(So sad): All indications' Rams will pass on Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
i'd call his game breaking ability elite.

not too many receivers that can bull doze a corner and take it for 6'. or take a short pass and break it over and over again.....josh gordon did it a lot last season (talkin about their abilities to make somethin out of nothin)
I think he's pretty good after the catch, takes good angles, doesn't go down easy, but doesn't really show elite strength, speed, or quickness, imo.

The one thing I'll give him is that he seems to have an aggressive mentality that not many WRs share, limbs flailing all over the place, whatever it takes to get that extra yard. I don't take a WR in the top 5 because of that, though.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd be a little surprised if the Rams took Watkins at 2. Now if they traded down a few and he was still there, it would not surprise me at all. If the Rams ending up picking #2 overall, it will be Clowney and if he is gone, Mack. That's what my "Eight Ball" is saying.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Watkins aint a pimple on Holts ass. Stats schmats, Holts talent demanded the ball in a time when colleges didn't throw all that much .
So could we quit crying about Watkins "getting away" as was said earlier elite o-line talent transcends eras and trends,the game is was and will always be won in the proverbial trenches

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If i knew i was getting a Boldin-type receiver with better speed...i would absolutely draft Watkins at #2.

iced

I think he's pretty good after the catch, takes good angles, doesn't go down easy, but doesn't really show elite strength, speed, or quickness, imo.

The one thing I'll give him is that he seems to have an aggressive mentality that not many WRs share, limbs flailing all over the place, whatever it takes to get that extra yard. I don't take a WR in the top 5 because of that, though.

i think his combinaton and speed is what seperates him from most. a good comparison i've heard is anquan boldin but faster - and i think way better after the catch

scifiman

To me it is simple. Assuming Houston takes Clowney then we take Mathews or Robinson at #2. If no trade with 13 then take Gilbert if available if not then Dennard if not then Pryor. We then have really upgraded both offense and defense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i'd call his game breaking ability elite.

not too many receivers that can bull doze a corner and take it for 6'. or take a short pass and break it over and over again.....josh gordon did it a lot last season (talkin about their abilities to make somethin out of nothin)

That's not a single physical attribute.

I wonder what those "indications", are?

And... why would they tip their hand?

Personally; I think JT is posting what an outsider would conclude based on looking at the team. I believe what he's posted, because it makes sense. But, doubt that's came from any inside sources.

They also have no reason to use a smokescreen. The Texans aren't picking Watkins. They're no threat to take him. If the Rams want him, he's theirs.

jjab360

Legend
i think his combinaton and speed is what seperates him from most. a good comparison i've heard is anquan boldin but faster - and i think way better after the catch
Outside of the fact that I think that comparison is way off, that's still not a single attribute. Like I said jack of all trades, master of none.

jjab360

Legend
Also, I think it's great that Watkins gets decent separation on the few downfield routes he actually runs, but I'd like to see him come away with a ton more contested catches before the ridiculous Boldin/Fitzgerald/Julio/A.J. comparisons come rolling in. Those types of catches are what make those guys special, as well as things like elite hands for Fitzgerald and A.J, elite strength/physicality for Boldin and Julio, and elite speed for Julio.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Watkins is the jack of all trades, master of none, I can't see a guy like that at any position going second overall in a draft with as much talent as this one.

LOL, that ends this conversation!! :eek:

jjab360

Legend
LOL, that ends this conversation!! :eek:
Hard to take that seriously from the guy that said he runs harder than Marshawn Lynch.

Some of us actually look at more than highlights and see what Watkins for what he is.

Slappy967

Starter
Take the BPA and call it a day. I feel Robinson isn't ready and like Matthews/Watkins more from a starting from day 1 perspective. That being said I don't get paid to know more then Snisher so I trust there judgment.

iced

That's not a single physical attribute.

Disagree - i think it is an attribute.

Example: Tavon may have elite speed but we've seen plenty of people who can run a fast straight line (donnie avery/heyward-bey) - even mccuster is in a similar mold...but what separates him is what he can do with the ball in his hands. His game breaking ability

jjab360

Legend

Example: Tavon may have elite speed but we've seen plenty of people who can run a fast straight line (donnie avery?) - what separates him is what he can do with the ball in his hands. His game breaking ability
What separates him is his elite quickness, agility, open field vision, and shiftiness. Those are attributes, not "game breaking ability".

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Example: Tavon may have elite speed but we've seen plenty of people who can run a fast straight line (donnie avery/heyward-bey) - even mccuster is in a similar mold...but what separates him is what he can do with the ball in his hands. His game breaking ability

That's a combination of physical attributes. Tavon's combination of straight-line speed, change of direction ability, vision, burst, and hips combine to make him an elite "game-breaker".

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
semantics-85865063.jpg

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
We need a guy who can get open in tight coverage, catch the damn ball, break tackles and get YAC. That's my expert opinion. :)

iced

That's a combination of physical attributes. Tavon's combination of straight-line speed, change of direction ability, vision, burst, and hips combine to make him an elite "game-breaker".

exactly my point - some guys have all the physical ability in the world, yet don't know how to make it translate into a weapon. The guys that can do that, are, game breakers.

Brian Dawkins was one of the best all purpose backs and had plenty of physical talent - but he was never the "game breaker" whom marshall faulk was, who is also a very similar type of back.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hard to take that seriously from the guy that said he runs harder than Marshawn Lynch.

Some of us actually look at more than highlights and see what Watkins for what he is.

LOL, keep talking my friend, its getting more and more comical.

Let us examine what a former Ram LEGEND has to say on the matter: "Bruce, the franchise's all-time receiving leader with 14,109 yards, sang his praises in a radio interview on Thursday with Kevin Wheeler of ESPN 101.1 FM in St. Louis.

"Sammy Watkins is a guy that I've watched from his freshman year at Clemson," Bruce told Wheeler. "... There weren't many players in the country that could really run up and down the field against a Florida State, and Sammy Watkins did that. He did it for three years straight. He was a player to be reckoned with. You could see the growth and you could tell that he was an ascending player.

"If I had the opportunity to take this guy, it would be hard for me to say no because I know this guy is going to be a game-breaker, he's going to be a difference-maker, something that we could use on our current offense."

Bruce said he believes that even early in Watkins' NFL career, the receiver will command double teams from opposing defenses, which would open up the field for the Rams' running game as well as Sam Bradford and his other speedy targets such as Tavon Austin and Chris Givens. <Geez, I wonder who else said EXACTLY this (as I pat myself on the back)

"He's a guy that you have to account for," Bruce said.

Watkins had a strong three-year career at Clemson, where he caught 240 passes for 3,391 yards, gained 3,730 yards from scrimmage and scored 28 touchdowns.

And this from Former NFL scout Russ Lande (Read carefully): "I love Watkins. I think he's a dynamic kid. He may be the most aggressive violent runner with the ball after the catch for a receiver I can remember. He does a great job of getting his shoulders down and everything.

FINAL VERDICT

Watkins could be exactly the kind of player the Rams have been missing all these years.

The Rams showed in the second half of last season that they want to run the ball and were effective with Zac Stacy doing it, but the lack of playmakers on the perimeter allowed the best defenses they faced to key on the running game and keep Stacy in check.

Adding a player like Watkins could help them take the next step in the rough and rugged NFC West.