So, Manziel anyone?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey, l know how people feel about Johnny. And I do get it. He's a head case. But, correct me if I'm wrong, has he been suspended by the league? I know the team suspended him but not sure about the league. Too lazy to check. People would take a chance on Josh Gordon but not Johnny? Really? Now does Johnny have issues? Oh, yes. The big one being alcohol. Among other things. But I'd be willing to roll the dice as they say. Maybe Fisher can reach this kid. I don't know. Personally, I'm not really invested if he comes here or not. Just answering the thread's main question. Put me down for "yay". Maybe he matures. I'm not really patient enough to wait on some kid in the draft. I guess we'll see. I have no choice either way.

Only suspended by the Browns.

Yep, people are willing to take a chance on Gordon. Because Gordon was a top 5 WR when he was on the field a few years ago. Manziel has been a backup caliber QB. Good/great players get a million second chances. Mediocre players don't.

I have no interest in rolling the dice on mediocrity.

As for being patient enough to wait on some kid in the draft, you want to acquire a QB that has put up worse career numbers than the numbers both the first round rookie starters put up last year. So yea, I'll take a rookie starter over Manziel.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
Only suspended by the Browns.

Yep, people are willing to take a chance on Gordon. Because Gordon was a top 5 WR when he was on the field a few years ago. Manziel has been a backup caliber QB. Good/great players get a million second chances. Mediocre players don't.

I have no interest in rolling the dice on mediocrity.

As for being patient enough to wait on some kid in the draft, you want to acquire a QB that has put up worse career numbers than the numbers both the first round rookie starters put up last year. So yea, I'll take a rookie starter over Manziel.

He's started 14 games at the QB position. Too small a sample size to say what he is or isn't long term. Hasn't even played 16 games. And I'm not a fan of Johnny by the way. I just say I'd take a look at him. Personally, when he was coming out I thought his ceiling was Jeff Garcia. I'd take that.

Rainram

Starter
You cut that statement a bit short. I think what you mean is, "He can play...worse than Josh McCown."

Manziel hasn't played well on the field and has been a complete headache off of it. I'm desperate for a QB...but I'm desperate for the right QB. Johnny can go party in Texas.

I'd like this 100 times if I could.

From a sheer football standpoint I don't want him. I didn't like him one bit when he came out. I don't know what people see in him as a QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's started 14 games at the QB position. Too small a sample size to say what he is or isn't long term. Hasn't even played 16 games. And I'm not a fan of Johnny by the way. I just say I'd take a look at him. Personally, when he was coming out I thought his ceiling was Jeff Garcia. I'd take that.

In two years. Who was he competing with? He was a first round pick. That should speak volumes.

If he was Jeff Garcia, we'd all take that. But thus far, he's been more Todd Marinovich than Jeff Garcia.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
:headexplosion::headexplosion::headexplosion:LET IT FREAKING GO!:headexplosion::headexplosion::headexplosion:
No suck-ass party boy. He isn't a good player. And a worse teammate.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two weeks prior vs the 9ers one of his better games period in the NFL:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Highlights from week 15 in Seattle could not find one for him:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

penismanziel.png

that caricature on the right is perfect for him. dickhead supreme.

manzielsign.png

WestCoastRam

Legend
Merlin, your enthusiasm is great but you can't put out a guys highlight reels and let that be the whole story.

1) His lowlights this last season were pretty bad.
2) Even if he could play at the level you see in the highlights regularly, he's one mistake away from being suspended for many games or how about the fact that he doesn't even show up to the team's facility when he's supposed to be there.
3) Even if he's worth a chance, and everything he's done shows he's not, he takes up the space of another QB who then takes up coaches time and takes up reps. It's not always as simple as take a chance on a guy when you have a limited number of roster spots - especially at the most important position.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Johnny can run and escape pressure by bailing on the pocket i get that part. He played in 9 games last season. He fumbled SIX times(lost THREE).
5 INT's in that same time frame. I don't like QB's that make alot of costly mistakes. I didn't like Austin Davis. I also don't believe Manziel has an NFL body. He's going to get snapped in half eventually.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/03/...ewton-johnny-manziel-goodell-psi-measurements

Johnny Manziel is history in Cleveland. Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported the Browns will waive Manziel when the league year begins in March, quoting Browns EVP Sashi Brown as saying Manziel’s “continual involvement in incidents that run counter to those expectations undermines the hard work of his teammates and the reputation of our organization.”

