start against San Francisco on the road on the 12th of September and if it's Keenum, that will be a disappointment, whereas in Philadelphia, it's part of the plan.

I will make a prediction too Goff will start day one and the first play from scrimmage against the 49ers will be a hand off to Gurley.;)

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If he picks up the offense whatever that is for him then yes he starts game 1.
Goff can make throws and put balls into windows that Kennum can only dream of. So even if they limit the play book he's still a huge upgrade.

Another question is how much the play book will change with Goff. It can be expanded over Kennum's greatly so the rest of the O has to adapt to that.

I don't see the early schedule as a problem. They don't play a bad team all year so what's the point of saving him. If he can't handle adversity at the start it's a wasted trade up.

fearsomefour

Legend
They will both have weaknesses.
Wentz, slower to read and can stare down receivers....Goff needing to learn to take snaps/drops ect.
I don't see the rush.
One good thing with Fisher he does seem pretty immune to outside pressures. Donald didn't start for a bit, Gurley was eased in. But, the QB position is its own monster. If Keenum plays well and the team gets off to a 4-2 start....well, there is no real need to rush a guy in there.
In most cases, regardless of talent level, a team is writing off a good part of a season by starting a rookie QB. Very, very rarely does a guy come in and light it up. Good games here and there, yes. Sustained, consistent perform for a first year? No.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
You play the guy that gives you the best chance to win. Period. That being said, if the coaches believe it's close, I'm with @DaveFan'51 and let Keenum start the first two against our division rivals, and let Goff step in against Tampa.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I would say yes, start Keenum. If Keenum wins us games, then keep playing him. If we start having a losing record, then put the rookie in.

jap

Legend
Case is the incumbent starting QB . . . for now! Les spoke very openly of the need to have the starting QB candidates fight it out between each other---something the Horns failed to do last season when they prematurely anointed Nick as the Redeemer. Pre-season intensity has a certain level. Regular season games carry that level up a few notches. Playoff intensity is the highest there is. A new rookie QB has to earn the confidence of the coaches that he can handle the intensity gear change before he is allowed to run the show.

Case has limitations to affect his ability to be truly effective. Either of the top two rookie QB candidates can throw the rock further and with better accuracy & touch. If Jerad is selected, I would prefer that he be inserted as soon as he is comfortable with the playbook, even if it has to be scaled back initially, and with the rapport he has with his receivers (WRs, TEs, RBs). We're here to kick ass, especially in the NFC West, and we need our most talented ass kicker at the helm. I want a sweep of our division this season and over the next decade or so. Our days of looking up from the cellar are over.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think there should be an open competition and the best guy should start.

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
There should be no hurry to start a QB just because of where they are picked in the draft. My totally wild guess is if Wentz is the pick, Keenum starts for a while. If Goff is the pick, he gets the nod by the first regular season game......

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Tricky question

Should CK start? I guess that would depend on if the new guy is ready

The real question should be will Fisher start a rookie QB week one, judging by his first 4 years here I'd say a snowball has a better chance in hell than Fisher trotting a rook QB week one

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You play the guy that gives you the best chance to win. Period.

This is the answer. It's also why most teams that take a rookie QB high and then say they're going to sit him end up starting him. Bortles is a great example of this, the dude was almost as raw as Lynch is but they ended up needing to play him and it was ugly.

Goff and Wentz are both super intelligent dudes though. And both are far better prepared to start early without it being a catastrophe. And most important of all, the Rams have an elite RB behind them as well as a young and up and coming OL in front of them. So IMO the job is going to be wide open from day one in camp.

As to predictions on what will happen I suspect Keenum and Mannion will battle for the starting nod. IMO it will be Keenum but he's not going to play consistently at the level he would need to in order to keep a top draft pick off the field. As soon as the kid's ready he will start getting game snaps and by the end of the year he'll be starting.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Keenum's keeping everyone on the bench.
Forever.

mgclw2bz3l1kclnzg.jpg

True. He's gonna be like a mirror image Wally Pipp. You know...where he never gets injured...and Goff holds a clip board for like...12 years.

:rant: "I consider myself (self self...) the luckiest man (rant rant...) on the face of the earth!!"

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hell yeah....you don't BENCH the #1 pick in the draft......

If Mannion looks decent in camp, I'm trading/cutting Case & Nick......pronto

nighttrain

Legend
Yes, that is because the Eagles have one QB they are paying 22 million dollars, they don't expect Wentz to start part of the advantage of Goff over Wentz is his ability to play day one and the fact the Rams only have Case Keenum standing in his way, quite frankly, if Goff can't beat out Keenum that would concern me greatly, I feel most Ram fans after the Rams select Goff expect him to start against San Francisco on the road on the 12th of September and if it's Keenum, that will be a disappointment, whereas in Philadelphia, it's part of the plan.

I will make a prediction too Goff will start day one and the first play from scrimmage against the 49ers will be a hand off to Gurley.;)
or a screen to Gurley
train

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmm, Someone not on this list (aka Hecker) is 150-1.

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
I think a few games sitting while the O line gets settled in would help either rookie. Hate to see one get knocked out because the line wasn't quite ready.