So...nobody is going to say it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Roger Goodell announces there will be no teams in LA next season!

Where did you get that from ?
OH here:?

Roger Goodell nixes L.A. team in 2015
Updated: December 20, 2014, 10:36 AM ET
By Adam Schefter | ESPN
As if there were any questions, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell put an end to them this week when he told the San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams that there will not be a team that moves to Los Angeles for next season, according to league sources.

[+] Enlarge
Kirby Lee/USA TODAY SportsThe Chargers announced they would stay in San Diego for the 2015 season after being told by Roger Goodell that the NFL would not accept any relocation bids to Los Angeles in 2015, according to sources.

Goodell also told the Chargers, Raiders and Rams -- each of whom can file a relocation application for the 2015 season starting Jan. 1 -- that any team that is considering relocating to Los Angeles should look to 2016 instead, according to sources.

Once Goodell delivered that message to teams, the Chargers announced that they were going to be staying in San Diego.

Goodell's message still doesn't stop a team such as the Raiders or Rams from filing a relocation application. But those applications, which would require a super majority for approval, would not have the league's support and likely would be rejected.

So the wait for a team in Los Angeles now is expected to go on until 2016, at least.

The Chargers announced Tuesday that they will not exercise their right to terminate their lease at Qualcomm Stadium, stating that they will continue their attempt to build "a Super Bowl-quality" stadium in San Diego.

According to team executive Mark Fabiani, the Chargers are keeping a watchful eye on what happens in Los Angeles, with 30 percent of the team's local revenue -- which includes advertising, sponsorships, club seats and suites -- originating in the Los Angeles market.

ESPN.com Chargers reporter Eric D. Williams contributed to this report.

Big Willie

Starter
It is good news, but When San Diego said they were staying put this year I knew there would not be a team in LA in 2015. My belief is that when it happens, there will be two teams in LA. The Raiders and..... a team TBD (but not the Rams).

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I'm happy to hear no one's moving next year.

I'm not so happy that there's going to be another year of relocation rumors.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
It is good news, but When San Diego said they were staying put this year I knew there would not be a team in LA in 2015. My belief is that when it happens, there will be two teams in LA. The Raiders and..... a team TBD (but not the Rams).

I have no idea why two teams except to offset stadium cost, but why share the market ?when you are the only one in town where you are , I can see the Cali teams being receptive because one shares a metro area already and the other is going to be in a three team market anyway if you consider San Diego and LA as being close to the same market since they overlap .

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But this is also the first year I can remember that we are talking about a new stadium. So if we get that in place, we don't have to worry about it ever again.

reggae

I believe you are absolutely 100% wrong. Stan is about making money. His team easily triples in value by moving to LA. Why wouldn't he move?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Two teams? Yikes, that's gonna be hard to support in that market IMO.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
But this is also the first year I can remember that we are talking about a new stadium. So if we get that in place, we don't have to worry about it ever again.

If you read Bernie's column ,apparently the guys on the point of the new stadium "task force" notified the league they were going to submit a proposal and that the league would not allow a move for the Rams until that was done.Went on to say that SK hasn't resolved the cross ownership issue and that until that's done he doesn't need to be at odds with the league on a second issue IOW move without permission.
ARDUNNO it would be better if it wasn't that the team stayed under duress and IMO a guy with Kroenkes wealth isn't accustomed to being forced to do things someone else's way .

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I have no idea why two teams except to offset stadium cost, but why share the market ?when you are the only one in town where you are , I can see the Cali teams being receptive because one shares a metro area already and the other is going to be in a three team market anyway if you consider San Diego and LA as being close to the same market since they overlap .
Hi Thor
In no way are San Diego and LA competing markets If you have a population in excess of three time of that than other NFL Market then the NFL theory must be that you can support 2 teams.Orange County is the neighboring county and would be the overlap and still a county capable of drawing support for professional sports from the surrounding area with the Ducks and Angels.
I am just waiting for this circus to finally end it has been a distraction and a point of contention amongst the ranks and need to be resolved.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I believe you are absolutely 100% wrong. Stan is about making money. His team easily triples in value by moving to LA. Why wouldn't he move?

The Rams dollar valuation is mostly important if Kroenke wants to sell the team (and maybe he does), and as an ego boost for the owner I suppose.