I said in Week 17, when Manziel skipped treatment on the last game of the year to go to Vegas (such a Manziel thing to do), that the Browns were done with him. And another issue when the cops were called on him and a girlfriend in Texas was beyond the last straw. I say beyond because they already were going to be rid of him; this just made the process easier and cleaner.

Manziel certainly wants to be signed by Dallas, and maybe Jerry Jones will accommodate him. But unless Manziel gets some professional help for his demons/problems, it won’t matter who signs him. His talent will never surface in the NFL. - Peter King

RamBill

Legend
Could the Rams be a landing spot for Johnny Manziel?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...uld-rams-be-a-landing-spot-for-johnny-manziel

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The Cleveland Browns made it abundantly clear Tuesday that their time employing quarterback Johnny Manziel will be over sooner rather than later.

ESPN Browns reporter Pat McManamon offered confirmation from a league source that Cleveland will part ways with Manziel in March. The Browns could theoretically make the move as soon as Monday but will wait for salary-cap purposes.

Sashi Brown, Cleveland's executive vice president of football operations, released a statement that strongly indicated the Browns will not be retaining Manziel.

"We've been clear about expectations for our players on and off the field," the statement reads. "Johnny's continual involvement in incidents that run counter to those expectations undermines the hard work of his teammates and the reputation of our organization. His status with our team will be addressed when permitted by league rules. We will have no further comment at this time."

Manziel's latest run-in with the law -- police were called for an alleged assault in Fort Worth, Texas, last weekend and Dallas and Fort Worth police are investigating along with the NFL -- will have to play out before any team can legitimately look at whether to add Manziel.

Still, the Los Angeles Rams have been connected to Manziel in the past and probably will be again moving forward.

In fact, ESPN's Ed Werder reported Tuesday that Manziel has told people close to him that the Rams are one of three teams, along with the Dallas Cowboys and Kansas City Chiefs, that have expressed interest in him.

Johnny Manziel
Could the Rams be a landing spot for Johnny Manziel as he runs out of time in Cleveland?
That alleged connection doesn't lack validity though it's far from certain. The Rams did extensive homework on Manziel leading up to the draft in 2014. That interest included private workouts and interviews.

"He can throw the football, he’s got very good pocket awareness, he’s got eyes that remain very disciplined down field and when it’s time to go, he goes and he makes people miss," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said at the 2014 scouting combine. "He didn’t win the Heisman because he wasn’t a good football player. He’s fun to watch."

The Rams ultimately opted to use their two first-round picks on offensive tackle Greg Robinson and defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

At the time, Fisher attempted to downplay the interest in Manziel, perhaps as a way to instill confidence in Sam Bradford, who has since been traded. But there were reports that the Rams at least briefly pondered trading back up for Manziel after taking Robinson and Donald.

Of course, it's now easy to dismiss potential interest given all that's happened to Manziel in the time since. But as recently as Dec. 18, 2015, Fisher was singing Manziel's praises before the Browns played Seattle in a game that could have mathematically kept the Rams in playoff contention.

“I’ve always been a Johnny Manziel fan," Fisher said then. "We had a private workout and had visits. I think he’s an NFL talent and he can win games."

But whether Fisher and the Rams view Manziel as a quarterback who can win games for them still seems like a bit of a reach. Any evaluation of Manziel's fit now would have to begin with his off-field troubles. His inability to take responsibility and be reliable in Cleveland raises plenty of questions about whether he could do that anywhere, let alone in a larger market like Los Angeles where there would be a lot of eyes on his every move and plenty of temptation.

Past that, the Rams would have to ask themselves whether Manziel would actually be an upgrade to their quarterback position. While the Rams duo of Nick Foles and Case Keenum combined to finish last in the league in most major passing categories, Keenum had some success at the end of the season and doesn't come with any of the baggage Manziel does.

Manziel isn't exactly a proven commodity, either. In his time in Cleveland, he was 2-6 as the starter with his completion percentage, yards per attempt and touchdown-to-interception ratio all ranking in the bottom five of the league among 43 quarterbacks with at least 350 action plays over the past two years.

The reality is Manziel has a lot to figure out on his own before teams, the Rams included, can really even consider bringing him on board.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
We have a few back up QB's on the roster already, no need to add another.