So now what Nick Foles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure, the sooner he's gone, the sooner we can forget some of the miserable play.
And of course getting a draft pick would have been sweet.
But now that the draft has come and gone, how long do we keep him around?
Part of me thinks the longer we keep him, the more his value drops as teams know he'll be released.
But on the other side, his value increases the longer we keep him "in case" another team loses a starter/quality backup to injury (seems it happens every year)
So to quote Jerry Seinfeld, "What's the deal"??

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Its not like the rams need the cap space you might as well hold on to him until cuts start having to be made. Who knows maybe a team loses a QB or two in training camp or preseason and get desperate and we can get a 3rd or 4th rounder next year.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Teams known for a long time he's getting the axe. June 1 cut maybe.
But then again what if another team loses a starter and offers much more for Keenum?
Keenum or Goff gets hurt in camp?
Right now he's free insurance.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have already paid the money on him this year, let him be a camp arm....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
But on the other side, his value increases the longer we keep him "in case" another team loses a starter/quality backup to injury (seems it happens every year)

Yeah it seems letting him come to camp and look good is the best option. Reportedly there were 5 teams before the draft inquiring on what the Rams wanted for Foles. Like you said if any teams have an injury before the season, or are not happy with their backup QB play, then maybe they get a 7th rounder for him.........or better yet trade Foles and a 7th for someones 6th.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Trade or keep him....Keenum & Foles are the same imo....I'd rather have Mannion as the backup....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Foles is a "free roll" until final cut downs.

He's not a problem until then. And even then only as a spent roster spot.

I think odds are quite high that some team will come a calling with an offer for a future draft pick before final cuts. And I think that the Rams will accept.

Won't be much though, so we shouldn't hold our breath, either way. Maybe a future 7th is all he'll fetch. Anything more would be a gift.

To say that Foles "didn't work out" for S&F would be a monumental understatement. Lol.

Ram Man

Rookie
Trade or keep him....Keenum & Foles are the same imo....I'd rather have Mannion as the backup....

You believe that Keenum and Foles "are the same"? Why?

Why would you rather have Mannion as the backup? To me he's an unknown quantity. Some around here had the perception that the Rams liked Mannion and were grooming him to take over at QB this year or next. Then the draft happened. The only thing we really know is that the Rams had a year to evaluate Mannion after drafting him in the 3rd round. After doing so they gave up a boatload of draft picks and bet their future on another young QB.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a world of difference between Mannion and Goff as prospects. They may feel that Mannion will develop into a solid backup/acceptable starter, and that Goff could become a star for the Rams. All trading up meant is that they didn't think Mannion's best case was as good as Goff's.

Another reason to keep Mannion of course, is that he's cheap for the next few years - Keenum and Foles are either free agents (Keenum) or very expensive in 2017 (Foles).

nighttrain

Legend
There's a world of difference between Mannion and Goff as prospects. They may feel that Mannion will develop into a solid backup/acceptable starter, and that Goff could become a star for the Rams. All trading up meant is that they didn't think Mannion's best case was as good as Goff's.

Another reason to keep Mannion of course, is that he's cheap for the next few years - Keenum and Foles are either free agents (Keenum) or very expensive in 2017 (Foles).
ya nailed it amigo
train

Ram Man

Rookie

Wanting Mannion to be the backup QB to Goff only makes sense if you are confident he can actually PLAY competently this year. No evidence of that yet.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think the whole Foles thing was the most disappointing part of the Snisher era. I still can't believe how much he fell off. I think he can still start in this league but not with the Rams, obviously.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wanting Mannion to be the backup QB to Goff only makes sense if you are confident he can actually PLAY competently this year. No evidence of that yet.

Keenum is the backup this year - Mannion is likely to be the #2 in 2017 and 2018, after a bit more experience in the preseason, in practice and possibly in games

Ram Man

Rookie
Keenum is the backup this year - Mannion is likely to be the #2 in 2017 and 2018, after a bit more experience in the preseason, in practice and possibly in games

Sounds like you don't agree with LAChamp46's comment above either.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the whole Foles thing was the most disappointing part of the Snisher era. I still can't believe how much he fell off. I think he can still start in this league but not with the Rams, obviously.
Who would have thought after that Seattle game that his career would go the way it did

RamzFanz

Damnit

Wow, that's so not fair.

Keenum had almost 7 1st down completions per game to Foles' 1.5. Keenum threw more TDs per game and had 1 INT to Foles' 10. Keenum was sacked far less and had a passer rating of 87.7 to Foles' 69.

He recorded a Rams record near "perfect game" vs the Bucs obtaining a 158.0 passer rating by going 14-17 for 2 TD's & 234 YDs.

He also led the Rams to their first win in Seattle since 2004.

He's the only QB on the team that has proven he can win games and had a winning record last season despite a probable concussion. He would have been 5-1 if Zuerlein had made one of the two missed field goals against the Niners.

Mannion, who I'm hopeful for, has a handful of meaningless NFL game day snap.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, that's so not fair.

Keenum had almost 7 1st down completions per game to Foles' 1.5. Keenum threw more TDs per game and had 1 INT to Foles' 10. Keenum was sacked far less and had a passer rating of 87.7 to Foles' 69.

He recorded a Rams record near "perfect game" vs the Bucs obtaining a 158.0 passer rating by going 14-17 for 2 TD's & 234 YDs.

He also led the Rams to their first win in Seattle since 2004.

He's the only QB on the team that has proven he can win games and had a winning record last season despite a probable concussion. He would have been 5-1 if Zuerlein had made one of the two missed field goals against the Niners.

Mannion, who I'm hopeful for, has a handful of meaningless NFL game day snap.
If Goff has a career like Eli Manning, you or I could be back up QB and it wouldn't make a difference