Operating costs and taxes will also be significantly lower in MO, but that may not matter to Kroenke.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If you read Bernie's column ,apparently the guys on the point of the new stadium "task force" notified the league they were going to submit a proposal and that the league would not allow a move for the Rams until that was done.Went on to say that SK hasn't resolved the cross ownership issue and that until that's done he doesn't need to be at odds with the league on a second issue IOW move without permission.
ARDUNNO it would be better if it wasn't that the team stayed under duress and IMO a guy with Kroenkes wealth isn't accustomed to being forced to do things someone else's way .

Well I've always thought that he wants the team in STL playing in a venue that he owns, and I think that'll happen in the not to distant future.

LA is a very, very wildly divergent market. I had to purchase TV and radio there for an event I helped with about 8 years ago and the radio was a morass of all things imaginable.

I will look for the article, I posted it on the Herd I think, about the best selling pro sports jerseys of all kinds in the SoCal market. Tops on the list was the Mexican soccer team. College football in a couple of cases even out paced the Lakers.

The NFL is assuming a risk by placing a team there because the competition for sports entertainment in LA is the stiffest in the US and maybe the stiffest in the world. An NFL team is going to be surrounded by a few college teams with HUGE fan bases that will spend their money in those stadiums before they do in an NFL venue, there are millions of immigrants who don't follow the NFL, there are transplants from all over the US that already follow a different team and will probably only go to the stadium to see them when they are in town. There are two NBA teams and two NHL teams and two MLB teams too. Not to mention soccer/lacrosse.

This isn't as easy as a lot of people think, you can't just pop a team in LA and instantly it's a success. If this was the case there would already be a team there. We have seen expansion and moves to the following markets.

Baltimore
Cleveland
Jacksonville
Carolina
Nashville
Houston

I think that tells us it is something the NFL wants, but knows all the stars have to align or it is a potential mess.

@MerlinJones SK doesn't even sell shares in his teams, he does the opposite. He's not going to sell the Rams.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I think that question has been answered over and over, and that money isn't the mans soul motivator ,he's already the second wealthiest owner in the league and I think that could be without counting his wife's money.

Alan

Legend
They have no stadium (though they could temporarily play in some college stadium), they don't even have approval for a stadium site. It would probably, considering that parking and access roads needing to be built and integrated into the existing infrastructure, take a couple three years to build . So it's pretty much telling us that the sky is blue.

Unless I'm missing something.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Ugh. This smacks of Goodell changing the rules as he goes again.

Of course, I can see how this would make the St. Louis fans happy, but this guy is a clown who needs to go ASAP.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Hi Thor
In no way are San Diego and LA competing markets If you have a population in excess of three time of that than other NFL Market then the NFL theory must be that you can support 2 teams.Orange County is the neighboring county and would be the overlap and still a county capable of drawing support for professional sports from the surrounding area with the Ducks and Angels.
I am just waiting for this circus to finally end it has been a distraction and a point of contention amongst the ranks and need to be resolved.
I read that 30% of San Diego's local revenues come from LA currently,so when teams( plural) move in there it can't help but effect that

According to team executive Mark Fabiani, the Chargers are keeping a watchful eye on what happens in Los Angeles, with 30 percent of the team's local revenue -- which includes advertising, sponsorships, club seats and suites -- originating in the Los Angeles market

IOW a three team area if one isn't the Chargers

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
My solution:

Texas, Florida and New York all have 3 teams. Sorry---gotta give one up.

Let's say the Bills. They move to L.A.---change their name to the Rams, the Arizona team becomes the Bills and St. Louis becomes the Cardinals.

Of course this means California will have 4 teams and must give the 49ers to North Korea.

Or we could just give the 9ers to North Korea.

Sorry--just trying to get rid of the 9ers.

FRO

Legend
I'm happy they will be back next year. I do feel bad for the LA fans. They have some quality football fans. In all reality the Rams should be in LA still and St Louis should have been awarded the Jaguars over Jacksonville. But since the Rams are here and I am hooked, I hope they never leave.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Roger Goodell announces there will be no teams in LA next season!
God has spoken, therefore it shall be.

What a silver-spoon-fed tool. I've grown more than tired of entrenched power in this country. Their arrogance is beyond untenable.

Status
Not open for further replies.